• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lothar Walther Barrels? Can I do any better?

SonicBoom

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Southfield, MI, USA
I have the opportunity to purchase an AR10 Lothar Walther barrel straight from the factory with any length, threading, or contour that I want (also comes with barrel extension) all for $360. The barrel is made from their LW-50 stainless steel.

My question, is there a better value that I'll be able to find anywhere on the market and what is the general opinion of Lothar Walther barrels? Thanks in advance for your input...

Re: Lothar Walther Barrels? Can I do any better?

I have had excellent results with LW barrels in the past, including on AR-10s. I just sold a complete AR-10T(LW) upper with a 24" poly barrel last month that I never fired and I have another that was easily a sub-MOA shooter right out of the box.

They are as good as any other top quality barrel available on the market today including Rock, Bartlien, Shilen, Schneider, etc.

Lothar makes great barrels. Krieger, Broughton, and Rock Creek are "considered" top tier over the Lothar, but not sure you will notice the difference on an AR10

I've been using LW50 in my SPR builds for a while now. If chambered correctly, they are great barrels. I've been able to some of them to print sub- 1/2 MOA at 100 yards in three shot groups. A good deal of shops don't like to use LW50 because it is a bit different in machining, but the durability enhancement of LW50 is worth the effort.

There are a number of other barrel makers out there, but the cost goes up. Outside of LW, I'm partial to Pac-Nor and Lilja, but the cost goes up a bit with the Lilja.

A lot of 'smiths would rather not do any machining on LW-50 Stainless barrels; so get as much of it done as possible by L-W themselves, if you're looking at replacing a factory barrel with one that at least mounts up the same way. For my Savage configured custom barrels, L-W was the sole provider of my pair of swap-fit barrels. I think L-W is definitely an outstandingly excellent way to go.

Greg

<span style="font-style: italic">A lot of 'smiths would rather not do any machining on LW-50 Stainless barrels</span>
Well if your lathe has any wear in it, the LW50 will tell you about it.
they are excellent barrels and the company is excellent to deal with, I had Frank Walther round for a visit a couple of weeks ago to discuss my barrel requirements, the guys and gals at LW are great to deal with and make an excellent product.

yes the barrels are a little more difficult to machine than your average 416, ( I am actualy in the middle of chambering & throating a 6.5x47 on a LW right now and just stopped for a cuppa) but with the right speeds, proper cutting lubricant and sharp tooling there are no dramas.

I have not had a single rough or inaccurate barrel from LW in over 5 years of using thier barrels.
so its thumbs up from me for LW,.
rgds Pete

It is my understanding that my AI AE has a Lothar Walther. The two most accurate rifles I have owned are this AE and an AICS R700 with a Rock barrel built by APA (Patriot Arms). So, I would say Lothar is good to go based on my experience with it.

Just my .02

Justin

LW is good, but I believe Shilen may have one up on them for your application. Just my opinion, thats all...

Have a good amount of experience with LW barrels in 223 and I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of the deal you have.

Like it was said before there are other who are considered top tier over LW but I would put my LW up with them, mine shoots that well. Also beciase the steel is harder they last a little longer too.

I had the barrel shortened on my AR10T today.It has a L-W barrel. The riflesmith told me it was a tight barrel.He could not insert a 0.2992" pilot in the muzzle end of the barrel.

I don't know if thats a good or bad thing.

I do know it shot well before any changes were made.

van

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magnumruger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LW is good, but I believe Shilen may have one up on them for your application. Just my opinion, thats all... </div></div>

In what way would you consider Shilen to be any better if you don't mind my asking. Reason I ask is because I was considering them along with Lothar Walther for another rifle project I was working on.

Supposedly LW barrel steel is not resulphurized during manufacturing, making it very difficult to machine, but making it very hard and long-lasting.