• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Looks like I need a dog

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
The wife took our 15 month old to visit some family. I woke up to this...

34191.jpeg

34192.jpeg

Looks like we may need a pup soon. What breeds are both good with children and upland bird? Im not much into water fowl so thats not too important.

Awesome!
My cockapoo's love kids and hunting for squirrels, kinda hyper so....

Kids = Labs.

Won't run the fields like a GSP, but I've hunted behind a few for years. The tail pulling, riding, jumping, etc that my three kids have put the current one through is amazing. But he still sleeps at the foot of their bed and follows them through the yard everyday. I did however end up with probably the only lab ever that sucks at swimming.

Albeit a very opinionated answer with a small sample size.

Springer Spaniels are good family dogs that are also good flushers for upland. I think they tend to be a little more relaxed and less birdy than pointers (love to hunt over pointers though).

This one is kind of a dummy, and is working about five times the distance he should be. I would be embarrassed if this was my dog. Surely you can find better videos of Springers working, but this one came up first.

Golden Retrievers can also be trained to be good upland dogs, and there is literally no better or more gentle family dog.

Edit: good pont, Labs can be trained for almost any kind of hunting. They're smart, gentle, and easy to train with treats.

Kids = Labs.

Won't run the fields like a GSP, but I've hunted behind a few for years. The tail pulling, riding, jumping, etc that my three kids have put the current one through is amazing. But he still sleeps at the foot of their bed and follows them through the yard everyday. I did however end up with probably the only lab ever that sucks at swimming.

Albeit a very opinionated answer with a small sample size.
I have 2 labs. 1 hates the water and 1 would live in it if he could.

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are excellent with kids and very protective of them.
You probably are cold enough up there for them to be happy.

Reactions: Quickwahay
Know nothing about bird dogs, but the absolute best dog I've ever owned was a Rottweiler. They are awesome with children. My kids are grown now but I plan on getting another when I return to the states.

Reactions: SCSCHNUR
A lab makes a very nice dog for hunting. Also a great companion for the children.

I highly recommend a Brittany.
Great with family, smart, medium sized, long life compared to heavier dogs, gentle and very easy to train.
If you didn't want a hunting pet, I would advise you to go to the pound and save a puppies life.

I'm a huge fan of any kid having a dog... any dog.

I am on Lab #3... and probably won't NOT have another lab. Easy to train. Great with the family. Hunts all day long aside flashers or pointers. Can do upland, water, or shed hunting.

Are there better upland dogs? Absolutely. Are there better water dogs. Absolutely. Are there better family dogs... well, maybe a rescue mutt.... but... Ultimately I think the Labrador is one of the best all around breeds.

I would also own a Llewellyn as an upland/family dog too. If I didnt run hunt tests/field trials, I would own one for certain. They love big country hunting and so much fun to hunt over. And then in the house, switch it off and are like stuffed animals.

Britney spaniels are nice dogs, as mentioned above. I've also owned springers. Great dogs!

Another really nice family and all around dog is a swamp collie..... otherwise better known as a golden retriever. Amazing dogs and can do it all too. Breeding is key as they are typically bred more for looks and less for drive... and cancer and heart issues can be concerning.

But then again... breeding is very important in any of these dogs. Many genetic issues in any of the breeds. Find a respectable breeder that can honestly educate you and provide your family with a long time, healthy and well mannered new family member.

Our family spends 1/2 our time/activities with our dog and the dog club we train and compete with. Happy to share more info anytime. PM with any questions.

Otherwise, enjoy the bond you and your family will have as you bring an amazing and loyal member into your family!

I have a lab and would highly recommend one as has been done by several others.
Another that I’d consider that I didn’t see mentioned is a Boykin Spaniel. A little smaller but great bird dogs and great family dogs.

I don’t think you can go wrong with a lab or golden retriever. The biggest thing with any dog is training and spending time with them. I have found that you get as much out of them as you put in. Sadly many just buy a dog and then fail to build a real relationship. Please put the time in.

Dogs are wonderful. I have three and I love them all. make time to train and exercise them each day. It doesn’t take a ton of time.

One last thing, I like crates a lot and I get them to like their crate by giving them a Kong stuffed with treats. It teaches them that to relax when they are by themselves and that it’s ok to be alone. That keeps them from following you all over the house all day every day.

