• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking through distorted upper inner corner of glasses when rifle shooting

ltrshooter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2011
Georgia
Does anyone else seem to look through the upper inner corner of their glasses when rifle shooting? The glass lenses are ground to be optically correct right in front of the pupil in center of lense and when looking through the corner next to the bridge there is distortion. Years ago I tried ess ice with optical inserts but there was so much distortion either from the insert rx or the ballistic lenses I gave up. I am thinking of trying them again and trying to have my optometrist make that corner of the lense optically correct. I am also considering getting a pair of champion or mec shooting glasses to use when shooting 22. Am I the only over 50 shooter trying to work around this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I often shoot with military style aviator glasses. The frames are very thin and lenses large to give a wide corrected FOV when using head mounted optical equipment. The edge of the lenses are as good as the center and they are light years better than average commercial eyeglasses. They look really gay, but work amazingly well.

I've been shooting with glasses for many years. You need to bring the scope height up so you can look through the glasses properly. My scope height is over 2".

I've worn glasses since I was about 7 or 8 years old (41 now)....and I've never had that issue...I've always mounted my scopes as low as possible, my current rifle has a 30mm scope mounted in TPS super low rings (.820" )...

There has to be another solution besides raising the scope.

I'm thinking different styled glasses...mine are relatively small framed glasses with smallish lenses, they don't interfere with my cheek weld, and I can look straight through them.

Are you sure the problem is the glasses and not your eyes...it could be that you're just having trouble focusing on the reticle even though you are looking through your glasses right.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use Randolph Ranger frames, they put the center of the lens higher than straight ahead.

Works well for all shooting I do.

search Decot shooting glasses. they offer shooting glasses with your perscription and may be able to help get them optically correct.

i suffer from the same problem. just didn't call them yet.

BTW, I get my Randolph Ranger frames and lenses from Morgan Otical. They are shooters and will be glad to help you out about what will work best (they carry other frames).

The Rangers are also interchangeable lenses. So I have Brown (improves contrast for bright days), Yellow (for indoors or overcast), Target Purple (for clays).