• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lost on what to for my first precision rifle

DDFan86

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2018
Florida
So I’ll just preface by saying that I know this question has been asked a billion times, and I’m pretty sure I ready through every thread I could find. I’m still lost and am looking for some guidance.

So I have an Athlon Ares ETR, and I was planning on putting it on a PSA AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, but I’ve had a change of heart. I’ve decided to get my first bolt precision rifle.

So here is what I do know that I want:
  • 6.5 Creedmoor
  • Ares ETR is the optic
  • Up to 1000 yards
  • Budget is kind of tentative, I’d prefer to spend less than $1000 but if there is something with significant benefits for more I’d consider it
  • HARD cap at $2000, prefer to be nowhere near this
I’m not doing PRS, but I’d like to get into precision distance shooting. I have property that I can get out pretty much as far as I want, at least 1000 yards. That won’t be very often though, and my local range is only 100 but a new range for 300 should open in the next few months. I’d like to do a lot of practicing with the hope of one day trying to compete for fun.

From the research I’ve done, I’ve narrowed now it down to a few brands, but I do have some questions. Mainly looking at Tikka and Bergara, possibly Howa and savage too.

1. Are they any models of the savages that are universally considered good? A lot of hate for them, but there’s a shop near me that has a few available at great prices. (10 BA, stealth evolution, Ashbury)
  2. Is it easy to build your own custom? What’s the budget I should look at for building a halfway decent custom?
  3. Rank the Bergara HMR, HMR PRO, t3x CTR, and tac a1? What the the best value be?
  4. Should I consider Howa instead of tikka or Bergara? Bravo? HCR?
I know this is a wall of text and a bunch of questions. Hopefully this shows how truly lost I am. I greatly appreciate any help or guidance. Thanks for reading all this!

For $2000 you can get into a custom gun. You have the scope already so that’s a plus.

Stocks and actions are what’s expensive.

Find a stock your happy with, get a Stiller tac30 $850, trigger tech special $120?, $300 barrel, $300 chambered. $75 muzzle break.

Don’t buy a Savage. That will only cost you more money.

There was a very nice Ruger RPR for sale in the classified that would fit the bill nicely and only $1000.

Tikka.

Tac A1 gets you a decent chassis, very good two stage trigger, and you can eject a round while the safety is on safe. The negative is the 0 MOA rail means you'll need to get canted mount or rings or rail. Not a big hurdle, just another add on item to pay for.

Reactions: Stan73 and MJF
With a $1k budget for a rifle I would take a hard look at Tikkas, Bergeras, or an RPR. Pick the one that fits you the best with the features you value most.

Spend the rest on ammo, trigger time, and work on the fundamentals.

There is an open thread right now with a vendor clearing out trued Rem 700 actions fitted with Bartlien barrels for a $1000 I think was the price.
That would be a damn good start but the suggestions of the Tac A1 or an RPR would be an excellent choice to get you going as well.
I have played the factory rifle part swap game for years before I finally figured out it's money ahead and better spent if you just start with a custom action and do it the way you want to begin with.

Reactions: Stan73
Euro Optic has their Tikka T3s $100 off currently with a $75 rebate. Might be the absolute best deal for you. Sale ends 8.31, wish I was in a position to snag one.

For $2000 you can get into a custom gun. You have the scope already so that’s a plus.

Stocks and actions are what’s expensive.

Find a stock your happy with, get a Stiller tac30 $850, trigger tech special $120?, $300 barrel, $300 chambered. $75 muzzle break.

Thanks everyone for the replies. How easy is it to put parts like these together? I know a lot about assembling ARs, but haven’t tried bolt actions before. Is that setup going to be a huge step up for a HMR pro or tac a1?

+1 on this.

Another good one to look at is the Howa HCR. You can get it in 6.5 CM for just a touch over $1k.

How would the Howa compare to the Bergaras or tikkas? The HCR is a step up from the bravo, correct?

Tikka.

Tac A1 gets you a decent chassis, very good two stage trigger, and you can eject a round while the safety is on safe. The negative is the 0 MOA rail means you'll need to get canted mount or rings or rail. Not a big hurdle, just another add on item to pay for.

