• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to get a new press, need advice

Subxero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2012
PA
So been reloading for years, been using old Lyman turret press passed down from my father. Used to have no worries about this press as i was mostly loading for hunting. But now that i am loading more and more for long range and precision the turret style press which can have some very minor play in the turret has me concerned.

Therefore i am looking into getting a new single stage press.

Any suggestions for me?

Looking for a great solid press, does not need to be fancy. Just needs to be solid in construction, form and function.

Is there a reason to get a more expensive single stage over some of the cheaper ones??

thanks,
Joe

Re: Looking to get a new press, need advice

I upgraded from a Lee to a Redding T-7 press. Best thing I have done outside of getting a RCBS powdermaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captramrod01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I upgraded from a Lee to a Redding T-7 press. Best thing I have done outside of getting a RCBS powdermaster. </div></div>

ill look into that one for sure

thanks

if you really want a better press , maybe you should think about hand dies and an arbor press. K&M makes a pretty nice one.

personally, i dont think you'll see an improvement in group size from switching from turret to single stage, even if its a really nice single stage.

I have to ask, how are your groups now?

If you are getting better groups from factory ammo than hand loads and have worked up your best load than it may be time to look at your equipment. If you have excess play in the turret on your current press you may be able to repair the press. I am not familiar enough with the Lyman turret press to say if it has parts that can be replace to tighten it back up or not.

For a recommendation on a press, I have an RCBS RockChucker and a Redding T-7. I load my rifle ammo on the T-7. The RCBS is used with a collet puller and to work up pistol loads before I set them up on my progressive. Either press will meet your needs and make accurate ammo.

current reloads are good, could probably get new bushings or something for current press.

But still interested in a single stage press

Get Forster Co-Ax, it has 2-3 times more mechanical advantage v a T7, the best spent primer retention system going, the dies slide in and out, and the no shell holders to buy, the dies float and the shell holder floats so everything finds its natural center.

I had a Co-Ax. Nice press but I didn't care for the ergonomics and sold it. Bought a Redding Ultramag ... liked it so much I bought a second one. Bought a Lee Classic Cast ... excellent value and very well made. Bought a Lee Classic Turret ... liked it so much I bought a second one.

Lots of good presses out there but I think you get more bang for the accuracy buck with dies, especially the sliding sleeve seat dies like Forster or Redding.

I have an old bonanza co-ax and like it quite a bit!

Depending on what length of round you are loading the RockChucker will last a lifetime. If you're looking for top of the line I've read a lot of good thinks about the Co-Ax but haven't used one.

I also have a Redding Boss on a portable mount but don't like the primer catcher. If I were to buy a Redding O Press it would be the Big Boss II. Same primer catch as the T-7, 3.8 inch stroke, also same as the T-7.