• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looks like I got burnt on a mail order shipment

alexander66

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2004
Fernley, Nevada 89408
It is my turn, looks like I got burnt on a mail order shipment from EBay, they sent tracking number said it was shipped on the 4th of June and delivered to my house on the 9th of June, it should have been sent to my APO address. Shipping detail said it was sent to my APO, tracking number said that it was sent to my home address, wife said it never got to the house. Out $200.00, never had a problem with my high end optics or range finders. I will see how long this takes to get resolved. I have a different view of mail ordering now. I can see that you can be out some major cash with mail ordering.

alexander66

Re: looks like I got burnt on a mail order shipment

Bummer. Hope you get this worked out bud.
Don't lose faith, though. You're going to need mail-order in the future. We all do.

Who was it shipped with? USPS? UPS or FedEx?

I fyou used Paypal, you should be protected. File a laim and see what happens. I had a similar incident and paypal was good about getting it fixed. good luck, ER72

File a Paypal claim ASAP!!!! They have a window that you must file a claim for. if you are late by one day, then you are screwed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alexander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paid with PayPal, I sent a message to the seller so I will see how this all works out. </div></div>

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

No offense meant, and I hope you get your money back or item resent. However, this is exactly why I DO NOT use Paypal AT ALL.

Secondly, sending a check or money order is ALWAYS a better route, in my opinion. With Paypal you have almost ZERO legal standing when it comes to a prosecutor.

With Check or Money ORder you have the US Postal Inspector AND local PD and prosecutor on your side. Most Police Departments look at Paypal complaints and do nothing. There isn't much they can do due to the structure and internet pay service set up of Paypal.

Again ... never use Paypal. It takes getting burned to learn your lesson, and it's a hard lesson to learn.

Don't give up on mail order. Just don't pay with Paypal again. Simple as that.

It took me getting burned out of a shipment of 55# of 5.56 brass to learn my lesson. In MY case the buyer received the shipment and filed a Paypal claim 3 days later claiming that his credit card was used without his consent. I talked to the guy 3 times on the phone prior to and after the claim and he just laughed at me. I talked to his local PD and they basically stated that they can't do anything with Paypal transactions. Learned my lesson the hard way! I was out $800 and the dude walked away laughing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">File a Paypal claim ASAP!!!! They have a window that you must file a claim for. if you are late by one day, then you are screwed. </div></div>
+1

I've done it before and the process must be followed within the time frames or you're SOL. It won't take long nor is it too hard to resolve but its a pain in the ass to have to go through it in the first place. Good luck I hope you have a good outcome but the post above this one makes some very good points.

I never purchase anything off of EBay any longer. Too many fakes and scams on that site. Hope it gets resolved for you.

It will take so time, but I think you will come out ok. I have been in your shoes.

If you used your credit card through paypal, call the CC company too and file a claim with them. Item not received. Usually if you include that you've contacted your cc company when you send your dispute to PP they make sure to find in your favor. Also if it was USPS contact your local postmaster and have them run a track on it as it wasn't delivered. They usually get a little pissy if something goes missing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EasyRhino72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fyou used Paypal, you should be protected. File a laim and see what happens. I had a similar incident and paypal was good about getting it fixed. good luck, ER72 </div></div>

Agreed. I had the same problem, Paypal fixed it. Was only $85, but I still got it back.

I was leary of Paypal at first, but I use it more often now. With paypal, you got to be careful about the addresses --sometimes it wants to put our physical address (which has no mailbox) and if we don't catch that, well... To compound matters, Ebay sends them an address too, right?

I always contact the seller directly and give him the address on my own in an email. This helps to mitigate mistakes.

I also only use credit cards for Ebay transactions, and only bid on items that the seller offers returns on and/or Paypal or Ebay itself underwrites the transaction. So if something arrives that wasn't as described, they try to work it out as a mediator and if that doesn't work, you are supposed to get your money back and the seller gets barred --but depending on circumstances, they can bar you too.

I recently made six or so purchases, some from Ebay, some on here using Paypal. The flip sight I got on here for $82 and the scope I got for $700 both arrived in a condition better than I expected, no complaints at all. All the Ebay transactions turned out well too. In fact, no problems with them yet.

But I also try to deal with folks with very good feedback on Ebay, and most folks on here are of a little higher calibre than on some of the other generic shooting sites it seems, and that 100 post limit before selling seems to help --but a feedback system would be nice for sellers on here too.

I'm assuming you tracked it through USPS's website, but did you call USPS with the tracking number? They can run a more advanced track if you haven't received it within so many working days... Which you definitely seem past. One time the VA sent my meds to the wrong address --they said they were delived to my PO, but they actually got sent to a PO 60 miles away and they couldn't figure out where it really went because something was wrong with the label. This actually has happened twice in 8 years. So it could be USPS.

It is why I always have my packages insured. If I don't get it, I expect my money back, and that is easier to pull off if the sender gets an insurance check from USPS to cover your losses in case it cannot be located.

And who knows, in 85 years or so your great grandkid might get one out of the blue and it be a minor nationwide, quirky feel-good story!

Bottom line I don't think you are screwed. You just need to get the ball rolling and call Paypal, Ebay and USPS and any other parties involved. Also, depending on what you ordered, it may not have been able to be shipped to an APO if it is ITAR or State Dept. regulated (they look at that as exporting to a foreign country). It was hell getting a plastic PVS-14 mount to a buddy in Mosul in '05 --had to be sent through his unit in the end.

The story--EBay at first denied my claim for a refund because they said the package was delivered to my house. I ask them who signed for it; they said signature was not required because it was under $250.00 dollars. I told then the package either was delivered to the wrong house or it got stolen from my front porch. I then ask them what is the reason for their guarantee is if they not refund for my purchase. I told that I will suffer the loss and never do business with EBay and Pay Pal again, I informed them that it is all about good customer service, that is when they told me that they will refund my money as a good will gesture. I will be glad when I see the cash back in my account. Things will never be the same.

I have NEVER been burned with Paypal or eBay and I've been using both for the past 12 years, and will continue to do so although I dislike their anti-gun stance.

It all comes down to checking the sellers feedback rating, in depth. If they have spotty feedback or a low feedback rating and they're selling a pricey item or live in another country, BUYER BEWARE.