Seems like the tac a1 is a clear favorite. Surprised, thought most people would go ctr with a new stock/chassis.

I’ve seen that MPA and the PVA John Hancock, but the Hancock wait times are crazy. The MPA might be a good way to go if I decided to get something more towards PRS.

With a $1k budget for a rifle I would take a hard look at Tikkas, Bergeras, or an RPR. Pick the one that fits you the best with the features you value most.

Spend the rest on ammo, trigger time, and work on the fundamentals.

Pretty much looking at those brands except for the Ruger. Idk why I don’t like the bolt on every RPR I’ve tried.

There is an open thread right now with a vendor clearing out trued Rem 700 actions fitted with Bartlien barrels for a $1000 I think was the price.
That would be a damn good start but the suggestions of the Tac A1 or an RPR would be an excellent choice to get you going as well.
I have played the factory rifle part swap game for years before I finally figured out it's money ahead and better spent if you just start with a custom action and do it the way you want to begin with.

So if I went that way I just need a stock/chassis and trigger, right? Seems like a pretty good deal. My issue with Remington is that I’ve seen so many problems with there firearms. Are there actions that much better if they are trued?

I also realized I forgot about the Bergara LRP. Maybe that’s worth the money?

Sorry if this is crazy long, I tried to reply to all comments!

With a $2k budget I would build. If that's not your plan keep an eye on your local gun shops. One near me has had several safe queen RPR's roll thru lately.

Euro Optic has their Tikka T3s $100 off currently with a $75 rebate. Might be the absolute best deal for you. Sale ends 8.31, wish I was in a position to snag one.
I did see their rebates. Apparently if you get a tac a1, you can do the $75 rebate and free magazine rebate, which is pretty tempting.

With a $2k budget I would build. If that's not your plan keep an eye on your local gun shops. One near me has had several safe queen RPR's roll thru lately.

Well I’d really love to stay closer to $1k, I’m just saying there is no way I’m going above 2.

Is this the exact same model? Not an older edition or something? Surprised it is $200 cheaper than straight from MPA.

IMO and experience, at the lower end of the price spectrum a relatively small amount of extra investment gets you far more return. You buy a Savage or a Ruger, you'll get a functional firearm and not much more, and there will be very minimal resale value. Put in just a few hundred dollars more for a Tikka and you'll have a far better-functioning firearm with good to excellent resale value.

When I talk about functionality, I'm talking more about fit, feel, and reliability of the action components as opposed to accuracy. I've fired 1-hole 5-shot groups out of an RPR with factory ammo. Savages are reportedly capable of commendable accuracy. So, to me it comes back to how the rifle feels in operation, long-term reliability, and resale value.

I owned a Tikka T3X TAC A1 in 6.5CM as my first precision rifle. I would still have it if I hadn't had an opportunity to pick up a custom rifle at an excellent price. I sold the Tikka the first day I put it up and I had two offers. The Tikka was just as good as the custom for my use (PRS-style competition and general range play) and skill level - it just felt different. And I can tell you for an absolute fact that the TAC A1 (in the .264 calibers) will shoot 1000 yards just fine with an Ares ETR atop its flat rail.

My $.02. Good luck.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Mpa pmr Bergara pro Tikka Ctr would all be good rifles. I would get the 24” barrel if you go with the Tikka and do not use a suppressor.

CTR in a Bravo

Or

Origin
Bravo
Keystone button prefit
Trigger of choice
So I watched some videos with assmplying a barreled action and a trigger on a bravo and am amazed at how simple it is. The keystone button prefit is with the bighorn origin, right? Keystone looks like they are OOS at the moment.

Is origin/button better than the trued 700/Bartlein? Pretty close in price.

What kind of performance difference am I going to see with a build like this over a ctr or tac a1?

IMO and experience, at the lower end of the price spectrum a relatively small amount of extra investment gets you far more return. You buy a Savage or a Ruger, you'll get a functional firearm and not much more, and there will be very minimal resale value. Put in just a few hundred dollars more for a Tikka and you'll have a far better-functioning firearm with good to excellent resale value.

