• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to upgrade spotting scope.

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
I have an Athlon Talos spotting scope. I was impressed when I first got it. I was looking at trees and tractors and deer durring the day.
Now that I am trying to see hit on cardboard, shoot n see targets and steel at 1,000 I am now finding the limits of it.
The image at 1,000 yards is only clear at low magnification. Maybe clear up to almost 30 power. My Athlon Argos 6-24 at 26x is better than the spotting scope at any power.
I can see brown areas in white painted steel at 1,000. But Its real faint.
So I want better. But not $1,000 better. I think I got the Talos for $120 or so. I want twice as good. Will doubling the price double the image quality?
I see the Argos is around $325. It has a review comparring it to $1,000 scopes...... which we know is not real.
So what spotting scope will actually have a clear image at 60x? And be under $400.
I'm willing to step up a little, but still have to be a poor.....

What you are asking for does not exist. Good glass is not cheap, sorry. Also, magnification is actually NOT what you want, what you need is RESOLUTION.

resolving power is measured in arc seconds. It’s what let’s you see one bullet hole near another. Use a USAF test chart, or even a dollar bill. Set it up on a wall and compare scopes at the same power setting, say 20 to 25 x. Look for detail like the treasury seal. That’s the important thing, not power.

Reactions: Travis224
not a chance in hell you'll get a clear 60x at $400 let alone maybe $2400
👆
Yea, even my buddy’s Kowa Prominar 883 looses a bit of clarity at full power and it’s an amazing spotter.

The bare minimum for me is at about the bushy legend T level.