• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lothar Walther AR-15 barrels

paraman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2003
Boise , Idaho
Anyone running one ? I have owned a few of the Savage barrels and was very impressed with the fit and finish but was wondering if anyone was running one of their pre-fit AR barrels .

Re: Lothar Walther AR-15 barrels

I have one on a 16inch gun of mine and it shoots very well. Also both of my OBR's have LW barrels and all 3 will shoot under a 1MOA.

I have a couple LW barrels. One on an AR-15 16", one on an AR-10T (factory Armalite LW barrel from several years ago...I assume it was a "drop in" but Armalite could have worked their magic on it...not sure) and new one on the way for a 16" AR-10 carbine.

They are excellent barrels. Accurate, excellent fit/finish, and tough as nails!! Be cautious though...if you are planning on buying anything other than a completed, ready to install barrel and you select LW-50 steel, some smiths don't like to work on the LW-50 barrels because they can wreak havoc on machinery compared to your average gun barrel SS (416, etc.). If done properly, there is no reason that work can't be done...just that some folks don't want to do it.

I have a RRA upper in 6.5 Grendel on the way, gunbroker had a couple available last I checked, can't wait to get mine

If you do a google search, you can go directly to the LW website, or pick up the phone and call them for details.

My LaRue rifles shoot fantastic and they use LW barrels in their builds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think ScottMilk9 here on the hide does LW barrels. Try here:www.Specializeddynamics.com
</div></div>

I had one of Scott's uppers with a LW barrel. It was an easy MOA barrel with Benchmark and 55 grain HP Sierras.
Scott's using a lot of Black Hole Weaponry barrels now, and I'm not sure if the LW's are still an option from him.

What powder do you use in that 16" gun? I remember reading the projectiles weighing around a ton.

I have a Lothar Walther 20" 1-8" twist .223 Wylde chamber that was factory from Sun Devil MFG. That thing is amazing. Easy 1/2 MOA at 100 yards, and I have shot a couple .2" 5 shots at 100 yards.

It likes 52 grain black hills, and some 62 grain Berger match varmints on my reloads.

They can be had for cheap at Coleman Tyler or Sun Devil.

i have a 20" wylde chamber poly 3 grove awesome cant say enough about it. ill be buying another soon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Lothar Walther actually sells the barrels direct for a bit less than either Sun Devil or Coleman Tyler .

http://www.lothar-walther.de/473.php </div></div>

+1 on this. The LW barrels I have purchased came directly from LW (except for the one that came from the factory on my AR-10T).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Lothar Walther actually sells the barrels direct for a bit less than either Sun Devil or Coleman Tyler .

http://www.lothar-walther.de/473.php</div></div>

Good call.

Is Kreger using Lothar Walther barrel blanks? The Kreager on my AR has a serial number that starts with LW?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Kreger using Lothar Walther barrel blanks? The Kreager on my AR has a serial number that starts with LW? </div></div>

To the best of my knowledge Kreiger uses his own barrel blanks.

I believe that Larue uses LW barrels... and their OBR's are known to be very accurate.

+ 1 On LW being pretty awesome. I have a few and all have been problem free and accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jhick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a RRA upper in 6.5 Grendel on the way, gunbroker had a couple available last I checked, can't wait to get mine </div></div>

RRA just supplies the upper receiver. I think a company named SAOUD assembles those(gunbroker) 6.5 grendels.

How do they stand up to rapid fire such as carbine setup?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do they stand up to rapid fire such as carbine setup? </div></div>

I have done quick shooting drills with mine with no issues and I have also done a demo with Federal Agents and they put over 500 rounds through my gun in a day so they will handle it just fine.

At match I shot in last year, i fired over 225 rds through my lw barrel in less than 15 minutes with no obvious damage.

Anyone know how well the LW50 steel handles corrosive ammo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know how well the LW50 steel handles corrosive ammo? </div></div>

I shoot Wolf through mine on occasion with no issues with that either.

Over 7000 rounds on mine and accuracy is just barely starting to deteriorate, but still sub MOA. Mine was a little finicky on loads but once I found it accuracy was around 3/8 MOA for about 6000 rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SakoTRG FAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Kreger using Lothar Walther barrel blanks? The Kreager on my AR has a serial number that starts with LW? </div></div>

To the best of my knowledge Kreiger uses his own barrel blanks. </div></div>

Krieger makes the best barrels in the country and is larger than Lothar Wather.
Where did you get a AR with a Krieger barrel on it?
There are Krieger cut rifled barrels and Krieger Criterion button rifled barrels, they only make barrel blanks and barrels, Krieger does not build ARs.

I have one of the 6.5 Grendal barrels and love it..I would highly recommend them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SakoTRG FAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Kreger using Lothar Walther barrel blanks? The Kreager on my AR has a serial number that starts with LW? </div></div>

To the best of my knowledge Kreiger uses his own barrel blanks. </div></div>

Krieger makes the best barrels in the country and is larger than Lothar Wather.
Where did you get a AR with a Krieger barrel on it?
There are Krieger cut rifled barrels and Krieger Criterion button rifled barrels, they only make barrel blanks and barrels, Krieger does not build ARs. </div></div>

I bought a pre-fit AR barrel directly from kreiger for a 20" Ar-15 i have with a spikes tactical billet upper?lower. There is a buy on gunbroker all the time selling them if you don't want to wait. I believe his name is little crow gun works. I've done budiness with him in the past and he's a good guy!!!