When I talk about functionality, I'm talking more about fit, feel, and reliability of the action components as opposed to accuracy. I've fired 1-hole 5-shot groups out of an RPR with factory ammo. Savages are reportedly capable of commendable accuracy. So, to me it comes back to how the rifle feels in operation, long-term reliability, and resale value.

I owned a Tikka T3X TAC A1 in 6.5CM as my first precision rifle. I would still have it if I hadn't had an opportunity to pick up a custom rifle at an excellent price. I sold the Tikka the first day I put it up and I had two offers. The Tikka was just as good as the custom for my use (PRS-style competition and general range play) and skill level - it just felt different. And I can tell you for an absolute fact that the TAC A1 (in the .264 calibers) will shoot 1000 yards just fine with an Ares ETR atop its flat rail.

My $.02. Good luck.

Yeah if I don’t do custom im definitely leaning toward tikka, and if not Bergara or Howa. Thank you for your input, great advice.

I was in a similar situation as you not long ago. I ended up buying a Howa factory configured rifle, and I'm not displeased, but in retrospect, if I had to do it over I would buy a Howa barreled action and an Oryx chassis.

i'd never even consider a 700 over an origin. im sure they shoot just fine. but the options the origin has as far as boltheads and available barrels. especially for a first rifle. a button barrel from keystone will shoot just fine

Reactions: Steel head
i'd never even consider a 700 over an origin. im sure they shoot just fine. but the options the origin has as far as boltheads and available barrels. especially for a first rifle. a button barrel from keystone will shoot just fine
So buy the barreled action, or the two separate?

I was in a similar situation as you not long ago. I ended up buying a Howa factory configured rifle, and I'm not displeased, but in retrospect, if I had to do it over I would buy a Howa barreled action and an Oryx chassis.
Go to brownells and order a Howa 1500 in 6.5cm with the KRG Bravo chassis. Done. Just mount your scope and shoot.

Seems like Howa is also popular. Anyone had experience with the tikkas and howa and can compare the two?

Well if john doesn't have any origins in stock and you need it now. Then separate. Or see when/if hell get any back in stock

A trued 700 likely doesn't have the primary extraction fixed. Depending on trigger timing, an origin is going to feel a lot nicer. A Bartlien will likely be a nicer tube than the Green Mountain from Keystone, but with the quality of chambering jobs coming from Keystone I doubt one will shoot better than the other. An origin is a solid start to upgrading later. You will have a ton of options for high end everything as well as a lot more options for prefit barrels than a trued 700.
If it was my money I would definitely do the Keystone barreled action over a Bartlien barreled 700. Once you shoot out the first barrel you'll have endless options for prefit barrels at every price point and quality level under the sun.

Reactions: bgavin
Well if john doesn't have any origins in stock and you need it now. Then separate. Or see when/if hell get any back in stock

I’ll try to give him a call Monday and see when it’d be available. Building seems simple if you already have a barreled action. Thanks for all of you help.

A trued 700 likely doesn't have the primary extraction fixed. Depending on trigger timing, an origin is going to feel a lot nicer. A Bartlien will likely be a nicer tube than the Green Mountain from Keystone, but with the quality of chambering jobs coming from Keystone I doubt one will shoot better than the other. An origin is a solid start to upgrading later. You will have a ton of options for high end everything as well as a lot more options for prefit barrels than a trued 700.
If it was my money I would definitely do the Keystone barreled action over a Bartlien barreled 700. Once you shoot out the first barrel you'll have endless options for prefit barrels at every price point and quality level under the sun.

Really sounds like the keystone with origin is the way to go here.

Origin with a keystone or savage prefit barrel in a bravo chassis or XLR element.

Absolutely won’t hold you back and leaves plenty of options on the table for the future.

I’ve got a Bergara LRP Elite in 6.5cm and absolutely love it. Their rifles are great. Tikkas are good too from what I hear.

