• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to buy LWRC REPR MKII Elite (6.5CM) - But now hesitating

Night Vision Viking

Distance & Darkness is an illusion
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2020
Europe
www.youtube.com
ARs have just been legal to hunt with in my country.
I already have a few ARs, but not allowed to hunt with those, only target shooting due to legislation (don't ask!).

I'm looking to buy my "holy grail", the LWRC REPR MKII Elite (6.5CM), in O.D. Green Cerakote etc.

I'm now hesitating because I just learnt that replacing the barrel will need the rifle to be sent back to LWRC, i.e. international shipping.
But perhaps I won't shoot so much with it? Love the Proof CF barrels, but the 6.5 Creedmoor wears more than the 7.62?

Intention is also to use it for DMR / PRS Semi-Auto competitions.
How accurate are these bastards? Is the piston system the wrong call?
I have a JP Rifles PCS-12 (6.5CM) at the moment for this purpose.

Anyone has one?
Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

Why not use your JP? You could replace the barrel with a CF proof if weight is a concern.

The standard gas systems have been working great for a long time.

I've got a MK I REPR, and it is not very suitable for carrying around either. Heavy guns for sure.
I know, this REPR wouldn't be carried a lot but still a huge difference vs. my JP and its current setup.

It's also about sights, suppressor etc. don't want to switch. Just look at the comp on the JP.

JP below.

Attachments

• krypton 2 2.PNG
    krypton 2 2.PNG
    6.1 MB · Views: 120
So you want to buy a rifle that will be a PITA to service because you don’t want to remove the self timing brake on your current rife to run a can and don’t want to ad a rail section to add a front sight?

Large frames are not known for being light. I'd run that JP without the ear bleeding brake and save some coin/headache of buying another.

If not, build another JP upper setup for how you want to hunt.

So you want to buy a rifle that will be a PITA to service because you don’t want to remove the self timing brake on your current rife to run a can and don’t want to ad a rail section to add a front sight?

There is NO way I'm removing and putting back anything on my barrel on a rifle that I'd actually like to kill animals and shoot precision at long distance with.

ARs have just been legal to hunt with in my country.
I already have a few ARs, but not allowed to hunt with those, only target shooting due to legislation (don't ask!).

I'm looking to buy my "holy grail", the LWRC REPR MKII Elite (6.5CM), in O.D. Green Cerakote etc.

I'm now hesitating because I just learnt that replacing the barrel will need the rifle to be sent back to LWRC, i.e. international shipping.
But perhaps I won't shoot so much with it? Love the Proof CF barrels, but the 6.5 Creedmoor wears more than the 7.62?

Intention is also to use it for DMR / PRS Semi-Auto competitions.
How accurate are these bastards? Is the piston system the wrong call?
I have a JP Rifles PCS-12 (6.5CM) at the moment for this purpose.

Anyone has one?
Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!
I have one ... and I LOVE it. I take it to our local gas-gun matches and it's almost unfair how much better and longer it shoots than anything else. It's definitely the last gun in my safe that I'd vote off the island. Swapping the Proof CF barrel was easy. Sent it back to LWRCI and they had it back to me in a week ... no big deal. Not cheap, but if you want a cheap hobby ... start collecting local butterflies.

I have one ... and I LOVE it. I take it to our local gas-gun matches and it's almost unfair how much better and longer it shoots than anything else. It's definitely the last gun in my safe that I'd vote off the island. Swapping the Proof CF barrel was easy. Sent it back to LWRCI and they had it back to me in a week ... no big deal. Not cheap, but if you want a cheap hobby ... start collecting local butterflies.

Thanks a lot. I got my "permit to buy" in the mail today. Only waited 3 months for it. :rolleyes:

I'm in Europe, so exporting won't be easy. I guess I'll have to replace the whole upper if I ever need to switch the barrel.

Thanks a lot. I got my "permit to buy" in the mail today. Only waited 3 months for it. :rolleyes:

I'm in Europe, so exporting won't be easy. I guess I'll have to replace the whole upper if I ever need to switch the barrel.
Might consider talking to LWRC about getting them to sell you the custom parts needed for barrel swapping - I’m assuming it’s the barrel extension. Then you could get the rifle rebarreled locally by a good smith.

Might consider talking to LWRC about getting them to sell you the custom parts needed for barrel swapping - I’m assuming it’s the barrel extension. Then you could get the rifle rebarreled locally by a good smith.

If the Police and Military who use them here, or their main dealer, don't have it I think it's a bit too much for me as well.

I'm not sure, but I think some kind of induction is used for the REPR?

If the Police and Military who use them here, or their main dealer, don't have it I think it's a bit too much for me as well.

I'm not sure, but I think some kind of induction is used for the REPR?

