• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lot testing vs center x

fvalmostthere

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Just ordered up a t1x and obviously no ammo anywhere. Is it worth it to wait for backordered box’s of 50 of center x and sk everything to see what shoots and then most likely have to wait again for backordered whatever shoots best. Or just order up a bunch of center x and run it. Don’t really plan on competing but using it for training so want something consistent.

Either order a bunch or send it to Lapua to do lot testing for $50. Then buy 5000 rounds of the best shooting.
IF Lapua actually has any large lots of ammo, IMO follow IamJoHo's advise. Hard to find Any ammo and if you do find some the chances of ever finding a matching lot is slim. If this were one year ago I would say order a dozen test boxes of SK Standard or whatever and then get a case or two of the best in your specific gun. Unfortunately this is no longer possible.

Just my .02....

I'm pretty sure they do. Haven't heard anyone saying that have been turned away by the testing center. Actually I need to get scheduled. I'm lucky and its just 15 minutes up the road.

Lapua has usually around 5+ cases for all the ammo they test. When I tested mine they had 28,000 rounds of each lot that I wanted. Of course I only ended up getting 2 cases of each... wasn't going to go with 55000 rounds :) can't afford that...

Well thanks for the help everyone but I guess I have time, cabelas cancelled my order...

I have been shooting Center X since it came out and for many years there really wasn’t any good reason to lot test it, it was so very consistent lot to lot. As of the last 3ish years it seems that things have changed, I am seeing more flyers from some lots in some rifles than I ever have. So lot testing is more relevant with CX. If you have the $ to buy in large quantity sending your rifle to the test facility right now makes more sense than ever.

But before you do make absolutely sure your rifle is sorted out accuracy wise, no issues that would prevent you maximizing your investment like poor bedding, accuracy issues with the barrel like a bad chamber, crown, or bore, trigger tune and timing, firing pin assembly not binding or inconsistency, and so on. I think this is a very important consideration that has to be taken into account with a factory built rifle that has not been tuned before you spend over double the cost of the rifle in a one time ammo purchase.

At the time I got my T1X, our 50 yard target was down due to heavy winds the night before so I had to shoot this ammo testing at 25 yards and haven't redone it at 50 yet but I have shot it enough at 50 to expect the results of ammo testing to turn out fairly close to the same. Such as Eley Team was still shooting the best for me @ 50 in the mid .2's.

You can gander at this. The Lapua didn't seem to shoot better out of the T1X for me.

49927992172_0527666af7_k.jpg

49927170173_c6e87ac02c_k.jpg

As noted elsewhere, they want you to have 1000 rounds through it before you send it. That did help me manage my expectations when I sent it.

At the time I got my T1X, our 50 yard target was down due to heavy winds the night before so I had to shoot this ammo testing at 25 yards and haven't redone it at 50 yet but I have shot it enough at 50 to expect the results of ammo testing to turn out fairly close to the same. Such as Eley Team was still shooting the best for me @ 50 in the mid .2's.

You can gander at this. The Lapua didn't seem to shoot better out of the T1X for me.

49927992172_0527666af7_k.jpg

49927170173_c6e87ac02c_k.jpg

TexasRFN, I like that target. Would you by chance have a PDF that you could share with me?

Thank you,
Gjmen22

TexasRFN, I like that target. Would you by chance have a PDF that you could share with me?

Thank you,
Gjmen22

Yes sir, its just one I created. If you will send me a PM with your email address in it, I will send it to you.

Also I will take the Texas Longhorn logo off for ya and can even put one of your choice on there or just leave off a logo completely.

Update have one on hold to pick up tomorrow.

it kind of sounds like you guys are saying buying a bunch of different brands is a waste because finding the same lot in that brand is impossible. So instead just buy a lot of one kind if I can find it and hope it shoots?

Another option. Buy a quality ammo. Buy a ATS tuner and send it. I'm currently looking at maybe going this route even though the vudoo is shooting centerx and midas into on ragged whole. Why not even tighter.

I went out yesterday in not the ideal conditions and shot Center X and the cheaper Eley Contact. In my T1X the Eley Contact shot a lot better at 50 yards than the center X did.

