• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looks like I’m in the market for a new scope...

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    Have You ever run into something that is broken and you are just at a loss for words? Happened to me today. It’s the beginning of the year, so it’s a good time to clean guns. That way I know, at a minimum, that the guns were clean at the start of the year. Anyway, I was shuffling a couple of rifles around and I find this scope. My son used it and the rifle it was on to shoot a deer just a couple of months ago- I was there so I know it wasn’t mis-used or abused. I’ll admit that I’m one of those guys that doesn’t tie his rifle to the trailer hitch and drag it for 3 miles down a gravel road to test the durability. I’m more of a “everything is in a gun sock to prevent marring finishes while in the safe” kind of guy. (Honest wear from comp barricades, holsters, being knocked out of a pickup, etc not withstanding.) Except of a couple of scratches on one of the turret caps, this scope doesn’t have a mark on it, and I don’t remember dropping or otherwise losing control of the rifle. Either way, I’ll be looking to replace this scope before the gun goes back out. I have no idea how I bent it...
    0C04C93F-6D57-4C96-A04E-BA10EADD9C8A.jpeg

Now, I know that bashing Vortex is something of a sport, that bashing cheap scopes is a passion, and that this is a cheap Vortex scope. But, that’s not my intent. I’m sure they will honor the terms of their warranty. This is more of a “sometimes you have to share your f’ed up day” thread...

That appears to be a case of sling carrying the rifle on the uphill side.
    Slip and fall, bend ocular bell.

I lost the turret caps on a vortex scope I had a few years back.. I sent them an email to ask how I buy some and they sent me a pack with 2 in it, no charge.

Sometimes companies change for the worse, but my personal experience with Vortex is that they have customer service and warranty that goes above and beyond what is advertised.

vortex has a no questions asked warranty. get them to replace it.

then - you can sell it and put the money toward something new if you want
    Yup. Not really a Vortex fan, but I'm pretty sure they'll replace it. And I would think something pretty significant had to happen to it for it to look like that - strange that it just showed up like that. Anyway, sell the replacement NIB for what you really want.

A friend had a Viper HST on a rifle that was in a safe, and the safe was hit by a Chevy Suburban. When he extracted the contents of the safe, his scope ocular looked a lot like yours. Called Vortex, got a return authorization, sent it to them, they replaced the scope. Took all of a couple of weeks, maybe three.

I hate having to use customer service but when I do I appreciate good service and in my experience Vortex provides it. I had the parallax knob on a 3-15 razor lh get all gritty and wouldn't adjust at all. I explained that i was in the middle of working up a load for my 35 Whelen for my fast approaching Kodiak Island bear hunt. I had the new scope in 2 days with a shipping label to return the junk one.

I admit to being a fanboy of Burris, had their hunting scopes for years. Last winter, (before the pandemic really hit) my calling rifle slipped around my shoulder, dropped off, and bent the tube of my 4.5-14 scope. My bad, my screw up. But everyone says send it in, lifetime warranty, use it. Emailed three times about it, never heard a thing LOL. Burris has been great about that but maybe they're getting tired of replacing these under the circumstances. Can't blame them, it was my fault. So, I bought a new scope! Oh well

A friend had a Viper HST on a rifle that was in a safe, and the safe was hit by a Chevy Suburban. When he extracted the contents of the safe, his scope ocular looked a lot like yours. Called Vortex, got a return authorization, sent it to them, they replaced the scope. Took all of a couple of weeks, maybe three.
    Tell me more about this. How the F’k did this happen? Safe run out into the road?

Yeah, it’s already in the mail. Heck, it may be at vortex, though priority mail doesn’t seem to be the priority it once was. This wasn’t a “what do I do now thread.” More of a “f’d day” thread.

Vortex, for their price points deliver decent scopes, optically-speaking, but with fragile tubes and a fantastic, No BS, warranty.

Have You ever run into something that is broken and you are just at a loss for words? Happened to me today. It’s the beginning of the year, so it’s a good time to clean guns. That way I know, at a minimum, that the guns were clean at the start of the year. Anyway, I was shuffling a couple of rifles around and I find this scope. My son used it and the rifle it was on to shoot a deer just a couple of months ago- I was there so I know it wasn’t mis-used or abused. I’ll admit that I’m one of those guys that doesn’t tie his rifle to the trailer hitch and drag it for 3 miles down a gravel road to test the durability. I’m more of a “everything is in a gun sock to prevent marring finishes while in the safe” kind of guy. (Honest wear from comp barricades, holsters, being knocked out of a pickup, etc not withstanding.) Except of a couple of scratches on one of the turret caps, this scope doesn’t have a mark on it, and I don’t remember dropping or otherwise losing control of the rifle. Either way, I’ll be looking to replace this scope before the gun goes back out. I have no idea how I bent it...
    View attachment 7526817
    Now, I know that bashing Vortex is something of a sport, that bashing cheap scopes is a passion, and that this is a cheap Vortex scope. But, that’s not my intent. I’m sure they will honor the terms of their warranty. This is more of a “sometimes you have to share your f’ed up day” thread...
    Should allow you to see around corners without giving away your position. A benefit.