• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loose Barrel

Cat64

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2013
North Louisiana
Hey guys,

Just seeking some words of wisdom as to what might have happened and what will I do next.... I have a target action with a CBI 6.5X47 Lapua barrel which I put together myself. It has an improved barrel nut and recoil lug. I torqued the barrel in the action at 44 lbs two months ago adding some anti seize. Tonight as I proceeded to check the rifle before a range trip, something felt loose. Then I discovered the barrel was loose such that I can unscrew it with my hand. Hmmmm, why is this happening and what should I do differently tomorrow as I put the platform together? The stock is a B&C Medalist (free floated).

I've done barrel changes on savages around 30 times. Never had this issue. Always use grease too. Just undo it and do it again. There was some type of an issue the first time around. Beauty about the savage. Or remage if that's what you have. Just do it again. And you should.

Never used a torque wrench. But 45 seems a bit light. Maybe increase? What's CBI say?

Last edited:
I've done barrel changes on savages around 30 times. Never had this issue. Always use grease too. Just undo it and do it again. There was some type of an issue the first time around. Beauty about the savage. Or remage if that's what you have. Just do it again. And you should.

Never used a torque wrench. But 45 seems a bit light. Maybe increase? What's CBI say?

40-50 lbs

Have you checked the calibration on your torque wrench? We have 17 at work that we calibrate every six months. Most are usually off. Mine at home was off 15 ft-lbs at 50 when I checked it.

Make sure there's nothing interfering with the fit of the parts. If something is bound up, then you torque it, then it somehow jars and becomes un-bound, say bye bye to your torque value.