• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loose powder for muzloaders, how do you load it?

NaturesKin

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
do you literally just pour loose black powder as is into the barrel?

Help me out anybody, I dont want to blow my face up....

Re: Loose powder for muzloaders, how do you load it?

You have to measure the amount you want as the load, then pour it into the barrel. Then load a lubed patched ball. What kind of rifle do you have? I reccoment Lyman's Black Powder guide. You need to read this book before attemting to shoot a black powder rifle.

James

make sure you measure by volume, not weight, there are volume measuring powder funnels for sale most everywhere.

Get a reloading manual for black powder. You can screw up real quick with black powder.

Good luck

Jerry

I'm by no expert, but I have shot some smoke poles in my day.

My load for my hunting rifle is 100grs under a saboted round.
I measure 100 grains into a dedicated black powder measure(volume), then dump in down the barrel.

Start what ever slug you are running and push it down till you feel it hit the powder, dont be an animal here.

Once you hit the powder charge give it one good tap, again don't be an animal. Its also a good thing to mark your ramrod with proper seating depth for future loadings. It helps to let you know that you have not over or under charged the gun. I use a piece of electrical tape that ends up flush with the crown when properly loaded.

Thats how I do it. If you know anyone that shoots BP ask them to give you a demo or go to the range with you to help out.

Almost forgot, I fire a few caps threw the gun before loading to clean/dry out the "chamber" when I get the gun out of the safe at the beginning of the season or after cleaning.

Try Triple 7 or American pioneer powder. You have to measure by volume. After I get the volume we do then measure the volume by weight so we can then get more accurate shots. I shoot a Barnes 285 gr muzzleloading bullet and have taken deer to 230yds out of my Encore