• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Lost about divisions /classes and where to start?

louu

The only NON methhead in NJ
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2020
Hi guys

So I'm obviously new to this and I'm going to start slow to try to avoid all the money wasting mistakes I've made with USPSA and 3 gun. I've been shooting uspsa and 3 gun very intensely for the past 7 years or so. It's my main hobby.

I still don't really understand if this long range shooting /PRS/whatever else there is, has equipment divisions like USPSA and 3 gun. Basically I'm trying to figure out what to start with. I've seen rifles on here that were $2499 just add glass and you could be in production division. Do all the different matches around the country have/use the same divisions? Is there a standard rule book like USPSA or is it an unorganized shit show like 3 gun?

It kinda seems to me on here everyones rifle is completely different and they are just building what they want with concern of what division they will be in. Unless I'm missing that?

What I would like to do and what is definate for now is next week I'm buying a Vortex razor HD gen 2 4.5-27 with the EBR-7C in MRAD. A few weeks later I'm going to buy a Tikka rifle in .308 because I'm already setup for loading 308 and don't want to take on another caliber right now. Then a little while after that I'm going to put that rifle in a nice chassis with an arca rail. Then practice, get use to it and have fun. Then change the barrel to a 6.5 creedmoor, get loading that and by then I should be ready to go to some matches. Going to matches is going to be difficult because there is none around here so it's going to be some traveling. I want to make sure it will be worth it. If I do all that with that setup witch division will that put me in?

I'm telling you right now I'm going to suck at this and don't want to end up in open division with all the bad asses

What I would like to do and what is definate for now is next week I'm buying a Vortex razor HD gen 2 4.5-27 with the EBR-7C in MRAD. A few weeks later I'm going to buy a Tikka rifle in .308 because I'm already setup for loading 308 and don't want to take on another caliber right now. Then a little while after that I'm going to put that rifle in a nice chassis with an arca rail. Then practice, get use to it and have fun. Then change the barrel to a 6.5 creedmoor, get loading that and by then I should be ready to go to some matches. Going to matches is going to be difficult because there is none around here so it's going to be some traveling. I want to make sure it will be worth it. If I do all that with that setup witch division will that put me in?

I'm telling you right now I'm going to suck at this and don't want to end up in open division with all the bad asses
Do all that to that Tikka and in open is right where you'll be.

Don't worry about it. Just like USPSA, you'll suck at first no matter where you start. Unlike USPSA, where you can find heat in just about all divisions, I think PRS production and tactical divisions are pretty much empty.

I could be wrong tho. Only did a few PRS club matches ever because they take all fucking day long and the closest one is almost 3 hrs away. I have USPSA 1 hr from home or less almost every weekend of the month.

Reactions: louu
If you decide to shoot production class, you are shooting the same match as us open guys, and against pro level Shooters that decided to leave their $8k rigs at home that match, or "practice" with a 308. It really isn't the entry level class it was meant to be.

Just buy the best you can afford, and go shoot. You're gonna suck, but we all did when we started.

Thanks @308pirate and @Skg_Mre_Lght, are you guys saying there's really no divisions and everyone pretty much shoots open with all different skill levels?

Thanks @308pirate and @Skg_Mre_Lght, are you guys saying there's really no divisions and everyone pretty much shoots open with all different skill levels?

Yeah pretty much.

Technically you are shooting a different division when shooting Production Class because it has its own plaque/trophy/whatever. You can literally show up with with a MPA and an ATACR for your first match, and you'll be shooting open class with everyone else that has been shooting matches with that setup for years.

You can show up with a Savage with a Viper PST, shoot Production class, and get your clock cleaned when Satterlee shows up.

I have shot with Phil Velayo quite a bit (he's local), and he'll run the Tac class.

It's just a division of equipment and calibers, not skill level.

Reactions: kcrippen and louu
with 308 you can shoot Tactical division and production if you keep your rifle in original chassis. Once you change the stock then you have to go for Open or Tactical with .308

Reactions: E-Tool and louu
Thanks for all the replies guys.

My only real, um, fear, for lack of a better word of open division is with 3 gun and uspsa is there is so much gear/gamer garbage to buy and if you don't have it your behind the 8 ball to start. I really like simple divisions where it's more about the guy pressing the trigger and less about how much batman shit you have.

Slow day at work so I've been reading a lot more about it. It seems just like you guys are saying that every division is the same.

Do you guys think my plan is okay? Should I go a different direction with the rifle? The scope is a definite because I get good deals on Vortex, I'm just waiting for the guy that bought my viper to get it in the mail and say he's happy with it before I spend the money. Then I need time off of work to go up to EuroOptic to grab a rifle.

