• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lothar walther barrels???

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I am thinking about trading for a lothar walther barrel. A good friend of mine told me that these barrels are junk! He said they are hammer forged and that i dont want one. I always thought they were a premier barrel maker? