• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lot to lot powder variation

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Forgive the stupidity of this question, or the simplicity.

I've been trying to hunt down an 8lb jug of varget for like 8 months. I've given up.

I can find 1 pounders all over the place.

So a hypothetical.

Let's say I'm shooting a 6br or anything that uses varget, and it's shooting really well at 2850fps with the particular lot of powder I have now. Then I get a different lot of powder that isn't shooting quite the same.

Would I just get a crono out, and find the charge that gets me 2850fps and all will be well, or is there more to it?

I found really good loads for my 6br, 223 rem, and 308 all with varget and I wasent even really trying. I'm semi new to reloading, but the 3 lb of varget I have now is by far the best powder I've tried in all 3 of those calibers.

Mix all the Varget 1 pounders , it's then one "lot" . If you have enough to start you could be shooting that lot the entire life of that 6BR barrel .

I'm going to order 5 or 8, 1 pound containers from powder valley. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will all be the same lot. If not, I'll mix them.

Reactions: hellzna
    while I have zero chance to tell you if any stores around you have any for sale or not there has been varget online for sale you just need look for it , finding more of a particular lot might be pushing your luck then again who knows you might get lucky . just personal I would not mix lots of the same powder so far we have been able to use all the powder down to 4.3 grains on a 1lber so we have not had the need not to mention we travel to get powder up to 4 states away if need be also we use family in other states to find if any is around them or Id find another powder that could be used to replace what I might prefer until it can be found . best of luck to finding either what you want or something else . ps https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon-varget/ has it but to me they can keep it at $55 per lb + shipping and hazmat .
    https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/hodgdon-varget/ also has it

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    I'm going to order 5 or 8, 1 pound containers from powder valley. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will all be the same lot. If not, I'll mix them.
    Most retailers are decent about trying to give you all the same lot #'s if they have the inventory to do so.

As an added precaution, use the "notes" or "special instructions" function of the order process... Add a note that you would like matching lot #'s if inventory allows it. Or have them call you if they don't have enough of one lot to fill your order.

Mike

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    Most retailers are decent about trying to give you all the same lot #'s if they have the inventory to do so.

As an added precaution, use the "notes" or "special instructions" function of the order process... Add a note that you would like matching lot #'s if inventory allows it. Or have them call you if they don't have enough of one lot to fill your order.

Mike
    Good call Mike! I will do that. Powder valley has always been good to me. I'll ask them.

Reactions: OkieMike