Oh wow. I guess some companies are more protective over their proprietary parts than others. I was able to get Zev to sell me their proprietary “left over” barrel nuts, handguards and screws, and wrenches for the DPMS G2 rifle they discontinued.

It sounds like the high cost in time, and shipping is going to be part of the price you pay for getting your grail rifle. How does your permit work, are you limited to owning only a small number of rifles total? What is someone in Sweden’s recourse if they develop buyers remorse or the rifle just isn’t what they had hoped?

Edit:
I just looked at the REPR Mk2 Elite https://www.lwrci.com/REPR-MKII-65-Creedmoor-Elite_p_260.html that is one nice rifle! I can see why you want one.

Last edited:
OP - I just commented on the issue of the MkII REPR's and their decision to go with CF barrels. In this thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/leaving-the-bolt-gun-for-a-semi-auto.7190751/page-2

A poster indicated he had great success with XYZ load, and here was my response to him:

"I know how those CF barrels begin to "walk" once warmed up, I've seen it so much that it's now blatantly obvious. So, your REPR may be precise for the first 5-10 rounds, but if you shoot anymore than that in a short period of time, you're not going to have as a good a result as you would if you were running straight steel.

In my world, the benefits of a gas gun are to be able to engage any COF with speed and precision. If not, you'd be better off running a bolt gun. With that speed comes heat. With CF barrels, as stated above, heat is the enemy to precision, which thereby mitigates the benefits of running a gas gun.

And let me be clear here, I'm not trying to come across as an asshole. LWRC makes great rifles and I'm happy you like yours, but I will never be convinced that running a CF barrel on any rifle outside of a hunting rifle, makes any sense."

If you're wanting to run this REPR in matches, ill advise on the CF barrel that the REPR comes with.

OP - I just commented on the issue of the MkII REPR's and their decision to go with CF barrels. In this thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/leaving-the-bolt-gun-for-a-semi-auto.7190751/page-2

A poster indicated he had great success with XYZ load, and here was my response to him:

"I know how those CF barrels begin to "walk" once warmed up, I've seen it so much that it's now blatantly obvious. So, your REPR may be precise for the first 5-10 rounds, but if you shoot anymore than that in a short period of time, you're not going to have as a good a result as you would if you were running straight steel.

In my world, the benefits of a gas gun are to be able to engage any COF with speed and precision. If not, you'd be better off running a bolt gun. With that speed comes heat. With CF barrels, as stated above, heat is the enemy to precision, which thereby mitigates the benefits of running a gas gun.

And let me be clear here, I'm not trying to come across as an asshole. LWRC makes great rifles and I'm happy you like yours, but I will never be convinced that running a CF barrel on any rifle outside of a hunting rifle, makes any sense."

If you're wanting to run this REPR in matches, ill advise on the CF barrel that the REPR comes with.
Interesting ... not my experience with my REPR MKII. Remember, the CF is a "wrap", not the core barrel metal. It's made for weight reduction and faster heat dissipation. I get mine pretty warm over the course of matches and target shooting, and have never seen a POA shift due to heat, or anything else for that matter. Now if you mag-dump and try to heat it up, all bets are off. Anyway, not arguing, just sharing my experiences with this exact rifle and barrel, where I get it pretty hot, and see no impact shift whatsoever ... on either my first, or second barrel.

Interesting ... not my experience with my REPR MKII. Remember, the CF is a "wrap", not the core barrel metal. It's made for weight reduction and faster heat dissipation. I get mine pretty warm over the course of matches and target shooting, and have never seen a POA shift due to heat, or anything else for that matter. Now if you mag-dump and try to heat it up, all bets are off. Anyway, not arguing, just sharing my experiences with this exact rifle and barrel, where I get it pretty hot, and see no impact shift whatsoever ... on either my first, or second barrel.
Yes sir, I do understand that the CF is just a wrap, and that under it, is a relatively narrow-contoured SS barrel.

It’s quite possible they’ve changed something over the years, possibly gone to a more robust SS contour? I remember years ago how many PR shooters and competitors went to CF barrels (obviously this was before the current “make your rifle so heavy it takes a fucking Sherpa to move it from A to B” movement that we see ourselves in). Even good friends I have, who ran CF on bolt guns, saw how poorly they performed once warmed up, and ended up getting out of them quicker than they got into them. The dudes I knew who tried them on gas guns had it worse. They always shot well the first 5-10 rounds, but the shot strings would end up going TU.

We could only speculate that the heat was making them walk. I’m glad your system is working better.

Congratulations on your order!! Please post some thoughts and a Range report here when you finally get it in hand.

I was hoping you’d get it. I’ve done the whole convince myself to buy something else other than my grail gun. I just ended up buying the grail gun later after deciding the other options I talked myself into just were not what I wanted.

Last edited: