• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to get into handloading. Couple Qs!

9mmkungfu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2009
VA
I want to load 3-4 calibers, mainly .300 BLK, with some .308 and 9mm (possibly a 4th caliber, undetermined).

I'm leaning toward the Hornady LnL AP for its ease in caliber changeover, free bullets, and general good reviews.

I'd like to get everything I need to load .300 BLK immediately, and I'll add the other stuff later.

I was thinking:

Press
Dies
Powder measure/dispenser combo (how's that smartreloader isd?)
Casefeeder
Calipers
Tumbler (ss media)

Besides bullets, brass, primers, and powder, what am I missing? Thanks guys.

Re: Looking to get into handloading. Couple Qs!

Case trimmer, a chamfer/debur tool. Off the top of my head, I would get a hand primer..

Be sure you get a bullet puller so you an safely take apart your mistakes.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">II'm leaning toward the Hornady LnL AP for its ease in caliber changeover, free bullets, and general good reviews. </div></div>

Without taking anything away from LnL::

The time it takes to change from one caliber to another is miniscule when reloading a batch of cases. That is, when reloading a batch of 100 fired cases, might take all of 20 seconds to unscrew in one die and screw in another die out of the 2 hours of total involvement in the reload process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to load 3-4 calibers, mainly .300 BLK, with some .308 and 9mm (possibly a 4th caliber, undetermined).

I'm leaning toward the Hornady LnL AP for its ease in caliber changeover, free bullets, and general good reviews.

I'd like to get everything I need to load .300 BLK immediately, and I'll add the other stuff later.

I was thinking:

Press
Dies
Powder measure/dispenser combo (how's that smartreloader isd?)
Casefeeder
Calipers
Tumbler (ss media)

Besides bullets, brass, primers, and powder, what am I missing? Thanks guys. </div></div>

You'll need some lube, or a lube pad. You might as well sport for the Hornady/Stoney point gages, headspace, bullet comparators and/or the COAL tools and modified cases.

I went with the RCBS ChargeMaster1500, but since you're going Hornady for the press, see if you can't get a deal on one of theirs?

As others have said, a kinetic bullet puller and a campher/deburring tool are musts.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Dillon(800 762 3844)and get on their mailing list. IT'S FREE.
Cheers,
LG </div></div>

Huh?

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Powder measure: RCBS Chargemaster combo
Calipers: Already have a set
Case trimmer: Possum Hollow, until I can afford a Giraud
Case lube: RCBS Lube Die
Chamfer tool: RCBS Chamfer tool w/ PH power adapter
Media/tumbler: SS, Thumler rotary
Powder trickler: Frankford Arsenal
Bullet puller: Not sure?

I have a few questions. I mainly want to load for 300 BLK. Can I use RCBS Lube Die #2 (fits 7.62x39, 300 BLK is 7.62x35), or do I need a different lube die?

If I'm using the Chargemaster, do I need the powder trickler?

Do I need a shellplate for each die? For 300 BLK, which should I get? Which brand works best? I was on Midway and the Hornady stuff is mostly out of stock.

Do I need a handheld bullet puller or press-mounted?

Im not trying to be a smart about it at all, because your on the right track and asking great questions. The first thing I would do is go to your local sporting goods store and buy a hornady reloading manual and take a evening and read. It will give you the basic tools you should need and steps to reloading. You can get by with a little or you can spend a lot of $ on reloading equipment, its all what you want to do. I use a lyman turret press, it works great for loading different calibers. If your loading bulk the progressive is great. If your loading for accuracy, a single stage is what you want. I see your from VA, if your around south west VA I would be happy meet up and give you some help getting started. Anyway good luck and have fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not trying to be a smart about it at all, because your on the right track and asking great questions. The first thing I would do is go to your local sporting goods store and buy a hornady reloading manual and take a evening and read. It will give you the basic tools you should need and steps to reloading. You can get by with a little or you can spend a lot of $ on reloading equipment, its all what you want to do. Anyway have fun and good luck!</div></div>

Thanks for the reply but I am unsure the Hornady reloading manual will answer the questions I have. I will definitely be picking up a manual or two, but I am interested in the specific questions posted above.