I love my savage rifles, I like me remington action rifles better but my savage 6.5 creedmoor shoots just as good as everything else I have put together I strip all my guns down to the action and start over with custom barrels and stocks and what not, Bergara is the best out of box rifle in my opinion if you didn’t want to touch it the savage stealths aren’t bad the Tikka rifles I’ve been around are really good.

I did the homework for you with a precision rifle that has awesome accuracy and is designed with marksmanship in mind

Street price $1950

The SH Edition Rifle from APO has proven itself a winner

Thank you for the input lowlight! In the research I’ve done, I have seen the SH APO mentioned a few times. I just wasn’t planning on spending that much, but it seems like brining up the budget and buying the right thing the first time is the way to go. It’s definitely something I have to consider now. And I assume it’d be production legal. Thanks!

Origin with a keystone or savage prefit barrel in a bravo chassis or XLR element.

Absolutely won’t hold you back and leaves plenty of options on the table for the future.
I’d go with the Origin as well in a KRG Bravo.

2 more for origin. RIP original budget and being a smart spender ?‍♂️

I’ve got a Bergara LRP Elite in 6.5cm and absolutely love it. Their rifles are great. Tikkas are good too from what I hear.

I’ve seen the elite mentioned a few times but it’s been discontinued! Don’t know how the standard LRP stacks up.

I love my savage rifles, I like me remington action rifles better but my savage 6.5 creedmoor shoots just as good as everything else I have put together I strip all my guns down to the action and start over with custom barrels and stocks and what not, Bergara is the best out of box rifle in my opinion if you didn’t want to touch it the savage stealths aren’t bad the Tikka rifles I’ve been around are really good.
Think I’m gonna stay away from savage for now., but appreciate the input. Bergara HMR pro seems like I good idea if I choose to spend less $$

Reactions: Friday
How does the nucleus compare to the origin? Haven’t seen that mentioned yet but I thought it was a good action

How does the nucleus compare to the origin? Haven’t seen that mentioned yet but I thought it was a good action

I run a nucleus, I only mentioned the origin because of you budget.

I really like it and don’t regret going that direction.

If it has features you want look into it.

With custom actions it’s the features and build quality your really buying.

My nuke in no more accurate than my my old savage with the same exact barrel but is much smoother, has far better extraction and is better built along with easier bolt head swaps.

I'm actually running an origin with a PVA barrel and its hammer in a MPA chassis
20190729_130131.jpg

It was also a hammer in a krg bravo 20181229_154501.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DDFan86
I run a nucleus, I only mentioned the origin because of you budget.

I really like it and don’t regret going that direction.

If it has features you want look into it.

With custom actions it’s the features and build quality your really buying.

My nuke in no more accurate than my my old savage with the same exact barrel but is much smoother, has far better extraction and is better built along with easier bolt head swaps.

I just mention it because I saw one new on the exchange for $900 so I didn’t know if it’s the better choice over the origin.

A good friend has one, I’ve shot it multiple times and I have been very impressed. Even asked myself, why go custom when this shoots so good, then I remembered I’m vain. In all seriousness, it’s a solid option for the money. I think the stock is a small issue. Go shoulder one at sportsman’s or cabelas. I would leave it alone until it’s shot out then if you decide to rebarrel it than mod it at that point. .02

Reactions: 260284 and DDFan86
I would tell you to save your money and get one of the lower price options.
Ammunition is expensive and if you’re serious about long range shooting you would be better served having a lot of ammo and maybe even consider taking a training course. That would actually make YOU a better shooter.

Tikka, Howa, Bergara are all great choices. Can’t go wrong here. I have had Tikkas and currently have two Howas. Tikka has more refinement, but the Howa is probably the better value. (My opinion) Brownells usually has some sales on Howa barreled actions.

I would get what ever has the lowest price at the moment. Then after some actual experience you can decide to change or upgrade based on your needs.

Hard to beat a Tikka or Howa in a KRG Bravo for the $. Pretty sure Howa does a factory bravo gun.

If I was pushing the top end of your budget I’d do a SH APO or build.

