• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loose primer pockets??

magyarbetyar

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2009
Communist State of California
Tried doing a search but meet with negative results. I just finished preping all my brass and was installing the primers and noticed that some went it WAY to easy. When I mean by easy I could pop the primer back out with samll punch (I already know what you are thnking) and very slight hand presure. I mean very slight. Do you guys come across this at all?

Only thing I can think of is I went a little to crazy with the primer pocket uniformer. Anybody else had this learning curve?

Re: Loose primer pockets??

I have used the RCBS primer crimp swage die set to bring the primer pockets into a better size range. If these are newer cases, you might want to look at your loads. I have never done it on brass fired HOT less than 4 times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magyarbetyar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried doing a search but meet with negative results. I just finished preping all my brass and was installing the primers and noticed that some went it WAY to easy. When I mean by easy I could pop the primer back out with samll punch (I already know what you are thnking) and very slight hand presure. I mean very slight. Do you guys come across this at all?

Only thing I can think of is I went a little to crazy with the primer pocket uniformer. Anybody else had this learning curve? </div></div>

Like Victor said, if you're loading hot, you're going to naturally blow out your primer pockets sooner, rather than later.

If you're decrimping military brass and get to excited with the reamer, then you can shorten the walls of the pocket and reduce friction on the primer.

Uniforming your primer pockets deals mostly with the bottom surface, not the sides of the pocket.

Federal brass has a history of being soft, hence, normal loads will yield a loose pocket much like a hot load.

There is a tool made that can pinch the walls in I guess (?) on loose primer pockets, but I have enough brass where I'll chuck the few that do loosen up on me. Not worth the effort or expence to start dicking with it when I have lots of others to rotate through.

You don't mention the brass specifically, nor the amount of cycles, so we can't really say for sure.

9 out 10 times, it's either Federal fired a couple/few times, or it's a hot load fired more than a few times, for loose primer pockets.

Chris

As the above advised check your load, I get around 5 firings of one load which is stiff ( Palma Rifle)before they are loose. If it happened on first firing I would be making ajustments right then, especially on a gas gun. I am useing a Hart Primer Pocket Swager and also Russian LMR primers ( there Dia. is alittle bigger). I have not tried the RCBS which might be more consistant, the Hart feel for fit tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magyarbetyar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was happening wth Federal and Winchester brass. Thi is all once fired brass out of and AR-10. </div></div>

It's always best to give as much info up front, so people reading your post can venture educated guesses.

We now have an AR-10, Federal and Winchester brass, once fired, for a single cycle on the brass.

Now, my next question is going to be an obvious one, but somewhat critical.

What was the first loading? Factory Win and Fed ammo? Something you reloaded and fired yourself with brand new Fed and Win brass? What powder, bullets, primers were you using, how long is your throat and how long were you seating your bullets, little things like those?

Secondly, with moderate, even hotter than moderate loads and 1x factory loaded ammo/brass, you probably shouldn't have loose pockets, save for the Federal brass, where all bets are off.

I'm on my sixth cycle with some RP and Federal and the Fed pockets are fine with moderate 44-45grs of the usual suspects for 308, so there's no absolute with Fed brass, at least in 308...223 is another matter entirely.

Without knowing the initial recipes of the first cycle, all I can say is that shit happens. Discard the loose ones and move on. Life's too short to fret the little things.

Chris

Thanks for all the help. The brass was all once fired factory ammo. And the majority of the rejects was Federal brass. I will mark it up to Federal brass being less then desirable and move on from there. Thanks guys.

I didn't read everything here so maybe this was covered. i distroyed an AR-15 bolt shooting loose primers. It burnt holes like a little cutting tourch in the bolt face.

Primer Pocket Swager

This little device will save that brass that is getting loose pockets! They make them for large and small.

With the price of brass and especially that brass you have all the prep time involved in, its nice to save it from the scrap bucket. I hate seeing a Lapua case in a scrap bucket.

Terry

That Hart primer tool looks sweet. Does it work pretty good? I have around 15 shots on my Remy brass and 14 on my Win brass. I will say that some seat a lot easier than others but never had any fall loose from tapping the brass on the table. I don't load real hot as my max range is 200. Low 44's with Varget and likewise with my other faverite powders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Victor...I think that the RCBS just removes the military crimp, not tightening the pocket. JMHO </div></div>

I have used it to tighten primer pockets before. My setup may not be like yours.

Let me change the above statement just a little. While I was typing an email I remembered that the "stem" or rod that goes down through the cases isn't the factors stem. I have made some custom ones for my own use. I remember I used O-1 tool steel and heat treated them. But I can't really remember the shape of the bottom of the rods.

I can remember constantly cleaning the bottom "punch" that goes into the primer pocket. That may have something to do with it also. But 4/0 steel wool doesn't do much against hardened tool steel.

FNP...
You are correct that RCBS does NOT say the standard unit in question will tighten the primer pockets.

I may have let my alligator mouth overload my hummingbird butt... again.