• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loose primer pockets and accuracy

Re: Loose primer pockets and accuracy

I'll add that they are certainly not falling out but I noticed they went in fairly easy this time...no gas marks shown on the brass after the last firing but I'll prob toss them after this.

Lapua Brass, 44Gr Varget, 175SMK's, 210M's I think they are on their 7th firing

If you clean the primer pocket frequently then it becomes loose faster. Do you FL or neck size only? 7 reloads for Lapua brass is short. Mine have over 15 reloads. Stop counting after that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant imagine it would be good, but the escaping gas from the primer pocket will start eroding your boltface, so Its not worth running them. </div></div>

+1...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you clean the primer pocket frequently then it becomes loose faster. Do you FL or neck size only? 7 reloads for Lapua brass is short. Mine have over 15 reloads. Stop counting after that. </div></div>

This could be my problem as I always touch the pockets up....I'll let them go a bit and see what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you clean the primer pocket frequently then it becomes loose faster. Do you FL or neck size only? 7 reloads for Lapua brass is short. Mine have over 15 reloads. Stop counting after that. </div></div>

This could be my problem as I always touch the pockets up....I'll let them go a bit and see what happens. </div></div>

I use a primer pocket clean-up tool (cutter) every reload cycle and I still get 30+ reloads on a set of Win cases with 47.8 gr Varget pushing 155 scenars without primer pockets loosening up. The trick is to use the tool with care and not remove any sidewall material.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the only problem you are facing is loose primer pockets and the case is still fine, then just fix up the primer pocket and load away.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=911104 </div></div>

My bad on the cases this batch was Federal GM brass...

I wonder if my Dillon Swager will do the same thing to the pockets, I thought it was only for removing the crimps..

The Dillon swager is only for removing military crimps, it will do nothing to make them tight again. The Hart case saver is the only product on the market that does what you need.

Those must have been some hot ass loads! I got well over 10 loads on my Lapua .308 brass, Annealing every 4th reload.

I used Hart primer pocket reformer to tighten them back up about every 4th firing when I was shooting Varget and RL15 behind 155L in Lapua case 47.8 Varget and 46.1 RL 15. I have swithed to IMR 8202 xbr equal to or better fps with no flatten primers or enlarged pockets.