• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to get into a couple bolt guns. Trying to find a starting place.

Phantommaggot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2020
First and foremost, are there any higher quality actions that take 308 size ar mags? the Mossberg MVP (which seems to be dead except for the scout) is cool and all but seems to suffer from some inconsistency. My brother has a MVP and to me the action is sloppy and accuracy is... variable. There's something special about a tight, slick action on a bolt gun. I'd like to build up a 6.5 creedmor or something other than .308 scout/bush type rifle ~18in, light, open sights along with a light scope. If I'm gonna be stuck with AI mags I could go with something bigger. long action or magnum. I really like the Ruger guide gun in 30-06 for reference but would like to be a bit lighter.
Lots of cool 'scout' rifles out there but they're heavy and .308. Guess I could buy a 110 brush hunter in 338 win mag :rolleyes:
I'd be down to get a Howa Super light if it uses AI mags instead of the WAY overpriced Howa option. Those mags have stopped me from buying a few Howas over the years. However, they seem to be unobtainable...

You guys seem to know all the bolt setups. Some of you at least. Do I have any other options?

Higher quality bolt and ar mags dont mix.
well, that's a shame.
Guess that helps me make the decision to go with a longer action maybe...
I've been digging a bit on my own.
Seems that a few companies make rifles i like but they are featured in a way I dislike. Usually heavy despite the brands making light rifles.
I really like that tikka T3x Arctic but 9lbs? Really and not threaded past the open sights... Also only available in .308/6.5... maybe in 7 mag..
Ruger has the guide gun and in 30-06 which would be fun. But 8 lbs is rough too and any time I've handled a ruger scout (which IIRC is the same action) it was super sloppy and I just didn't like it.
I have a 1917 in 30-06.. may as well just carry that around.. It's slick too. That bolt is NICE. Obviously that isn't gonna happen.
So, I want something that will shoot just fine out of a 18-20" barrel. Shoot pretty flat. Action is silky smooth. Can find boxes on the shelf pretty much anywhere. Not a heavy pig. Would love good open sights. I like open sights on everything and consistently practice with them. Light weight. Box mags and not .308.
7mm-08, 6.5creedmoor are options but if I'm going on with it guess I can go longer action. 7mm mag would maybe too much for a 20" barrel but it's on the shelf and 7PRC is not. 7mm mag seems like a lot but it's no more expensive on the shelf than other hunting loads.
I should probably just build something...