Britney or Pointer ( i think in the USA they are called English Pointer)
20191230_170413.jpg
we have 3 Pointers now. Awesome house dogs and great hunting companions

I don't have a kid, so I don't know how much work your 15 month old is. Nor do I know what your life situation is like in terms of job and other things. The only thing I wanted to chime in with is that you should ask yourself if you have the time to bring in a dog into your family. If not, maybe take the simple route for now by visiting your family more often or offer to pet sit every once in a while.

I love dogs and have a Shiba Inu that will turn 2 this December. I got her when she was 10 weeks old. There are times when she is very active and goes on a 3 mile walk while there are times where she is more lazy and prefers shorter walks. The point is, other than looking for dog breeds that are good with children and birds, you should consider other aspects such as activity level, grooming needs, etc.

If you are dead set on getting a pup now, I would recommend finding a reputable breeder or dedicated rescue shelter that focuses on that breed. They will be a great source of information not only on the breed, but of each particular pup (e.g. personality and such). Although I did not become a foster parent, I have done some work with my local Shiba Inu rescue. Foster parents will note things such as "has separation anxiety" or "does well with teenagers and up, but not younger children."

Lots of great points and suggestions here.

I don't have a kid, so I don't know how much work your 15 month old is. Nor do I know what your life situation is like in terms of job and other things. The only thing I wanted to chime in with is that you should ask yourself if you have the time to bring in a dog into your family. If not, maybe take the simple route for now by visiting your family more often or offer to pet sit every once in a while.

I love dogs and have a Shiba Inu that will turn 2 this December. I got her when she was 10 weeks old. There are times when she is very active and goes on a 3 mile walk while there are times where she is more lazy and prefers shorter walks. The point is, other than looking for dog breeds that are good with children and birds, you should consider other aspects such as activity level, grooming needs, etc.

If you are dead set on getting a pup now, I would recommend finding a reputable breeder or dedicated rescue shelter that focuses on that breed. They will be a great source of information not only on the breed, but of each particular pup (e.g. personality and such). Although I did not become a foster parent, I have done some work with my local Shiba Inu rescue. Foster parents will note things such as "has separation anxiety" or "does well with teenagers and up, but not younger children."

Life has slowed down for us. Prior to my daughter we were very active in the mountains climbing, camping, etc. We also really liked to travel regularly, but that has also changed with a kid.

We are down to 1 cat. But hes getting a bit old so maybe ill wait until hes gone. Not in any real rush to get another pet/ mouth to feed.

Akitas are good family dogs as well as homestead protectors. Originally bred to hunt bears so I can't comment on smaller game.

I feel that the labrador retriever is a perfect baby sitter and a great hunting dog. However, having the dog first is very important. Getting a lab when you have a 1-2 year old child will present problems to over come. The pup will like to chew on things and may include your child. A lab pup is very rambunctious and will probably not know how to play gently with your child (at least for the first 8-12 months).

Maybe look at rescuing an older lab.

Good luck, and I will say that ever child should grow up with at least 1 dog in the family.

I fully support getting a dog, and I think there have been some great breed recommendations. I want to echo/add to the things that @peredehuit , @Woodland_Wolf_M81 , and @N8schmitz have mentioned.

As it turns out, I love dogs, but puppies aren’t really my favorite. Yeah, they’re adorable, and sometimes they’re fun. The thing is, getting a puppy is like picking up a part time job. Between establishing the relationship, working on age-appropriate training, and cleaning up after it, you’re going to be putting in a lot of time up front. Along with that, consistency is going to make a big difference in outcomes. Make sure your wife and you have the same expectations for the dog’s behavior. Once you’ve established that foundation, having a dog is fantastic.

If you’re new to obedience training dogs (I haven’t trained dogs for hunting, so I can’t speak to that), there’s a Kiwi called Doggy Dan (silly name, bad haircut) who I would absolutely recommend. You can buy a month-long subscription to his videos, and you’ll have all the basics covered. We used his stuff when training our dog, and I think it’s been a big factor in having an obedient, enjoyable dog.

Reactions: peredehuit
I've never met a bad dog..... only one's that have been screwed up by humans. Lot's of good choices for kids and hunting, but all around a Lab is hard to argue as they have good high/low energy level management and don't require daily doses of high level exercise to remain reasonably calm around the house. Their IQ's aren't the highest but their protective instinct, loyalty, and desire to please are extremely high IMO.

