• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Losing case length when expanding

Mormegil87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    The Frozen Tundra
    I'm expanding 6mm GT to .25GT. On virgin brass when I run my expander mandrel through the neck or run the brass through my .25GT sizing die, I lose 0.003-0.007" in case length.

Is this normal when expanding necks to a new cartridge neck diameter?

Is it something I need to keep an eye on?

That's normal. They may even shorten a hair more when fire formed. After that, they will begin to gain length. Depending on how many times you reload, how hot your loads are, etc, you may never need to trim except to make them all the same.

Reactions: Mormegil87
    You're making it bigger... the material to make that happen has to come from somewhere. Usually the necks get thinner... but it's not uncommon for them to get shorter too.

Reactions: Mormegil87
    I would not worry about the length at all (as long as it is under max) until you have 2 firings. Then I would measure quite a few of them, in fact, the OCD in me would measure them all :rolleyes:, then trim all of them to the shortest, just for consistency.

Fixed that for you.

One firing often isn’t enough to fully form to the chamber.
    Yes, understand both parts.
    That why I said I would trim after 2 firings. I didn’t stutter and didn’t say 3, not preferably 3. 2 firings and I would trim for uniformity.
    I said exactly what I meant to say.
    Sure…if you want to say that 3 better or a fucking dozen is best, say it. Don’t go trying to put words on what I said.

giphy.gif

Reactions: spife7980