• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lost another LEO in Colorado

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
Last night around 18:40 we lost an Adams County Deputy to a gunshot wound from some asshole that he was chasing down an ally who came out of hiding and fired several shots and one was fatal. All of this came about after some kind of fight or disturbance in Thornton out in a street.
Thornton is a suburb on the North side of Denver proper and kind of a known area for Hispanics.
It was all hands on deck and they shut off a large area as there was more than one perp involved that got away. The SO says they did capture the shooter and I hope that is correct but as of this AM had not found anyone else involved but that can change by the minute as they grill the one they have, and I hope they get them all.
The SO had a rather somber moment when they had a News release to confirm that they had in fact lost an Officer and asked anyone in the area to be sheltering in place and stay away from windows and doors and shut down all of the schools in the area this AM and asked for anyone in the area to report any suspicious activity but the best they could come up with as to who to be looking out for was either light skinned blacks or dark skinned Hispanics so I don't think they really knew who they were looking out for, but they were looking. Not a lot to go on.
I am glad I don't live in that area as all of these hundreds of Antsy Cops were going door to door after they had told everyone not to answer their doors and stay away from them; one way or the other and what do you do?
It was and still is a bad situation but the procession/parade where they took the body from Denver General to Brighton to the Coroner's office 25-30 miles away, was indeed impressive as it stretched for miles with citizens and LEOs not in the parade lining the streets. There were several hundred Cop cars with their lights on in that.

My buddy is also an Adams County Deputy Sheriff. The initial call was several men beating a woman in 'the street'.
My daughter goes to Thornton High and they closed the school, and others, due to proximity and two other suspects still at large.

I'll also emphasize the showing of blue by other depts. Was very large and extremely quick. They put surrounding counties on accident alert due to the mass migration of blue for support.

Jefe, it was impressive how they all showed out and to the point that they had to go on accident alert for the whole area as they lined up and down Spear Blvd. and other streets. It was a good showing. Hundreds of cars not on patrol.
I don't want to get anyone's panties in a wad and I do understand grieving and such, however, as an OLD Army Sgt. I do know not to let the troops all let their emotions over rule what their duties are and so what if you want to be in the parade, we still have to protect our side of the perimeter.
I do understand that they all wanted to get in there and do what they could and show their support and I admire that but to let things slide and not be out there doing their jobs is a gross failure on the command end to me. If you really want to help, go look for the bad guys around the area shut down as they may have escaped that zone, we really don't need you in a miles long parade.
It doesn't take that many cars to make a nice procession.
If I were a bad guy and had some bad thoughts in mind, that is when I would act on them while the good guy's attention is diverted and nobody around to act on the crime I just committed.
I have seen it before and am sure I will see it again.

Jefe, it was impressive how they all showed out and to the point that they had to go on accident alert for the whole area as they lined up and down Spear Blvd. and other streets. It was a good showing. Hundreds of cars not on patrol.
I don't want to get anyone's panties in a wad and I do understand grieving and such, however, as an OLD Army Sgt. I do know not to let the troops all let their emotions over rule what their duties are and so what if you want to be in the parade, we still have to protect our side of the perimeter.
I do understand that they all wanted to get in there and do what they could and show their support and I admire that but to let things slide and not be out there doing their jobs is a gross failure on the command end to me. If you really want to help, go look for the bad guys around the area shut down as they may have escaped that zone, we really don't need you in a miles long parade.
It doesn't take that many cars to make a nice procession.
If I were a bad guy and had some bad thoughts in mind, that is when I would act on them while the good guy's attention is diverted and nobody around to act on the crime I just committed.
I have seen it before and am sure I will see it again.

Fair enough. I had similar thoughts. I have no idea how they handle these situations personnel wise. So I just leave it to them.

I don't know for sure either, but when they went on Accident Alert it gave me a clue. No drunks or impaired drivers out at that hour?
Ray Charles could see it and what he didn't see Stevie Wonder did IMHO.

Prayers for his family.

FM, accident alert just means they dont reapond to small no- injury traffic accidents. It doesnt mean all the cops are gone. Also, from guys I know pretty well, most depts have guys cover or its guys who are off who go for the processionals.
Perhaps some our esteemed current and former LEOs can weigh in.

Watch your top knot fellas

Court records, though, said 22-year-old Dreion Martise Dearing was being held on suspicion of homicide of a peace officer and second-degree burglary in the county jail. It’s not clear if he has an attorney.