• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Losing Hope

Cosmic338

Ammo will become Currency
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2020
United States
So I work away from home, wanted to get into reloading early 2020 so I started buy the equipment, (Press, dies, stuff I could get my hands on.) I’m about to be home soon and all year I’ve managed to get about 20lbs of powders, a total of 3000 primers, and just a few sets of dies. I haven’t even started actually reloading anything yet and seeing the way the reloading market is and probably will be for a long time, I’m starting to think I should sell what I have and not waste my time anymore, or am I overthinking everything? Seeing how expensive primers and powder are now, and how hard everything is to find, I’m getting doubtful about enjoying this experience like I wanted to when I first started buying everything.

So I work away from home, wanted to get into reloading early 2020 so I started buy the equipment, (Press, dies, stuff I could get my hands on.) I’m about to be home soon and all year I’ve managed to get about 20lbs of powders, a total of 3000 primers, and just a few sets of dies. I haven’t even started actually reloading anything yet and seeing the way the reloading market is and probably will be for a long time, I’m starting to think I should sell what I have and not waste my time anymore, or am I overthinking everything? Seeing how expensive primers and powder are now, and how hard everything is to find, I’m getting doubtful about enjoying this experience like I wanted to when I first started buying everything.

No, keep with it. Like your subtitle says, “Ammo will become currency”. Besides I love being able to control the ammo development process vs relying on a factory to do so for my rifles

at some point, people will not have room to hoard more.
they aren't shooting it, they are hoarding.

a183b631a09480c84523b90f236d8ad6.jpg

If you got it at a good price you could sell or (my vote) you already have it why not use it. Thats 3000 primers and 20lbs of shooting right there

Are you saying all you have is powder and primers, no cases or bullets? Whats the alternative if you sell?

Are you saying all you have is powder and primers, no cases or bullets? Whats the alternative if you sell?
I have around 4000 different kinds of bullets and 1000 223 cases and 100 338 Lapua cases. I’ve been trying to stock up like a mad man while I’m away.

Maybe when I get home and get my bench built and actually start reloading I’ll feel like it’s more worth it but I’m 1500 miles away and just have everything in boxes as it’s arrived.

Reactions: Boon20
Maybe when I get home and get my bench built and actually start reloading I’ll feel like it’s more worth it but I’m 1500 miles away and just have everything in boxes as it’s arrived.
Definitely don't give up if you haven't even got to play yet! Reloading isn't for everyone until they start doing it.

I would take a deep breath and realize it will suck for a while, but you’ll be alright. You could sell it all and have enough to buy a few hundred rounds of ammo... if you can find it.

Use what you have and learn. Primers will become avail, you will just have to be vigilant in your pursuit for them.

Yeah it’s sad that people are doing this. Even worse they’re buying it in stores and reselling it on GB
i gave a couple of strangers some ammo the last trip to the range because all they could get for the ar-10 they built was tula or wolf, which the range doesn't allow (any ammo that can cause sparks).
i told them (a young guy and his girlfriend or wife) to pay it forward when they have a chance.

i also them them both take some shots with my scar 20s. the grins were worth the box of ammo.

I have around 4000 different kinds of bullets and 1000 223 cases and 100 338 Lapua cases. I’ve been trying to stock up like a mad man while I’m away.
It honestly sounds to me like you have plenty to shoot for a while, unless you compete, but if you sell what could be thousands of rounds that just need to be loaded, will you be able to find the same amount in factory? I have 4 bolt rifles, my target rifles have a couple thousand rounds worth of components, and my hunting rifles have less than a thousand, but they get shot less. It's a little worrisome that I couldn't afford more, but really, that should last me at least 5 years until I really start to panic. The hunting rifles even longer. Take what you have, learn how to load and enjoy it. I doubt you will find enough factory ammo to replace all that.

Reactions: theLBC
Being on here is like having access to the biggest reloading book on the planet too.
Never give up, NEVER SURRENDER! -Buzz Lightyear

Reactions: theLBC
Not sure what round you are reloading for but if I had the components to load 3000 rounds I would stick with it!

Im picking up reloading again for of all things .410 shotgun. Out of a tps M6 combo gun.

Just want to.

When you get home get to know what lgs stock and sell reloading components, talk to the old guys wondering around they know when the shipments come in and usually what time the shelves get stocked. We are back to Obama times with guns and ammo. In three months you will start to see more stock, the panic buying will start to slowdown. Then it’s buy your limit every time you see something you use, even if you have 10lbs and 3k primers.

Reactions: Davo308
It honestly sounds to me like you have plenty to shoot for a while, unless you compete, but if you sell what could be thousands of rounds that just need to be loaded, will you be able to find the same amount in factory? I have 4 bolt rifles, my target rifles have a couple thousand rounds worth of components, and my hunting rifles have less than a thousand, but they get shot less. It's a little worrisome that I couldn't afford more, but really, that should last me at least 5 years until I really start to panic. The hunting rifles even longer. Take what you have, learn how to load and enjoy it. I doubt you will find enough factory ammo to replace all that.
yup!
unfortunately, i am a poor and i don't hand load...but i decided fuck it!
i even bought a case of over-priced ammo so i don't have to dig into my reserves.
if they take my guns, they aren't getting them in like new condition. :ROFLMAO:

Huh. The way people talk about primers it seems like 10-20 k is the norm but if y’all say 3000 is good I say it’s good lol

If it wasn’t obvious already, I’ll say it again. At least half of what you read about guns and gun related topics on a “forum” is total nonsense.

Even shooting "minute of angle all day"?

Even when you "do your part"?

• Haha
Reactions: Foul Mike
I’d say you have the perfect amount of components to start reloading/learning. I started on a single stage press weighing out every load on a little scale, time consuming but so relaxing. You’ll make mistakes so make small batches and test them as you go along to see what your guns like, don’t be like me and load 300 9mm at the suggested min load only to have the gun not cycle them. I spent 45 mins gangsta racking all that ammo to shoot it off, fook pulling all those bullets! Main thing is to have fun and enjoy rolling your own!