• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Lost bolt

Limbic

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Jackson, Ms
Say you were a knucklehead and misplaced you bolt. You didn't really like the bolt with the J-lock anyway but it the gun worked better with it than without.
smirk.gif

Anyway where would I look for a new bolt. PTG has them but I really wanted a ready to use replacement and not a bunch of parts that had to be assembled. Does such a thing even exist?

Re: Lost bolt

even with a remington bolt it would be a realy good idea to have the chamber checked and everything as their may be enough differance between them all to cause some trouble.

Personaly it sounds like a good reason to have the action blueprinted and fitted with a tighter PTG bolt , have the handel tig welded on and properly timed

Occassionaly used or even new bolts show up on Gunbroker and also other shooting forums. List a want to buy add on some of the boards you frequent. If you have a case originally fired in that particular rifle you can use it to get an idea of headspace. If new bolt closes real easy on the fired case then you should take it to a smith to see if it will close on a no go guage and if so take measures to perhaps set barrel back.

Edited to add...Checked GB and there are 4-5 different bolts listed for sale under Remington 700 bolt. Depends on if you want blued, stainless, 223, 243/308/Mag bolt face, long, short, depending on your preferences.

PTG offers a 1 piece bolt now for SA Std bolt face and LA mag bolt face. You need a knob, extractor kit, ejector kit. All said and done the SA is about $200 and the LA is about $220

I don't know if PTG is offering any other bolt faces yet.

If Dave can fit one of his extra bolts to your action and in so doing ensure that you have correct headspace...good. Otherwise it is a crap shoot that the headspace will be on. JMHO

Not sure if the SA one pice bolts are available yet. I ordered one when the LA bolts came out. Have not heard anything from them yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if the SA one pice bolts are available yet. I ordered one when the LA bolts came out. Have not heard anything from them yet. </div></div>

The SA and LA all bolt face bolts were in stock at midway about a month ago. Too lazy to go lookin right now but you might get lucky.