• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking to rebarrel my m4 soon

HOOFER

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2007
lewistown, MT, Colorado
been kicking around idea of rebarreling my ar not seeing accuracy issues yet but have alot of rounds down current barrel. and want something that doesnt heat up as fast. i have a 16 inch now with a rifle length free float. looking at either getting a 16 or 18 inch, heavier contour barrel, possibly fluted. i shoot a lot of three gun with it so i want as accurate as i can but still be able to get it very hot, so im guessing stay chrome lined. is there any advantage to going with a rifle length gas system vs. my current carbine length besides slight recoil reduction. can someone recommend what i am looking for.

thanks

Re: looking to rebarrel my m4 soon

two words - Pac-Nor who if I am not mistaken makes Noveske barrels for their rifles(or as below at least the same Pac-Nor techs do). That is where the AR barrels on the PAC-NOR site takes you.

PAC-NOR

Crane: The barrels that we’re talkin’ about are Pac-Nor.

John Noveske: Our stainless barrels are made partially in ourshop and partially in Pac-Nor’s shop. And, the relationship that I have with Pac-Nor…I used to work there, and now what’s goin’ on is I buy steel, I take it to Pac-Nor, when the guys clock out of Pac-Nor, they clock into our barrel production. They machine my blanks with our tooling, which is all made to our design, including the drills, reamers, button, so forth, so on. They stress-relieve to our recipe, and then they give the barrels back to us, and then we finish them all in our shop.

Re: looking to rebarrel my m4 soon

Using a mid-length or rifle-length gas tube reduces wear and tear on your rifle and your brass. It allows a little more dwell time before the bolt unlocks, and reduces chamber pressure at that time. Gas rings last longer, for one thing.

If I were going 18 inch, I'd definitely have a rifle-length gas tube. For a 16 inch barrel, I'd go mid-length.