There absolutely will be gamer shit, as with any sport. There is a reason Nascar and Formula One has so many restrictions, and rewrite them yearly is because someone is trying to game the system.

The gun community is full of gear queer, as a matter of fact, I would say there is a little of that in all of us. Who doesn't like perusing Mile High, or Bravo Company looking at the latest and greatest gadgets. That's one of the reason we are all on SH is because we like reading about new gear.

You'll be fine, just don't get caught up in the crap. I use two bags for every match, a homemade rear bag, and a Game Changer. I do fine.

Reactions: 308pirate and louu
There absolutely will be gamer shit, as with any sport. There is a reason Nascar and Formula One has so many restrictions, and rewrite them yearly is because someone is trying to game the system.

The gun community is full of gear queer, as a matter of fact, I would say there is a little of that in all of us. Who doesn't like perusing Mile High, or Bravo Company looking at the latest and greatest gadgets. That's one of the reason we are all on SH is because we like reading about new gear.

You'll be fine, just don't get caught up in the crap. I use two bags for every match, a homemade rear bag, and a Game Changer. I do fine.
This forum is awesome, thanks man

Reactions: Skg_Mre_Lght
What part of the country are you in? Go see a close match. I would not buy a bunch of gear until you see a match or shoot a first match. I will be like the classis USPSA shooter getting all geared up in Production and then three matches later deciding really wants to go Open and spends $$ twice (or more). As a new shooter, I bought a used custom 6.5 CM off the classified here and I will use it until I shoot out the barrel then go to a 6mm. I will be that guy and say do not buy the 308 - get a Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor and shoot it for a while then start customizing. 6.5 CM is not hard to load for with plenty of components available (except primers) but you need those in 308 too?

I have never been to a match where people don't share stuff, unless it is expressly prohibited, IE Steel Safari, Team Safari and even then people still do it because they'd rather help someone out and risk a DQ than see someone struggle unnecessarily.

You will be able use every piece of gamer gear in your squad I'd bet, all you need to do is show up, and ask.

Reactions: louu and 308pirate
What part of the country are you in? Go see a close match. I would not buy a bunch of gear until you see a match or shoot a first match. I will be like the classis USPSA shooter getting all geared up in Production and then three matches later deciding really wants to go Open and spends $$ twice (or more). As a new shooter, I bought a used custom 6.5 CM off the classified here and I will use it until I shoot out the barrel then go to a 6mm. I will be that guy and say do not buy the 308 - get a Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor and shoot it for a while then start customizing. 6.5 CM is not hard to load for with plenty of components available (except primers) but you need those in 308 too?

I'm in south jersey. I haven't found any real prs matches anywhere around here. The only thing close to a PRS match is about 2 hours away and it's a gas gun match shot with AR's. I shot it once and it was cool but nothing like the stuff I see on YouTube.

Yeah that's the mistake I don't want to make although with uspsa I am trying to get classified in every division (except PCC, fuck PCC)

Yeah your right that I should just go 6.5 from the start. I was thinking to put it off for a little while because I'm really thinking about getting one of those fancy FX120 automatic scales next for the loading room instead of starting another caliber just yet. I have a lot of nice stuff for 308 including a lot of nice matched brass and a viratey of powder and bullets. I'm just making excuses now but your right.

Thanks bud

I have never been to a match where people don't share stuff, unless it is expressly prohibited, IE Steel Safari, Team Safari and even then people still do it because they'd rather help someone out and risk a DQ than see someone struggle unnecessarily.

You will be able use every piece of gamer gear in your squad I'd bet, all you need to do is show up, and ask.

Thanks bud

Reactions: Scwalker83
Check out Mason Dixon PRS series. I think they will mostly be shot at New Holland 2021.
That range is probably under 1 hr for you.
I plan to start PRS next year with that series. 1:45min for me.

I shot one of the Geissele gan gun matches there a few weeks ago & it was a cool match. I shot it with a 308 so there you go. Shoot 308 gas gun using current reloading set up & build a 6.5C for PRS.

Reactions: kcrippen and louu
Check out Mason Dixon PRS series. I think they will mostly be shot at New Holland 2021.
That range is probably under 1 hr for you.
I plan to start PRS next year with that series. 1:45min for me.

I shot one of the Geissele gan gun matches there a few weeks ago & it was a cool match. I shot it with a 308 so there you go. Shoot 308 gas gun using current reloading set up & build a 6.5C for PRS.
That's awesome, I just found their website! I shot the second to last gas gun match and shoot 3 gun there regularly. I shot a 308 for that match to that I specifically got for that match and it turned out to be a huge waste of money. I should have just used my regular 3 gun rifle,,,, next time. The town of Westminster in MD is only a couple of hours from me. I'll be shooting that series for sure thanks man.