My personal favorite breed is a Weimaraner. Super intelligent and fiercely loyal. My current Weim, Juno, is about the most loyal dog Ive ever met, let alone had. And she had the instinct to point on birds from about 3 months and on. She practiced on my chickens all the time and never hurt them. She has also been absolutely amazing with my 13month old son (the gate is to protect the dogs from the kiddo, not the other way around.. haha).

IMG_5323.PNG

Reactions: acudaowner
My personal favorite breed is a Weimaraner. Super intelligent and fiercely loyal. My current Weim, Juno, is about the most loyal dog Ive ever met, let alone had. And she had the instinct to point on birds from about 3 months and on. She practiced on my chickens all the time and never hurt them. She has also been absolutely amazing with my 13month old son (the gate is to protect the dogs from the kiddo, not the other way around.. haha).

View attachment 7422973
It’s also impossible to tire them out.

This is my pound puppy. Three years old now, he was a year old when I rescued him from the pound. Great with our granddaughter. Not so great with our chickens. Have to keep him on a leash outside or the nose hits the ground and he's off to the races. And boy can he cover some ground fast!
1600095930830.png

1600095976866.png

1600096017660.png

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
I have two Dutch Shepherds and a GSD. The Dutchies are amazing tracking dogs and incredibly loyal and protective of my family. My GSD is a 145 lbs Umpa Lumpa, who thinks he's a lap dog, but also an amazing animal.
1.jpg

It's funny that this thread came along when it did. There is a GSD in the local pound. Looks to be about 3 years old. A really good looking dog. It's a shame the OP isn't closer or I'm sure this would be the perfect dog for the family.

It's funny that this thread came along when it did. There is a GSD in the local pound. Looks to be about 3 years old. A really good looking dog. It's a shame the OP isn't closer or I'm sure this would be the perfect dog for the family.
They are worth the drive, honestly amazing animals.

The hunting aspect narrows things down quite a bit. Do you want a flusher or a pointing dog, that’ll narrow you down even further.
Our Brittany is absolutely awesome. Seems to do the double duty as house dog/hunter as well as anything. Total sweetheart too. She came to us with a hunting foundation as a 6 mo old, then went back for a long program. This will be her second hunting season. We’ll be adding an English pointer in the next 6 mo hopefully. Our trainer has excellent pointers. They would recommend a Brittany first though, and I agree with that totally.
8F2D1E69-3959-4112-8EE0-297549604638.jpeg
F68E27AE-919F-4925-BF7B-2D5960D0CF59.jpeg

80EE4A68-55A0-4BBB-85BD-4C2E03CD8999.jpeg

Last edited:
A lab will take your kids as their own pups, but a lab pup is looking at your kids as play buddies and how do dogs play? With their mouths. Sometimes this isn't a great relationship.

Lab pups will leave those needle sharp puppy teeth marks but only actual hurt was if a toddler got knocked over and hit something.

Now my dashaund is a different story, truly a mean mf and can not be trusted with small children unsupervised. But he will play with them, the lab will protect those kids with his life.

It's funny to see a lab herd kids away from danger and strangers, he will place his body between the kids and any perceived threat.

I've herd it said labs bite a lot of people, they are very intuitive and those people probably needed bit.

View attachment 7421320

View attachment 7421321

Looks like we may need a pup soon. What breeds are both good with children and upland bird? Im not much into water fowl so thats not too important.
We raise King Oorang Airedale’s which are the largest of the Terrier Breeds. I’ve had So Tex Ranchers but pups to retrieve doves and hunt with but also ride with them daily. I’ve hunted everything from Birds, Coon, Mountain Lions, and Hogs with them. Also had three sons raised with them and my hounds. They are extremely intelligent if bred well.

Reactions: Snuby642
I’ve never had a bad German Shorthaired Pointer in the field or with children. I’ve had 3 hunters jump a field before legal hunting time with two pointers. Let the GSP out of the car and we had 3 pheasant in our pouches, half way through the same field. He used to babysit the neighbor’s children. They would cross the street to play fetch with the tennis ball, eventually getting bored and wander toward the street. He would herd them back into the yard, time after time. They are high energy, and need to have a job to do. Protective when they need to be.

