• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Looking to jump into the thermal game

brentwinkey

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2012
St.Cloud Minnesota
Hey I'm just looking for some advice on getting into the thermal game. It will be used for predator hunting most often on an AR. Looking at the pulsar thermion xp38 or xp50 but I really like the idea of a scope attached clip on like the pulsar core fxq. The terrain I hunt is half open fields and half hardwoods. I think FOV is very important from what I've read. Any advice/guidance would be great. Thanks Brent

1. Agree in detail
2. Agree (I just tested one, see night shooting thread)
3. Agree.
4. Some pulsars are Chinese made, others are assembled elsewhere from mostly Chinese made parts. But I also avoid Chinese were possible

Reactions: brentwinkey
Yeah with regard to the pulsars ... I know a guy who's had several over the past 4-5 years and had no issues ... yet I also know several people who have had serious issues with them right out of the box. You could call it "QA" if you like ??
I've had 5 pulsars and still have one. Two of the 5 had issues. But the olde xd38a(Apex) I still have, still works just fine ... at least in 20F or above .. below 20F the display seems to "cloud up" a bit.

Last edited:
My XP50 is at Sellmark for repairs as it came to me DOA. They've had it for 4 business days and I haven't heard anything from them yet (USPS delivery confirmed).

I still have a Trail XQ38, and that has been flawless except for a dead pixel that I can't repair.

I used to somewhat regurgitate the "buy it with confidence" lines about Pulsar, but I'm beginning to get a lot more cautious.

My XP50 is at Sellmark for repairs as it came to me DOA. They've had it for 4 business days and I haven't heard anything from them yet (USPS delivery confirmed).

I still have a Trail XQ38, and that has been flawless except for a dead pixel that I can't repair.

I used to somewhat regurgitate the "buy it with confidence" lines about Pulsar, but I'm beginning to get a lot more cautious.
Man I hate to hear that. After about a month of having my Thermion XP50, I lost my scope cover, called them trying to find out how to purchase a new one and they took care of me.

Saying that you’re “Looking to jump into thermal...” is like saying you’re going to give Meth a “try.”

It’s a drug, man. A very bad, highly addictive drug.
Hahaha I totally agree with you there...it's no different then prs type shooting...you end up selling your sole damn near to get the new latest and greatest optic/reticle ect lol

Reactions: TheHorta
First advice is don't do it.... unless you are willing to close out your retirement.... And send your kids too community college

I had both a fxq50 and a trail XP50 if those
you listed are seriously the choices on your list then get the thermion! 384 vs 640 for starters, plus the comments about not getting a clip-on unless you ready to close that retirement account.... I personally don't care for the extra weight so I'm all about lighter guns and lighter optics which a clip-on does NOT go with. But I'm also not even about to try and shoot 7-800 yards which some of these guys with the high end clip-on units are pushing it on out there

Fov is very important for scanning, but I like magnification for my scope... Just plan on getting to seperate items eventually. Because you'll either try it and never really get going, and sell it... Or like Horta said, it'll be cheaper to try meth prolly

To me it’s worth dedicating a rifle (or 2) to thermal hunting, and not messing with a clip on. I’m definitely hooked on it. My wife pretty much expects that I’ll be out in the woods every Wednesday after work and a night out of every other weekend.

To me it’s worth dedicating a rifle (or 2) to thermal hunting, and not messing with a clip on. I’m definitely hooked on it. My wife pretty much expects that I’ll be out in the woods every Wednesday after work and a night out of every other weekend.

I get what your saying there. I do like the idea of the thermion since it's more like a traditional rifle scope. I like the idea of at least swapping it from a 22 for plinking around to a 223 AR for serious yote hunting. I am concerned with the fragile nature of a thermion. Seems like the trail series is the way to go as far as durability. I tend to be pretty hard on a equipment and I'm sure I'll have alot of tripping and stumbling in the dark when out hunting

First advice is don't do it.... unless you are willing to close out your retirement.... And send your kids too community college

I had both a fxq50 and a trail XP50 if those
you listed are seriously the choices on your list then get the thermion! 384 vs 640 for starters, plus the comments about not getting a clip-on unless you ready to close that retirement account.... I personally don't care for the extra weight so I'm all about lighter guns and lighter optics which a clip-on does NOT go with. But I'm also not even about to try and shoot 7-800 yards which some of these guys with the high end clip-on units are pushing it on out there

Fov is very important for scanning, but I like magnification for my scope... Just plan on getting to seperate items eventually. Because you'll either try it and never really get going, and sell it... Or like Horta said, it'll be cheaper to try meth prolly

What's your take on the trail series? Seems like they definitely get the good to go as far as durability goes. That's definitely one concern I have for the thermion now that I've looked into the subject more.

