• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

loose barrel?

stranded

Minuteman
Aug 26, 2011
S.E. Nebraska
Guys, sorry my google fu isn't better, is it common for the barrel to be loose in the receiver on a 541s? I get about an 1/8th inch movement vertically when holding the receiver firm. How do I search properly? Thank you if anyone can help.

Thank you for replying. Yeah, action out of the stock. Looks like two pins crosswise. I didn't want to go to my smith if this is normal and lower his oppion of me further. :)

Last edited:
Just an up date. I took the barreled action to my 'smith. He looked like he was trying to humor me, until he felt the barrel move. He didn't think he had ever heard of a loose factory barrel. Anyway, he was going to check roundness of the receiver to see if knurling the barrel to re-press fit would work. He agreed I may have an expensive doner action. :(

Thank you, DFOOSKING. I really, really,.... didn't want to spend anymore money on this rifle after the purchase price. I just was hoping to match accuracy of my boys' CZ. So far, the 'smith I trust has barreled two rilfes for me which I can't out shoot. That is good enough for me.

Just to up date. My 'smith peened the barrel and pressed it back in using loc tite. I can't say he hurt the accuracy, because now it groups. I will have to find ammo it likes. I can say the feel of this 541T is nowhere as good as the CZ's. Rough bolt, poor mag feeding(to impossible), and extraction issues. Ya, I know I said 541s, that was what the owner had put on the stock and the scope covered the engraving. Might be a gunshow trader. Wouldn't want anyone I know to buy this at the the price I need to replace it.