• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking where to buy bulk 45 ACP bullets

Strickland

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
Mansfield, Texas
I am looking to buy 2000 45 ACP rounds. I know I can get lead pretty darn cheap ~$65 / k.

Anybody know any good place to get jacketed rounds? ball or JHP.

Looking to see if I can get something close to lead prices.

Thanks

Re: Looking where to buy bulk 45 ACP bullets

If you are going to run them hard - up near box hardball loads, then look for jacketed bullets like Montanna Gold. If you looking for a lighter target load bullat, then dipped/plated will do fine like Berry's, Rsanier, etc.
Jeffvn

I would look into Berry's if you want to get close to lead prices. I have been running them in my Glock with no probs, well 9mm's atleast. I dont reload for anyhting other than 9 and 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems I can't come close to this lead price.

Here is where I was looking to buy.

Two Alpha Bullets

Just debating whether it is worth the headache to shoot lead
</div></div>

I normally average between 15K-20K cast each year. This past year has been lower due to increased rifle shooting. I've used cast for over 30 years. The proper alloy at the right velocity in a good barrel takes no longer to clean than jacketed.

I totally agree, the only jacketed bullets I shoot any more are for my house gun. I've been shooting Penn bullets for the last couple years, their premium grade alloy is very easy to clean out of a barrel.

Number 2 alloy as described in the Lyman handbooks is the best all around alloy for cast bullets. There are several formulas to get an approximation of it, but if you buy bullets, you have no control over that. Most good over the counter cast bullets will be of a hard enough alloy to not lead your bore especially at pistol velocities.

Avoid swagged bullets mainly offered by the biggies, Remington and Winchester. They have to be soft in order to be swagged formed. Even coated with a sticky lubricant, they lead like crazy at even moderate velocities. Maybe they have improved over the years, but I would stick with cast.

You might want to remove copper fouling from your bore before switching to lead. I have several lead only guns vs jacketed ones. In fact my Bullseye competition .45 is cast wadcutter only and is very accurate.

Good luck,
Sherlok

Google The TargetBarn.Deals in Zero Bullets.Had real good luck with them 9mm and 45acp.