• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lot testing

nesikabay

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2006
Nocona Texas
I have seen a lot of shooters talking about ammo that shoots good. Then cry when they get a new order in and it wont shoot like the ammo they have last order. Am I the only person that wont buy ammo without lot testing it

I haven't cried, I just live with the fact that it doesn't shoot good. A lot of new shooters aren't ready to plop down $1000 on case(s) of ammo, so they don't bother lot testing.

After doing lot testing, and spending $1500 on ammo, I am happy, but it is a pretty big $ commitment. Most of the local shooters in my matches just buy 1 brick at a time for $55-110 and hope for the best. End up wasting the first 50-100 rounds rezeroing, and redoping, but that's life when you don't have $1500 saved up for ammo.

I have tried lot testing but I did not find any lot better than the other and they were all similar quality.
I am intending to try again soon. Probably try ing to get some other club members involved in it too.

Probably SK Plus, Match, LRM or Lapua like Pistol King, Center X and Biathlon.
Depending on availability. Ensuring there is something to buy after testing is hard.

The point is you don't have to test 1500 $ a case ammo. I have lot tested SK Pistol and SK long range. Some lots shoot great others suck.. Why not shoot ammo and test it before you buy a brick or 2. I don't get why shooters keep buying the same 22 ammo without seeing if it will shoot

Ignorance or insanity, N.
Either they haven't learned enough yet,
or,
they keep repeating a behavior that they already know doesn't work, still expecting different results. ;)

N, if you get the opportunity, grab y'er favorite rig and a box or two of ammo,
see what you can do with decent rimfire at 200 yards for 50 shots.
The more results posted the better the information available.
Besides, with the pics of range and setup,
it makes for great rifle pron. :D

I prefer the best grouping ammo with the smallest SD when chrono'd. Thankfully my locally gun store carries a good selection of match ammo and typically, not always, has more than one lot. I buy a couple boxes of each and then pick the best one. He will then sell me a case of that one.