Last edited:
Hard to beat a Tikka or Howa in a KRG Bravo for the $. Pretty sure Howa does a factory bravo fun.

If I was pushing the top end of your budget I’d do a SH APO or build.

Yes, HOWA does factory KRG Bravo rifles along with selling seperate barreled actions via Brownells.

I think HOWA is the best value before stepping up into something custom. Great service and all mine have been easily sub-moa (which is guaranteed).

Reactions: Old_Longhair
I own a Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm on my second barrel. It's been AMAZINGLY accurate. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a CTR or T3 and drop in a Timney 2-stage trigger and change it over to a different stock or chassis.

In the $2k price point the PVA John Hancock rifle or the Sniper's Hide APO would be my first 2 choices for factory sticks.

You could certainly buy a trued and blueprinted R700 action from Northland Shooters Supply, pick your barrel, stock, trigger, and have a starter custom rifle for around same price point. It's all about what YOU want and depends on how picky you are... My only suggestion is to buy a system that is extensible. You may not want to compete now, however if you decide to shoot a match in the future you don't want to be limited.

For around or under $1000 Tikka if you are creeping up in price above that seriously think about a nice action with a swapable bolt head (nucleus bighorn or whatever your preference) that way for a few hundred down the road you could do a trainer round like 223 or blackout when you have 300 or less yards to work with most of the time. Krg bravo is a good base chassis to achieve a good prefit and such and action under 2k. Also you can try saum or whatever magnum if you want later for longer ranges if you have it available. I have a similar set up as one of my rifles that was about $1700.

I would tell you to save your money and get one of the lower price options.
Ammunition is expensive and if you’re serious about long range shooting you would be better served having a lot of ammo and maybe even consider taking a training course. That would actually make YOU a better shooter.

Tikka, Howa, Bergara are all great choices. Can’t go wrong here. I have had Tikkas and currently have two Howas. Tikka has more refinement, but the Howa is probably the better value. (My opinion) Brownells usually has some sales on Howa barreled actions.

I would get what ever has the lowest price at the moment. Then after some actual experience you can decide to change or upgrade based on your needs.

After doing some thinking about what you have said, I agree with you. I think I am going to table the origin build until my next prs rifle if i get into it. For now, I am going to get either a ctr, HMR pro, or bravo. Only trouble I’m having is deciding which one.

Yes, HOWA does factory KRG Bravo rifles along with selling seperate barreled actions via Brownells.

I think HOWA is the best value before stepping up into something custom. Great service and all mine have been easily sub-moa (which is guaranteed).

It sounds like most people think howa is a better value than tikka, but tikka is a little better performance.

I can get a CTR new for around $825, or a howa bravo for $1025. I can add the krg bravo in green (like the color better) for a $370. Is the tikka worth the extra ~$150? Never seen a howa in person before.

All that said, a local seller has a new HMR pro for $1100. So everything is pretty much the same price. What’s going to have the best performance and quality
——————————————————————-
TL;DR:

Similar prices, best quality?:
  • Ctr in bravo
  • Howa bravo
  • HMR Pro
Thanks!

After doing some thinking about what you have said, I agree with you. I think I am going to table the origin build until my next prs rifle if i get into it. For now, I am going to get either a ctr, HMR pro, or bravo. Only trouble I’m having is deciding which one.

It sounds like most people think howa is a better value than tikka, but tikka is a little better performance.

I can get a CTR new for around $825, or a howa bravo for $1025. I can add the krg bravo in green (like the color better) for a $370. Is the tikka worth the extra ~$150? Never seen a howa in person before.

All that said, a local seller has a new HMR pro for $1100. So everything is pretty much the same price. What’s going to have the best performance and quality
——————————————————————-
TL;DR:

Similar prices, best quality?:
  • Ctr in bravo
  • Howa bravo
  • HMR Pro
Thanks!
ctr in bravo every day of the week in my book

Given those prices I would do Tikka too. The Howa at a $1000 loses its value too much. I put my “Howa Bravo” together in the $700 range. It seems Brownells raised their barreled action prices since the time I bought mine.