• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking to be educated...

Helidonna

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Montucky
I'm wanting to buy a LR scope and for the most part am looking at a Nightforce. I'll be using the scope on a 7mm rm with 180 gr burgers to shoot paper and maybe elk if I can learn to shoot them at distance. The question is which model and how to learn to use it @ 1000 +. Retical choice is another problem I have which one, also would like a zero stop if practical for my use. Money is irrelevent and so is my time to learn, I want a scope that I will not out grow with knowledge but would also allow me to start learning how to shoot accuratly at distance. I have been lurking around your site and have learned allot already, but thirst for more. Thanks for your help, it won't be wasted I assure you.

Re: Looking to be educated...

Welcome to SH
smile.gif

If money is no object, and you are leaning towards NF, get the mil/mil F1 with MLR reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidonna</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> on a 7mm rm with 180 gr burgers to shoot paper and maybe elk if I can learn to shoot them at distance. </div></div> Only at distance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stringer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If money is no object, and you are leaning towards NF, get the mil/mil F1 with MLR reticle.</div></div> +1 an excellent choice.

Take a good look at US Optics! Nightforce is a great scope but you can get exactly what you need from the boys at USO.

I too am looking at the nightforce 5-22 as well as the USO 3-17, I will be going mil/mil. I'm shooting a surgeon 260 w/ 26" krieger 1:8 MTU. I will be shooting as far as the 260 will go 1400 yds+ per JBM depending on elevation, laupa 139. They are both within my price range. If given the choice between the two what say the hide.

Pros for the Nightforce As i see it: Higher magnifacation, slightly cheaper

Cons as I see it, No FFP, goofy zoom, fixed led

Pros as I see the USO: FFP, better led, normal zoom, reticle of my choosing
Cons: Less magnifcation, a few hundred bucks more.

Lazuris, I think you have made it clear in your post which one to get
wink.gif

Both great scopes, but seems like you like most of the features on the USO, and 5x (17x vs 22x) won't cause you to miss a shot. Few hundred bucks more to pay for the features you want, and with the life span of a scope, I would think it is no big deal.

Again, both great scopes, strong, track true, but if you are focusing on the features, and customization, the answer is clear.

Dyl..

Well to be fair I will be touring the USO plant in fulleton next week so I'm sure they will have an opinion
smile.gif

I have had both and I am sticking w/NF. The goofy zoom actually turns into a + while in a hunting situation and I first thought it was a bad idea but it has grown on me. I know that I am going to get some crap for this but I really like the NF MLR reticle better than the USO MIL. I cannot remember which MIL reticle I had but it was too thick for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. I cannot remember which MIL reticle I had but it was too thick for me</div></div>

So was that the reason you liked the NF better? Or were there any other reasons?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazuris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. I cannot remember which MIL reticle I had but it was too thick for me</div></div>

So was that the reason you liked the NF better? Or were there any other reasons? </div></div>

I also like the parallax adjustments better than the ergo on the USO and I also liked the illumination.

Sounds to me like your not really sure of what you want, or what your needs will be. If I were you, I would do lots of research on the hide. I'm sure these gents all have great opinions. I have been lucky enough to own many of these high end pieces of glass. You should really LOOK before you buy. They all have strong points. This means the reverse is also true.