• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loose .223 primer pockets

fusiachi

PFC Snuffy
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
South of Expected
Using Lake City brass as an example, does anyone have some guidance on how many reloads I can perform before primer pocket expansion will become a concern? Other than the feel of the primer as it's inserted, are there any precursors to look for before things get to the "gas escaping from the primer pocket" stage?

Re: Loose .223 primer pockets

Unfortunately it's not a can of beer with 12 fl.oz. printed on the can. Lake City is generally good brass, but it depends on a) how hot you load, b) what primers you use, Wins are narrower and go in easier, Fed 205Ms are wider and go in harder, which can be a good thing with pockets starting to loosen up.

If you're not oversizing and shooting an AR, you might get 3-5 before it's time to call it a day and retire them. If it's a bolt gun and you load to moderate pressures, the sky might be the limit?

As you prime them, check the easy ones by rapping them against the open palm and see if they back out, or fall out completely. I had one, once, that flew right across the desk and a couple of others that backed out, but not entirely. That's when you know your brass needs to be scrapped.

Chris

If your loads are moderate the primer pocket is the last thing to fail on a 223 case. I've got 8 loadings out of REM brass shot exclusively in the AR and the pockets are fine. On the other hand, if you are way up there on pressure they can be done in 1 loading.

I have 20+ load cycles on Black Hills Blue Box cast-offs* without annealing on LC cases using 69 gr SMKs and 24.8 gr Varget with CCI primers using bushing dies and neck-only sizing most of the time.

(*) My first reload on these is cycle 3. 1=LC factory, 2=BH, 3=me

Loose primer pockets is a sure sign of hot-rodding the loads too much.

In an AR, there is a certain risk of breaking a bolt. Never done it or seen it myself, but I've heard plenty of people report what they have done and seen.

Only exception I know of (and maybe they WERE too hot) was a bunch of factory FC brass that I obtained after they were fired at 100F or higher a few years ago. About 3% of them had ejector marks and loose pockets. I identified them by rapping the edges of the primed cases's rims on a tabletop and looking for high primers. Some just flew out. I just recently got pressure signs with a few of those cases (reload #2 now) during some load development, but the pockets STILL hold primers.

Thanks for the replies. My rifle has a 1:7 twist and seems happiest with velocities in the 2700-2800 fps. range, so no worries with regard to loads on the hot end of the spectrum.

Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers can be your Friend especially if you have become Fond of some of your Cases. They are just a little bit Larger in Diameter than others and are very consistant across the chronograph.......

I've had federal brass losen up after just a few reloads. I ended up burning pits in my bolt face. Don't shoot them if they go in easy, or you will pit your bolt face.