• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to have a custom rifle built

Jawillard

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2018
So I'm going to have my first custom rifle build done and I'm researching to decide what I exactly want. I currently shoot and reload for my tikka t3x tac a1 in 6.5 creedmoor and my savage 110fcp in 338 lapua. I've decided to go with a surgeon built rifle but I'm still up in the air on the caliber. I shoot both rifles regularly at 1000yrd steal target but would like the option to really test and hone my skills out to 1500yrds or even a mile. I've got it narrowed down to 2 calibers, the 260 Remington or 300 win mag. I know there's a big difference between the two but I like the accuracy of the 260 and all the available load data but I'm not sure if its really capable of the limits I'm wanting to push it, and the 300 will reach out there but I'm not sure of the accuracy at those ranges. Any thoughts? On a side note, I don't shoot competition (not yet anyway) and I don't hunt but would like to go on a big game hunt out west some day if I could ever get some time off work

I shoot 6mm Dasher to a mile. The issue isn't really the caliber, its the conditions (wind). If you want something to also use for hunting, you will need to consider terminal energy as well.

I run a Bighorn TL3 with barrels chambered by Jonathan Elrod at Modacam custom rifles. I know there are a LOT of great builders around, and would encourage you to work with someone that is US owned instead.

Local builder FTW.

Why book with a company Thays gonna make you wait 6months when a local guy can get it done in weeks.

Also why not just stick with 6.5 creed or a 7mm if you want a little more.

I personally wouldn’t want to shoot .300 WM all the time. It’s expensive to load for and to shoot.

28 nosler would be a good option, especially since you want to use it to hunt someday. Have it built for the Berger 195s.
Less recoil then the 300 win mag.
You already have a 6.5, so that would rule out the 260 for me.

I will bet you can find a used one rifle set-up in this forums' For Sale section that will save you both time and money and a lot cheaper than buying new. You can find most anything in there, and if you don't like what's there, put up a looking to buy xyz and I guarantee someone has one and will sale it.