• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to restock my 700 sps-v

fordsoldier

Just a dude, doing dude stuff.
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2005
Illinois
Re: Looking to restock my 700 sps-v

Both are good stocks. I think the B&C wins over the HS for a couple reasons.

B&C has 1" Pachmyer Decel Recoil Pad, and the grip is much better. What I mean by that is that the grip is longer, a little more vertical, and doesn't have such a "golf" ball palm swell. (Still fills your palm though)

Both have aluminum blocks, duel front studs, and weight is pretty close between the two.

See if you can at least get a feel for them before buying. Everybody is a little different.
my.02.

thanks gunner for the insight.

Anyone else have any insight to either stock.

I've had both. Similar construction. I find the palmswell on the HS a bit large. The forearm is also a bit more slender on the BC, which I prefer.

As an FYI, I have a B&C M40 stock, which is similar to the light tactical but without the stock hook and a slightly higher comb listed in the classified section here.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1023505#Post1023505

Try to shoot a gun with each of them on it and pick the one you like. for me i like the H-S because it fits me well.

like the feel of it better, larger palm. like the forearm better

Anyone got some really good pics of the bell and carlson light tactical.

Heres a light tactical(tan) and a XCR tac take off stock(green). I prefer the XCR tac.

Picture209.jpg

Picture586.jpg

I have a HS Police stock which I bought, was not a take off. It has a 1" recoil pad unlike the factory remington stocks, if that was a concern for you. I have owned several HS, Mcmillan and just got a Manners(wow nice stocks). I have shot the light tactical and the vertical grip B&C. I always thought that the palm swell and grip placement on the HS police put my hand too close to the trigger. IMO I think the HS feels more study than a B&Ct But either one should work, just try to put them in your hand before you buy, they have very differant fits.

700p HS is an acquired taste.

but anytime i think of changing i pick it up and set aside all doubts.

I just put a HS P on my 700 VS, and it has perfect fit, and function. I also like the fat palm swell (I have medium size hands...good fit for me). I've never tried the B&C although for comparison I would definately put the A2 looking one on another rifle. Are you gonna change the bottom metal? If so, I HIGHLY recommend the Williams unit. Perfect drop in, and truely a QUALITY piece.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, but why not pick up every manufacturer/type stock that you can get your hands on to see how they fit you. You might find out that one of the stocks that you didn't boil down to feels so much better that it's worth the additinal price.

I went from the stock H-S on my 5R to the adjustable H-S, to eventually a McM A4.

Either way, both of the stocks that you are currently looking at are better than the factory SPS-V handle. Good luck.

I'm a big supporter of the B&C light tactical. It is IMHO the best stock, with the best mix of features, in that price range. It's not a McMillian, but it's a damned fine stock, especially for the money ($191 from midway after my dealer discount)

I've got one on my 243 varmint (non-SPS) and I've got a .308 SPS Tactical on the way that will also wear one.