Have you shot the Mason Dixon matches? Are they as complicated as the gas gun match was? I mean with all that target number this and that from this spot. With 30 different numbered targets out there? Or is it like you see on YouTube of an NRL or prs match where you just shoot the same 2 targets from different positions in the same spot?

That's awesome, I just found their website! I shot the second to last gas gun match and shoot 3 gun there regularly. I shot a 308 for that match to that I specifically got for that match and it turned out to be a huge waste of money. I should have just used my regular 3 gun rifle,,,, next time. The town of Westminster in MD is only a couple of hours from me. I'll be shooting that series for sure thanks man.

Have you shot the Mason Dixon matches? Are they as complicated as the gas gun match was? I mean with all that target number this and that from this spot. With 30 different numbered targets out there? Or is it like you see on YouTube of an NRL or prs match where you just shoot the same 2 targets from different positions in the same spot?
Louu - I think we were at the same match. Second to last (last one before the finally). That's the first match I've ever shot. I learned a lot. The mover kicked my ass, only got off like 6 shots and hit it once. I had the magnification to high for that mover & 308 knocked sight picture off every shot. To be honest I think the mover would have been easier if it were 4-500yards instead of 300.
I did hit the 5 second hanging K-bar for 10 & also got the 2 second hostage target @600 on last stage for 10 (my squad was getting settled behind our guns & I was the first name called). Anyway like a good golf shot I'm hooked now. I think I finished 21st overall & I'm very pleased with that.

How is your AR10 set up?

Mine is 18" proof Carbon barrel with UBR stock & probably could use a little weight.

The only changes I'm going to make is to switch to 150 - 155 grain for that match. I also might add a little weight in the stock & or rail.
The 308 definitely is not an advantage, but I've got plenty on room for improvement so I think I'll stick with 308 next year.

My understanding of the Mason Dixon PRS is that it's somewhat similar to the Geissele. Not sure if they have the mover, but 6-8 unique stages.
You may have noticed the top 2 or 3 open class in the Geissele were actually bolt guns. Those were the Mason Dixon guys. From what I was told there are some very good shooters in that series.

Louu - I think we were at the same match. Second to last (last one before the finally). That's the first match I've ever shot. I learned a lot. The mover kicked my ass, only got off like 6 shots and hit it once. I had the magnification to high for that mover & 308 knocked sight picture off every shot. To be honest I think the mover would have been easier if it were 4-500yards instead of 300.
I did hit the 5 second hanging K-bar for 10 & also got the 2 second hostage target @600 on last stage for 10 (my squad was getting settled behind our guns & I was the first name called). Anyway like a good golf shot I'm hooked now. I think I finished 21st overall & I'm very pleased with that.

How is your AR10 set up?

Mine is 18" proof Carbon barrel with UBR stock & probably could use a little weight.

The only changes I'm going to make is to switch to 150 - 155 grain for that match. I also might add a little weight in the stock & or rail.
The 308 definitely is not an advantage, but I've got plenty on room for improvement so I think I'll stick with 308 next year.

My understanding of the Mason Dixon PRS is that it's somewhat similar to the Geissele. Not sure if they have the mover, but 6-8 unique stages.
You may have noticed the top 2 or 3 open class in the Geissele were actually bolt guns. Those were the Mason Dixon guys. From what I was told there are some very good shooters in that series.

I don't think it was the same match we didn't have a mover but I heard that thing was a ton of fun. The match I shot was on August 15th. I got a springfield saint, stuffed in a geissele hsnm trigger with the lightest spring and put a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP on top of it. I only had the rifle setup for a couple of weeks before the match and had terrible ammo made for it, didn't have time to make it really, I had a bunch of problems. I also didn't realize the matches took so long so I had to leave before the last stage because the babysitter had to leave. It was fun though.

I just sold the scope off of it and gona put a red dot on it, probably won't shoot it ever again lol.

I found some YouTube videos of the Mason Dixon matches and they look wayyy better. More about actually shooting and less about memorizing target numbers. I've been reading the rule book from percision rifle series that popped up when I searched for the Mason Dixon matches. It seems simple enough. I think I'm going to shoot the bolt gun tactical division with the Tikka in 308. Looks like the furthest shot at the Maryland Rane is 700 yards just like new Holland so I don't think that will be a problem with that setup.

I can't find any info on the 2021 series for that match though probably because it's to early. It looks like you have to have a membership for the percision rifle series to shoot it so I guess I'll get that soon.

Are you going to shoot them matches?

Yes that's my plan. Mason Dixon PRS and Geissele gas gun. I also need to join PRS & keep my eye out for 2021 info for the series. I've got 2 x 6.5 Creedmoor's that would qualify for production class , but the optics don't. I'll be getting a Athlon Cronus this winter & that is right at the limit for production.