Reactions: Don Dial

View attachment 7421320

View attachment 7421321

Love my Weimaraner/Shorthair cross. My neighbors have 4 little ones under 5 yrs. The kids just love her. I’m not an accomplished trainer but my experience with Weimars and Shorthairs has been incredible. 3-days to house break Bodie. She has her blue room out behind the shed, that’s the only place she goes or where I call out “blue room” When we’re camping. I’ve learned more from this dog about upland game hunting than any man could ever teach me.

I can count on her killing A bird a week all summer long. climbs my fruit trees to get to the birds. I had to put a cover over her kennel to keep her from climb out. When she did, she just came over to the back porch and laid down til I came out. We live on a very busy highway but she will not leave the lot. I can’t get her to bark very often, except when a stranger, cat or other pests are wandering around. Loves shooting too. I’ve had really dumb puppy mill pups in the past. I’d rather scout out the pound or find a good breeder now. Bodie has her quirks, she will point but won’t retrieve migratory birds including doves, Eats my fresh caught trout like a carrot, head first, won‘t eat food with pork in it, buries her food if she doesn’t like it, loves the snow and cold weather and girls!

she was the runt but probably got the most attention from my granddaughter. I think that made her the gentle high energy dog that I love. Best hunter by far, loves the water.

Reactions: 260284
If you want to kill all the birds with one stone: a lab, but specifically a pointing lab. They exist. I’ve had labs my entire life as family dogs and hunting partners. We have two at the moment. One has english/conformation lines. He’s a very handsome gentle giant. Loves water, loves love, always willing to work with you not against you, just a big oaf. The other is a female pointing lab. She loves water just like most labs but she’s also got the intelligence, drive and of course the point in the upland field of a pointing breed. Because her intelligence and drive are so high she thinks she knows better sometimes and takes a slightly firmer training regimen. I’ve been to hunt tests with these dogs, and while there had the opportunity to witness some of my regions best bred and trained retrievers. Of course I’ve loved and admired every lab we’ve had, but this one in particular is special.

Most any lab is going to be a great family dog. If you want one that can do certain things regarding hunting, think about what those things are. What kind of hunting? what frequency? What traits are important to you? Maybe you don’t quite know yet. I suggest finding your closest AKC and/or HRC(UKC) hunt test this fall and watching dogs test in all three levels, starting with the youngens and working your way up to the top dogs later in the day. Talk to the Handler’s of dogs you appreciate watching in particular. In your case pay extra attention to the younger dogs in started/jr class. The raw potential is what you’re looking for.

You can read all the reviews on breeds and breeders you want, but when you see the handlers in action you get an idea of the place the pups are coming from (Is it dogs first or results first? It’ll be apparent) When you see the dogs in action you see the potential in the blood lines and what’s possible with your very own pup should you choose to invest time (lots of time) in training your own dog.

Last bit of advice: buy the book “The Wildrose Way: raising a gentleman’s gun dog for the home and field”, immediately. It’s one of my training bibles in that I reference it often, even when it’s been read a few times cover to cover. It’s a wonderfully written manual that doubles as a great coffee table book with fantastic photography.

If a pointing lab intrigues you I can give advice for a breeder (pm me) but...I still think you should scope some different options out irl as well. Lastly! Enjoy the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 260284 and secm
I grew up on liver pointers and labs. Spent about 15 years training dogs for a local game preserve and field trials. A vet friend of mine who also hunts told me I should try a Brittney. I did and have never looked back. Owed 6 different ones now and never had a bad one. Labs take about two years to mature enough to really do anything with and only about one in ten liver pointers worked out. A Brittany will be on point in 9 months. I have owned one German short haired and he did great. I bought him as a 4yr old all ready to go. Hunted him for two years till someone decided they liked him more than I did. I am presently on my second Wiener and both have been awesome dogs. They are tough as nails and great family dogs but have tons of energy. I would look first at a Brittany and then at a Wiener or short haired. Make sure you get one that comes from hunting stock and not just a show dog, especially if you get a Wiener. Brittanies and Wieners are both great family dogs.

Attachments

• 16003162962161509736954.jpg
    16003162962161509736954.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 33
I grew up with Brittany's and they were all great hunters and pets.
I'd push the shorthair further down the list because around the family they are more high strung.

+100 for the Brittany. Smaller size than a lab and tails are docked so you don't deal with things getting nocked off shelves and kids slapped in the face. Smaller mess in the yard than a bigger dog if you have to deal with picking up poo. And I'll take some heat for this one but get a female because I hate the male dogs of any species pissing on everything like your truck tires.