My routine has always been take every new gun and try as much different ammo I can in it. My wife and I both have identical Savage Mark II FV-SR's we bought from the same place on the same day with consecutive serial numbers and they don't have the same preference for ammo. They both shoot both of the ammos well but each likes a different one a little bit better than the other one.

I am just saying based off of my T1X, I won't be shooting Center X in it because its shooting several other ammo's better so why shoot the Center X in it.

Eley Tennex is supposed to be "cream of the crop" and in all the guns I have tested it in so far, none have come close to it being the preferred ammo.

Even if I tried several different lots of Center X, its not likely at all, in my opinion, to ever outshoot the Eley in my T1X.

That Tikka is most likely going to shoot most everything pretty good but it sounds like to me you are trying to lock it into a Lapua product and that may be or may not be the best shooting ammo for it. If it were me, and I am no expert like a lot of the guys on here, I'd get my hands on as many different brands as I could and buckle it down to at least the top 3 or 4 it has shown a preference for and then worry about lot testing.

I know the problem is getting your hands on that ammo right now. I am fortunate enough to have between 30 to 4 brands to try when I buy something new. To me its a lot of the fun, performing ammo test and usually the first thing I do with a new gun.

Good luck, your gonna like that Tikka.

I’m new to the rimfire game and hadn’t heard of eley but I see it a lot in the online stores with the lapua stuff. I’m not lapua biased I’m just new. In the YouTube videos I have watched it seems like a lot of people have good luck with it so figured o would start there.

I guess my question is if I somehow get my hands on a box of 50 from 5 different brands. And I shoot and find out my gun likes brand a, but the brand A I shot was lot number 1 from that company and when I order that same brand in bulk and it shows up and says lot 2, is what I did useless?

Reactions: texasrimfirenut
No, not at all. There are people on here that know more than I do but although I might find one lot shoots a hair better than a different lot, they are still great shooters. And again its usually just a hair better or worse. I've never experienced a brand that shoots great out of a rifle to shoot poorly with a different lot of the same ammo.

People that get really into lot numbers are precision shooters trying to wring every bit of accuracy out that they can. In the world of benchrest that 100th of an inch may put you in the money whereas without it it may not.

Good ammo such as Lapua, Eley, RWS and I am sure a number of others wouldn't have good ammunition and reps if it varied very much from lot to lot. It will vary for example one lot might shoot 1073 feet per second whereas another lot might shoot 1077 FPS. There are other factors as well but the point is, good manufactures will keep variation to a minimum. You will see variation within a single box of ammo. That is why you see a lot of folks testing velocity.

So no, in my opinion. If your rifle shoots Center-X well it will shoot the next lot well. It may shoot it just a smidge better or worse than the other lot but generally speaking you are not likely to see your groups go from in the .3's to .5's just by changing the lot number. I am sure it could happen but percentage wise, I am pretty confident, again as a general rule, that would be rare.

Now if I get a box of something and it really impresses me with how it grouped I will go back out there and buy a bunch of that same lot because I know it shoots really, really well. However, if I bought another lot of the same ammo, who knows it might have shot even a tad better than what I went back and grabbed.

Only way to know is to send your rifle in and go to that trouble for lot testing. And then again, if you sent it to Lapua you find out what Lapua ammo shoots best and that doesn't mean it will shoot the best lot better than it does several lots/types of Eley.

As a general rule, most all guns shoots the Lapua really well. Most all of mine do. In many of my guns the Lapua shoots better than the Eley. Just in my Tikka that isn't the case. Your Tikka may be different though. Again, this is why I always test many different types/brands of 22LR ammo each time I get a new rifle. I just never know.

There are some givens. If you choice is between a Lapua ammo or Winchester bulk, it's generally safe to go with the Lapua, lol. Lapua just have tighter tolerances in their ammo and that tightness cost more money.

So other guys will come along that know better than I do. I am just giving you what I have experienced over the years.

So the pic below shows a specific type of Eley with its lot numbers and velocity. As you will see there is variation between the lots. Maybe this will help you see what I am talking about better.

Lastly, from my experience with my tikka and from what I heard from several others ... that Tikka will shoot a lot of different ammo well.

Lot Difference.JPG

Took my Vudoo to Capstone Mesa testing center today. They had 40,000 rounds of each of the 10 test lots of CX.

Reactions: STex