• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Loose barrel in AR reciever?

mnjm

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2005
Alexandria MN
Hopefully not a stupid question, but I'm going to be putting together an AR upper tomorrow and while I've put together and taken apart 4-5 other uppers before, when I dry fit the barrel into the upper receiver, it was very loose...it didn't need any lube at all and easily slips in and out with a bit of play. All the other uppers I've worked on were very tight. I don't have any feeler gauges so I can't tell you how much play there is.

Will this be cool to put together or should I send the barrel back?

Thanks in advance

Re: Loose barrel in AR reciever?

Depending on how loose, you will not get repeatable accuracy. I would mic the barrel extension and the upper and see which one (or both) are out of spec and replace the part that is out of spec. just my 2 cents

Good luck
Robb

Re: Loose barrel in AR reciever?

Some blue locktite will take care of most barrels, and if you don't mind a little more permanent solution, go green locktite.