• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Loopy MK AR mod 1 review

ewoaf

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2009
    Albemarle VA
    beaurobbins.com
    So there I was, bored and all monied up. I decided on a whim that I was in the market for a smaller optic to mount on a 300 BLK as a sort of SPR/DMR platform. It pretty much started when I was given a few 20rnd mags and didn't know what to do with them. In my mind, the only thing 20s are good for is a precision platform in the prone. I planned on saving them for a future SPR build, but since I had the hardware, I threw on a Harris and a 20 onto the BLK SBR. Sure it looked cool, but is it practical? I have no idea but I guess an honest range eval is in order.

I start by hitting the gun shops around town. First one I get to, and there she is. I had no idea they existed, and certainly not for the price point. This is a Leupold MK AR MOD 1. It is a 2nd focal 3x9x40 with a standard mildot. The cool of it is, that has mil knobs, the first that I've seen in any ol random gun shop. Progress is great isn't it? I was looking for something more like the 4x range, but a little over kill never hurt anyone right? 4 is somewhere in between 3-9 right? It struck me as a very practical optic in the low powered range that would fit the bill nicely on a SPR/DMR, or even a tactical rimfire. For $350 why not buy it just to have it? I quickly took my purchase over to Wyoming Tactical Supply for their better selection of rings. I wanted a QD type throw lever mount in order to quickly convert the thing back to a more SBR room broom platform with an EOTech should the mood strike me. One ADM mount later, and I was golden. This would also allow me the ability to switch it over to other rifles on a whim, or for a backup.

The first thing I noticed was the exceptional glass. It's really clear. Both knobs are in .1 mil, it has a fixed parallax, and the elevation knob has BDC markings for a 55gr at 3100 fps out to 700yds, which could be handy to some, not so much on a BLK. It's slim with a 1" tube, and somewhat short. The knobs are just a teensy bit squshy, but being a loopy, I'm not worried about failure or customer service any more than anything else I buy. Without having eve sighted it in or giving it a proper eval, I would recomend this so far as a good entry level optic. Someone needing to glass out a tactical trainer or AR would be well suited to finding one of these. For $350 I doubt you can find a better buy on American glass. Range testing will commence this afternoon.... more to follow.

I looked at this scope last friday at a local shop and I felt the exact way you do about it. I didnt buy it but I thought hard about it.....pretty good glass for the price. I think Leupold's done a nice job in the last few years giving shooters what they asked for. There was a time when they didn't offer much more than hunting scopes...but times have changed. ;)

okie

So I took it out and got it all mounted up proper like, zeroed and all. It tracks well, clicks aren't as bad as I thought, and it has generous eye relief. I take it back about being good on a rimfire. The fixed parallax was very annoying closer than 100yds. Get something with an AO. The good news is that it's a lot closer to what it's advertized as.....SPR glass. When I swapped ammo from 208 subs to 110 supers, she started to shine out at those longer distances.

I have the Mark AR Mod 1 P5 3-9x on my CZ527 .223. SO far, I like it very much. I havent had a chance to REALLY wring it out, but can find nothing negative with the scope in any way.

My only beef with the VX R scopes I've had is that the firedot reticules are too thick for target shooting. If you can deal with a thick reticule they are decent scopes for relatively affordable prices.

My only beef with the VX R scopes I've had is that the firedot reticules are too thick for target shooting. If you can deal with a thick reticule they are decent scopes for relatively affordable prices.

I do agree with this. This is not a reticle suitable for punching tiny holes in paper a long way away. For hunting, and practical shooting, I havent had a huge issue.

I do agree with this. This is not a reticle suitable for punching tiny holes in paper a long way away. For hunting, and practical shooting, I havent had a huge issue.

I personally wish they would make a non illuminated version with a open box TMR and SPR.