I can't find any info on the 2021 series for that match though probably because it's to early. It looks like you have to have a membership for the percision rifle series to shoot it so I guess I'll get that soon.

You don't need a membership. The membership is only if you want your points counted for the season race. Anyone can show up and shoot.

You don't need a membership. The membership is only if you want your points counted for the season race. Anyone can show up and shoot.
Sounds good. I'll probably join anyway, I heard they have stickers lol

Awesome, thanks bud

Keep your eye on the MDPRS FB page for the Beginner's Match we run every year. It is usually in April and fills quickly. It's designed for those that have never shot a precision rifle type match before. We have 12-15 experienced shooters come out to help and bring all their gear. You essentially shoot an entire match with help the whole way.

Reactions: louu and 357Max
Keep your eye on the MDPRS FB page for the Beginner's Match we run every year. It is usually in April and fills quickly. It's designed for those that have never shot a precision rifle type match before. We have 12-15 experienced shooters come out to help and bring all their gear. You essentially shoot an entire match with help the whole way.
That would be amazing! Unfortunately I don't have facebook, is there an email list I can sign up for? I'd like to sign up for it now if that's possible.

That would be amazing! Unfortunately I don't have facebook, is there an email list I can sign up for? I'd like to sign up for it now if that's possible.

There isn't an email list but a few guys are working on a website. Everyone pretty much hates FB but it is an easy way to get info out. You can also follow the club page on Practiscore. That's where all match registration takes place.

I'm late to your party, and you've got some great input so far, some of which I'll echo.

As far as what division, class, category, etc. Forget all of it. It doesn't matter.*

I started shooting PRS this year after a fair amount of F Class, some random IDPA, High Power, etc. PRS production, open, tactical, whatever. I ignored it all. I was shooting either a 'production' type rifle, or a 'custom' build, so I usually did Production or Open. But again, none of it mattered.

I don't shoot to chase points or trophies. Beers after the match, yes, but I could give two shits about points. My goal and focus on getting into PRS was to develop another skillset and shooting discipline. That's it. So long as I was developing skills, learning, doing some travel, enjoying myself, etc. didn't matter if I was production, open, tactical, or whatever.

*Until you start chasing points, shooting in a sponsors jersey, tracked for points, regional standings, national standings, etc.

I'm late to your party, and you've got some great input so far, some of which I'll echo.

As far as what division, class, category, etc. Forget all of it. It doesn't matter.*

I started shooting PRS this year after a fair amount of F Class, some random IDPA, High Power, etc. PRS production, open, tactical, whatever. I ignored it all. I was shooting either a 'production' type rifle, or a 'custom' build, so I usually did Production or Open. But again, none of it mattered.

I don't shoot to chase points or trophies. Beers after the match, yes, but I could give two shits about points. My goal and focus on getting into PRS was to develop another skillset and shooting discipline. That's it. So long as I was developing skills, learning, doing some travel, enjoying myself, etc. didn't matter if I was production, open, tactical, or whatever.

*Until you start chasing points, shooting in a sponsors jersey, tracked for points, regional standings, national standings, etc.
Thanks man great advice.

From my own experience, chasing points takes the fun out of it. Shoot for fun and to improve your skills. Everything else like points / standing will follow.

From my own experience, chasing points takes the fun out of it. Shoot for fun and to improve your skills. Everything else like points / standing will follow.
It's fun if you're competing at that level. In PRS, I'm not, I knew I wasn't and wouldn't be, and set my expectations appropriately, so it was (and still is) a non-issue for me.
I have a blast every match. I travel. I meet like minded folks, and I'm shooting / developing a skill set which I enjoy.

Reactions: 308pirate and louu
Just to give a little more info. I shoot in the MDPRS league. I also shot in the gas gun match you were at, and it is very similar to PRS matches, other then round counts do matter and overall time does not. You have a par time, mostly 90 sec, and it does not matter if you finish in 50 secs or 90.1sec. Every match the MDs try to spice up the stages with different props and creative courses of fire. There is generally only one stage that the time counts for a tie breaker. There is a lot of target order manipulation to mess you up, but it is part of the sport and once you shoot a couple matches, it comes much easier to understand the flow. Same thing with Hold over/under targets. If you shoot in a 2 day match, it will help you a lot.

For the 2 ranges we mostly shoot at, Mayberry and New Holland, the 308 will be fine, Mayberry max is 600y and New Holand is 700y. The Overlords of the league have hinted to get our DOPE for 1000 yards ready, which I assume means we may have a new range introduced for 2021.

Until the web site is the main communication, Facebook is almost a must.

Thanks man great advice.