• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to Purchase or Build My First 338 Lapua

Jthom091

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
Virginia
I have made up my mind I want to spend the money to purchase a nice 338 Lapua I can not decide whether to purchase or build the rifle I want. I thought about building one using a stillers tac 338 action and an obermeyer 5R barrel but the more I think about it I wonder if there is a factory gun I could buy under $4000.00 that would be great for tactical long distance precision target shooting. Any advise would get great.

Last edited:
Well, I am thinking of selling my 1st Gen Desert Tech SRS which has two barrels: 338LM and 6.5x47, if you are interested. I can attest that it is accurate.

Generally, if you are looking for a new gun, the good stuff (AI, Desert Tech, etc) is generally going to set you back a bit more than $4k. The Desert Tech is around $5.5k when new with a single barrel.

ILya

Do you guys believe you can buy a rifle from Barrett, Armalite, Alexander Arms, Accuracy International, Sako, etc. that would be as good as a custom build? I was looking mostly at the Sako TRG and the Aramlite rifles before thinking about building a custom 338LM.

I own a full custom 338, and I have shot my buddy's TRG-42 quite a bit. The TRG is a very nice rifle. Great trigger, smooth and solid action, good ergos. That rifle shoots 0.5 MOA with handloads. I think you would be quite happy with the Sako. Just make sure you get a newer one with the 10 twist barrel. The older ones had 12 twist.

Should you decide to go custom, I will relay the same bit of advice my gunsmith gave me when I set off on my 338 project: consider the 338 Norma. The Norma is much better suited for slinging 300 grain (or Flatline) bullets from a magazine, and will give almost identical ballistics to the Lapua. I am running an improved 338 Norma; no sweat to push 300 Bergers at an honest 2900 with RL33. And that short/fat Norma case gives some pretty incredible accuracy. Just some food for thought. I totally understand the Lapua itch, and I will eventually build an improved Lapua on a single shot action. But for a repeater, the Norma deserves serious consideration.

I do not have experience with all of these and not all you are listed are the same quality. Sako TRG is extremely accurate in my experience, as are AI and Barrett. Not sure about Armalite and Alexander Arms.

ILya

I own a full custom 338, and I have shot my buddy's TRG-42 quite a bit. The TRG is a very nice rifle. Great trigger, smooth and solid action, good ergos. That rifle shoots 0.5 MOA with handloads. I think you would be quite happy with the Sako. Just make sure you get a newer one with the 10 twist barrel. The older ones had 12 twist.

Should you decide to go custom, I will relay the same bit of advice my gunsmith gave me when I set off on my 338 project: consider the 338 Norma. The Norma is much better suited for slinging 300 grain (or Flatline) bullets from a magazine, and will give almost identical ballistics to the Lapua. I am running an improved 338 Norma; no sweat to push 300 Bergers at an honest 2900 with RL33. And that short/fat Norma case gives some pretty incredible accuracy. Just some food for thought. I totally understand the Lapua itch, and I will eventually build an improved Lapua on a single shot action. But for a repeater, the Norma deserves serious consideration.

Surgeon260,
Thank you very much for sharing your first hand experience. I am again starting to lean more toward the TRG now. If you get some time could you post a photo of your custom and list the components?

I see more full custom rifles up for sale than TRG's or AI's or Barrett's.... If any of those will do what you want why wait for a custom.

I have been shooting my trg 42 in 338 lapua for about 2 years. It has been under 1/2 moa consistently and I have reached out to 1300 yards with it. I have no complaints and would buy it again. The magazine lets you load the rounds long and it has been really easy to handload for. You should be able to get one easy for under 4000.00. Recoil with the sako break or my thunderbeast has been very manageable.

Sako TRGs are hard to beat IMO. Reasonable price, great accuracy, and world famous ergonomics. I love mine.