9mm, what .300 round are you loading for .300 wsm or .300 win mag. or other? If your going with the Hornady LNL it uses shellplats, and you would have to look and the chart or call them to see what plate goes with what caliber. If your going with a single stage press, You just swap the shell holder out as needed. Sorry, to answer your question about shellplates and dies, no you don't need a different plate for two dies. Same plate will work. I like RCBS shell holders. Most shellplates and holders will work with multi calibers of the same or close shell size. You just have to look at their chart to see what calibers it will work with. You shouldn't need a trickler for the chargemaster, but having one cant hurt.

I have never used a lube die, so I cant tell you much bout them. I have always used a RCBS lube pad and it works well.

Hope this helps!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9mm, what .300 round are you loading for .300 wsm or .300 win mag. or other? If your going with the Hornady LNL it uses shellplats, and you would have to look and the chart or call them to see what plate goes with what caliber. If your going with a single stage press, You just swap the shell holder out as needed. Sorry, to answer your question about shellplates and dies, no you don't need a different plate for two dies. Same plate will work. I like RCBS shell holders. Most shellplates and holders will work with multi calibers of the same or close shell size. You just have to look at their chart to see what calibers it will work with. You shouldn't need a trickler for the chargemaster, but having one cant hurt.

I have never used a lube die, so I cant tell you much bout them. I have always used a RCBS lube pad and it works well.

Hope this helps!</div></div>

Ok thank you for the info. I am loading for 300 BLK, it is relatively new, so that is why I was hoping for some input on the forum here. I am unsure the Hornady manual will even have info on it as it was just introduced this year. I will dig some more and see what I can find out!

Cool, the 300BLK must be new, I havnt heard of it yet. Im sure your right, its probly not in the manual yet. You could call Hornady and ask them. Anyway, good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's what I've come up with so far:

Powder measure: RCBS Chargemaster combo
Calipers: Already have a set
Case trimmer: Possum Hollow, until I can afford a Giraud
Case lube: RCBS Lube Die
Chamfer tool: RCBS Chamfer tool w/ PH power adapter
Media/tumbler: SS, Thumler rotary
Powder trickler: Frankford Arsenal
Bullet puller: Not sure?

I have a few questions. I mainly want to load for 300 BLK. Can I use RCBS Lube Die #2 (fits 7.62x39, 300 BLK is 7.62x35), or do I need a different lube die?

If I'm using the Chargemaster, do I need the powder trickler?

Do I need a shellplate for each die? For 300 BLK, which should I get? Which brand works best? I was on Midway and the Hornady stuff is mostly out of stock.

Do I need a handheld bullet puller or press-mounted?</div></div>

Does anyone have experience with the lube dies? Will the .223 lube die fit the 300 BLK?

What bullet puller do you all pefer: handheld or press mounted?

I have no experience with the lube die but 300 BLK brass is made from 223 cases. A lube die that works with/for 223 should work fine with the 300 BLK since it is just a shorter case. A lube die for the 7.62x39 will be too large in diameter.

Good luck with the AP. I would go a different route and start with a Lee Classic Turret for more control in the process, expecially with non standard cartridges like the 300 BLK.

Unless you have a lot of money and patience, its worth just getting bits as you need it.

When you start out, sure you COULD use all of the handy little tools but pretty everyone else didnt have those to start off with.

Get the basics first.

Once brass needs trimming, get a trimmer.

Eventually you may end up with a mammoth list of products, some you would never had initially thought of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you have a lot of money and patience, its worth just getting bits as you need it.

When you start out, sure you COULD use all of the handy little tools but pretty everyone else didnt have those to start off with.

Get the basics first.

Once brass needs trimming, get a trimmer.

Eventually you may end up with a mammoth list of products, some you would never had initially thought of.</div></div>

Vman will do. Thanks for the input.

flashhole, roger that. I picked up the .223 version, thinking exactly what you said.