• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to Build a low weight ar-10

idiotwave

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2022
Oregon
So, I'm looking to build a low weight ar-10. The main purpose is to be a DMR-ish rifle for LARP purposes. I'm not looking for ultimate precision, but I am looking for "minute of man" at 5-700 yards (with 700 being the extreme limit of what I'd ever expect), so I'd say 2-3 MOA is probably acceptable, though of course tighter is always better. Budget is a high priority, and I'm really thinking a max of around 275-300.

Given these criteria, I was wondering what folks here have experienced with the faxon big gunner 16"? I'm not tied to it necessarily, but I can get it for a pretty solid price (just over 190 shipped) and the super low weight is really tempting. Many people seem to get that 2-3 MOA out of it. However, depending on accuracy gains, I'm willing to gain a little weight- lets say 3.5oz per MOA gained in accuracy, price up to 300 as stated earlier, though that would be starting to stretch my budget pretty thin and I'd like to stay under 250.

Thanks for any advice. If anything I'm saying seems misguided, feel free to do your best to correct my misconceptions.

Lightweight AR 10 for $250???

This is literally impossible

Or is this just barrel?? Reading again I think just barrel budget

Reactions: BLEE and idiotwave
LARP? Live action role play? Might get a barrel for 250

Your MOA expectations are reasonable, and may even be exceeded, especially with a good build technique. Ammo selection will be a factor. Unless Faxon has changed their specs on that particular barrel recently, there are some potential issues, one being gas tube length.

Lightweight AR 10 for $250???

This is literally impossible

Or is this just barrel?? Reading again I think just barrel budget
Oh yeah, to be clear, budget for the barrel only.
Aero Precision and Ballistic Advantage both have some good deals.
I was checking them out just now and i saw they have a govt profile barrel that allegedly has a 1 moa guarantee. Also just about 6oz more which runs right into my weight budget, and being about $30 cheaper. That looks like it might be a winner. Despite their 1 moa guarantee, what do people usually actually see out of them? Let's assume I'm competent at building (haven't done an ar-10 before but have done a few ar-15 builds).

Basic Armalite DEF-10.

Spend a little more and get an SLR rail.

DEF-10.jpg

Reactions: Jsp556 and LRRPF52
Ruger SFAR ?
If those were 6.5 CM, I'd have one already LOL
although I am tempted by the lower ammo costs...

Reactions: BCP
My 16” Faxon Gunner 308 is a 1 moa barrel with good ammo. Here’s a picture at 600 yards with 168 FGMM as I walked my shots into the center. The inner circle is 6”. The gun is a 2A upper and lower set. Without optics, bipod and magazine it weights 5.9#. Lots of titanium parts in it.

C52D3CFF-DFCE-4C28-804C-CB442ED2CBFD.jpeg
1A20C4EE-DB5A-4025-AE7F-B9AC1BC48B69.jpeg
08915517-CA24-468F-B8EE-EA83ACF550AF.jpeg

Ruger SFAR is 6lb 13oz stock

Add lighter titanium grip screw, aluminum takedown pins, lighter stock, lighter grip. Could probably get it down to about sub 6.5lbs

Reactions: BCP
Check out wheeler tools for a lapping tool for trueing the upper receiver to the barrel extension. Might be able to squeeze out a little more accuracy.

Ruger SFAR is 6lb 13oz stock

Add lighter titanium grip screw, aluminum takedown pins, lighter stock, lighter grip. Could probably get it down to about sub 6.5lbs

I'd get the 16" model and put a PRI float tube on it, or maybe KAC handguard. Ruger has been around forever and they warranty everything, plus the rifles are all over the place for a grand.

Oh yeah, to be clear, budget for the barrel only.

I was checking them out just now and i saw they have a govt profile barrel that allegedly has a 1 moa guarantee. Also just about 6oz more which runs right into my weight budget, and being about $30 cheaper. That looks like it might be a winner. Despite their 1 moa guarantee, what do people usually actually see out of them? Let's assume I'm competent at building (haven't done an ar-10 before but have done a few ar-15 builds).
I can't help you on the lighter profile barrels, never used one in any of my builds. I do have a 18" Aero Precision barrel (manufactured by Ballistic Advantage) on my battle rifle - it shoots sub-MOA with 168 Fed GMM and tighter with developed handload. Nothing special on that rifle except a Geissele G2 trigger, lapped upper receiver at the barrel face, and bedded barrel extension. Otherwise it has a fixed gas block, carbine length buffer/spring, rifle-length gas tube, birdcage muzzle comp, etc etc. If BA is guaranteeing 1 MOA from a light 16" barrel at that price I'd try it once.

My barrel: https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/308-18-cmv-rifle-barrel

Ty

Hunting buddy and I both built lightweight 6.5 CM using 16” gunner profile barrels. Mine was 1MOA, his was 1.5. Different receiver types so could have been part of the difference. Worked well enough for our purposes, but have since switched to 20” proof CF to try and get more velocity.
Best benefit has been the +2 CAMGAS. Recoil is SO much better/smoother now. Also more accurate.

My AR-10 was purpose built to be lightweight (for a 10 anyway), and has a 16” Faxon pencil profile .308 barrel. I haven’t taken it out past 200 or so yards though…no need, at least for the scrub brush hog hunting I use it for here in Texas.

i-VW3DkvS.jpg

i-C6GDf3m.jpg

Can’t remember if this was a 50 or 100-yd zero when it had a different scope; probably a 50-yd zero for that kind of grouping…I’m frankly not that good of a shot, at least not usually quite that good at 100. LoL

i-hSJcSFs.jpg

Edit: Just weighed the BCGs I have for this one, and realize I really need to get this one back to the range and tune it for more reliable/consistent operation with the light(er) weight V7 carrier… Pic above is with the heavier BCG in place; this one:

i-XcQBQcd.jpg

Runs like a top with that full mass KAK carrier, but 6 ounces is a lot of mass to drop if I can get it to work; would drop my total rifle weight with optic to well under 8#

i-99Mt99n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sinister
I dig that metal finish looks like something out of Fallout
‘Battle Worn’ burnt bronze Cerakote… done when it was what all the cool kids were doing several years back.

Basically a burnt bronze under coat, baked/cured normally, followed by a light mist of black that’s partially sanded off after a quick cure, then put back in the oven and baked to a normal drying time/completion.