• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lost My GoPro

buds444

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2011
Utah
I lost my brand new gopro hero 2 over the weekend at sand mountain in utah. Had it attached to the front of the rzr and at some point the mount sheared off and gone be the camera. Anybody else have similar experiences with losing their babies?

- Brandon

Re: Lost My GoPro

How did the mount "shear" off? Did you roll the RZR or something? The mounts for those things are usually pretty tight. The only way I could see it "shearing" off is if it suffered an impact due to a collision or a rollover.

Either way, sorry to hear it.

2012-03-12201231.jpg

2012-03-12201039.jpg

No rollover. I only made it about 1/2 mile into the dunes before it was gone. Had a paracord tether tied to it but it slipped off the knob. It must have dug into the ground a bit but there was no "impact" or nasty collision or anything. Still quite unsure as to how exactly it went about. It's gone though.

- Brandon

I should preface this a little. My mount location I chose was a bit risky. It is low on the front and provides kind of a ground running view which looks amazing. I have done it several times and never had any issues, even having smashed into vertical dune faces. I am unsure why this time it failed. May have been a fault in the mount which I didn't see prior to mounting it, or just one of those freakish events.

It should also be noted that GoPro has been nothing but amazing with their customer service. They have made everything right and done much more than I expected. I love my gopros and having seen and compared the various systems feel it's the best setup for me.

- Brandon

Well I'm glad they did the right thing by you. Post some of the videos when you get it up and running again.

That sucks! I have used mine for all sorts of stuff but have never had a mount break. I could see one of the mounts coming off a helmet because the adhesive is old but the actual mount-arms are fairly beefy though they are not designed to take impacts per say. Good luck!

Beefy is right. They've done great for a long time now. Using them like I do was sure to cause heartache one day. However all the film i have and the memories I've been able to capture far outweigh the price of a replacement camera. Comes with the territory I guess.

Slapchop, I'll load some video of that perspective in the dunes later tonight.