I’ve run the Trijicon IR Hunter mk2 for years and as long as u don’t like sending videos to ur buddy’s to brag, it’s phenomenal. I did get the external batter pack and can run for 12+ hours. But over the years the price has skyrocketed.

Reactions: LFOD1776
What's your take on the trail series? Seems like they definitely get the good to go as far as durability goes. That's definitely one concern I have for the thermion now that I've looked into the subject more.
The trail does have better battery options I think, and the built in rangefinder option, and I believe they have a trail 2 line which I am not personally familiar with...
I didn't have any major complaints with what little I did with the trail, but there are reports of zero shifting under temperature changes on the first models.
The thermion or trail 2 may have fixed that but there are reports here of one dead already...
But for that matter basically every manufacturer out there has some failure / breakage reports...
I'd personally be more worried about having a company that will work on my stuff if something does go wrong because statistically I will get the lemon!

Generally speaking if you are barking around the price tags I think you are... Then go for a reputable company and get a good dedicated unit and I think you will be good to go.
You really just need to decide if there are any features you can't live without and how much you are willing to spend for the better image ability.

The trail does have better battery options I think, and the built in rangefinder option, and I believe they have a trail 2 line which I am not personally familiar with...
I didn't have any major complaints with what little I did with the trail, but there are reports of zero shifting under temperature changes on the first models.
The thermion or trail 2 may have fixed that but there are reports here of one dead already...
But for that matter basically every manufacturer out there has some failure / breakage reports...
I'd personally be more worried about having a company that will work on my stuff if something does go wrong because statistically I will get the lemon!

Generally speaking if you are barking around the price tags I think you are... Then go for a reputable company and get a good dedicated unit and I think you will be good to go.
You really just need to decide if there are any features you can't live without and how much you are willing to spend for the better image ability.

I also have the problem of getting the lemon as well. It seems like pulsar has definitely stood behind there product line. Im thinking I definitely want the better image quality of a 640 unit...kind of a buy once cry once deal. I do like the various color palettes of the thermion but thats really not a deal breaker.

I don’t have a dog in this fight yet, just can seem to get around to “cashing in my retirement” as of yet, but I’m always looking at what’s available. Have you looked into the Halo products? I’ve read decent reviews on the hide about them. Might be another option for you to consider.

...Im thinking I definitely want the better image quality of a 640 unit...kind of a buy once cry once deal. I do like the various color palettes of the thermion but thats really not a deal breaker.
I 100% suggest get 640 if you can afford it

If really thinking buy once cry once I'd move to a BAE core unit as well (NVision for example like @KYAggie suggested, and Trijicon both seem like solid choices) I ended up with NVision after the trail and don't regret my decision

Color pallets I don't believe make it anymore functional, but with one exception that having a colored reticle on a black & white picture does make it stand out nicely.
It just makes me wonder if this is what the world looks like on hallucinogenics...
(Granted that's an opinion and YMMV)

Decided on the xp50 thermion. Definitely loving it so far.

Attachments

• received_2017809771689949.jpeg
    received_2017809771689949.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 47
Definitely hooked on thermal night hunting. First stand ever with the new xp-50 and a small female hit the dirt. All worth it!!

Attachments

• IMG_20201120_194433977.jpg
    IMG_20201120_194433977.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 34
  • img_009.jpg
    img_009.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: waspocrew
I have a Halo LR and a Bearing Optics Super Hogster, I do not think you would go wrong with either.

For the price of the Super Hogster I would take it any day..

Reactions: riverside jeep