• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looser Than A Bucket Of Fishing Worms

nwsnowbum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2008
Spokane, WA
I bought some once fired brass and started loading it up. Some of it was crimped and already had the crimp removed from the primer pocket.

I got through prepping the brass and have started priming. I'm using FGMM primers. The primers go in way to easy on some of them and even fall out of a few. (Yes, I am throwing the brass away.)

My question is if there are some sort of go/no go type gauges to check primer pockets before I put the time and effort into prepping them only to find out that the primer pockets are too large?

And out of curiosity, is there anyway to re-crimp the pockets (not that I am thinking about attempting to salvage this brass, purely just curious).

Re: Looser Than A Bucket Of Fishing Worms

Its LC 5.56

I have some WCC 9mm brass that I've had the same scenario with after I got it.

I'm assuming it was over swaged/reamed.

Sounds like it. Post a couple pics of the primer pockets, if they were reamed, it very well could have been over done. You want to just barely remove the crimp. I've seen some where half of the primer pocket was reamed out.

You sure it was only once fired?

I swaged the ones where the crimp wasn't already removed and those ended up just fine and are tight.

No, I am not positive they are only once fired. The ones with the crimp obviously are once fired, some of the others show multiple extractor marks, others show only a single mark.

I thought there might be something that was the same diameter that the primer pocket should be that I could quickly stick in there while doing the initial case inspection. If I could push it in without resistance then I could chuck the case before I wasted anymore time with it.

I use a RCBS primer pocket swage die. It can help get a few more loadings out of worn cases.