• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to build a hunting rifle for copper bullets only.

ssteve

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2011
Live in California and we can't us lead anymore. Recently finished load development on my current 6.5cm using the barnes 120 ttsx. Shoots well out to about 700 yards and I will be using it as my varmint rifle but at 14lbs its more than I want to pack around.

Looking to build a rifle with a big horn action and a proof prefit most likely but want to go up to something that will push a bit more weight for larger game at distance. Considering 6.5prc, 6.5x284, 28 nosler or 300prc. Problem being is projectile choices and knowing what will work without running into issues. Researching solids I have heard everything from they need more twist rat cause of the bullet length to less twist cause of less mass, chambers should be cut different etc.

Wondering if you guys had any insight on a setup with coppers that would work for me without too much issue?

Have you tried Hammer bullets they are all copper and I and many others have found them to be very easy to find very accurate loads. I have only used them on one Black Bear using my 375 Ruger, the bear was quartered towards me and I hit the top of the shoulder completely shattering the shoulder ball. The bullet exited just on the other side of the diaphragm, exit was about 2 inches in diameter showing the bullet expanded but not explosively as would be assumed with a mono-copper bullet. He went about 20 yards and gave an amazingly loud groan of death.

140 tsx Barnes bullets shoot great out of a factory Remington 700 barrel chambered in 270 win- with whatever twist Rem uses. The 168s shoot equally well out of a factory DPMS lr-308 barrel 1:10 twist. Both are sub moa out to 600y. I wouldn't sweat the twist too much. But, Barnes would be the people to ask- give them a call.

Call Steve at Hammer Bullets, he's a wealth of information. Hammer Bullets kick ass , and if you try them and aren't satisfied Steve will buy them back from you . If you hand load they're by far the best copper hunting bullets in my opinion.

Unfortunately I can’t justify the cost of hammer bullets. I would like to put some rounds through this gun and use whatever bullet I hunt with for targets also.

I’ve had good luck with cutting edge bullets,they do require a slightly faster twist than most standard bullets.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
I don’t target shoot with my hunting rifle, and as a result have several lifetimes worth of ammunition for my “deer rifle.” Shoot it to confirm zero. Shoot a deer. Put it away for next year. Rinse. Repeat. Shoot paper and steel with the less expensive copper jacketed lead core bullets. TMKs, SMKs, ELD-Ms, etc are all cheaper than the all copper bullets, and are purpose built for target shooting.

Barnes are good.

Hornady is offering an all copper bullet in loaded ammo now as well.

I dont shoot my hunting rifle much at all, like hlee above.

Confirm zero. 2x Check dope to 300 (furthest I hunt) and done.

Do you intend to reload or use factory loaded lead free ammo?

I reload. My intention is to buy a couple hundred rounds of factory ammo on decent brass for barrel breakin and then after that I’ll only run the one projectile and normally I would buy whatever is needed to last the life of the barrel or what’s reasonably close to it. With this next rifle and the cost of solids I’ll probably just buy around 500 projectiles as that will most likely last the life of the rifle.

Barnes are good.

Hornady is offering an all copper bullet in loaded ammo now as well.

I dont shoot my hunting rifle much at all, like hlee above.

Confirm zero. 2x Check dope to 300 (furthest I hunt) and done.

This won’t be a dedicated hunting rifle, I’d like to use it for some long range plinking as well.

wanted a copper gun well a gun that is to go through the process of chroming but stops at the copper look .think it could look neat anyway , old wood fixtures specially when the copper oxidizes or what ever the process is , and turn greenish .no idea if its practical or not .

Even "cheap" all copper bullets are >$0.60 each- before you add powder and primer and possibly new dies and your time and and and. Even California hasn't outlawed lead bullets for target shooting. It's your gun/money/life, so you do you. But, I'd preserve the barrel life of my hunting rifle, as well as save those expensive bullets, for targets that matter.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
A New Mexico orxy I shot this weekend with my hunting 6.5 creedmoor set up. Using the 130gr barnes tsx traveling at 2864 I think the creedmoor will be plenty for North America game. Comes down to being able to a round into the engine room and make a clean kill.
The bullet passed though both sides. And orxy are known for being tough animals.

Attachments

• 20190929_161422.jpg
    20190929_161422.jpg
    747.6 KB · Views: 40
I reload. My intention is to buy a couple hundred rounds of factory ammo on decent brass for barrel breakin and then after that I’ll only run the one projectile and normally I would buy whatever is needed to last the life of the barrel or what’s reasonably close to it. With this next rifle and the cost of solids I’ll probably just buy around 500 projectiles as that will most likely last the life of the rifle.
Because you want to plink with your new gun I suggest you go with 6.5 PRC due to better barrel life than the 28 Nosler. I also suggest you use Hammer or Cutting Edge bullets because they will open up at much lower speeds than a regular non-fragmenting copper bullet (e.g., Hornady GMX). Yes you will be paying more for bullets but you will get a longer effective range.

I think your best bet is to go with a 6.5 PRC, Hammer Bullets (for hunting), and regular bullets for cheaper plinking.

Lehigh Defense puts out a few lines of well-made accurate copper bullets and they are significantly cheaper than Barnes or Hammer or cutting edge. The 122 gr 6.5 mm controlled chaos is a great bullet.

Lehigh Defense puts out a few lines of well-made accurate copper bullets and they are significantly cheaper than Barnes or Hammer or cutting edge. The 122 gr 6.5 mm controlled chaos is a great bullet.

great info. Gotta try some of those. Thanks.

Because you want to plink with your new gun I suggest you go with 6.5 PRC due to better barrel life than the 28 Nosler. I also suggest you use Hammer or Cutting Edge bullets because they will open up at much lower speeds than a regular non-fragmenting copper bullet (e.g., Hornady GMX). Yes you will be paying more for bullets but you will get a longer effective range.

I think your best bet is to go with a 6.5 PRC, Hammer Bullets (for hunting), and regular bullets for cheaper plinking.

All good points. Might have to do that. Maybe develop a load with cheaper coppers for varmints and get some hammers for game animals.

Reactions: Franko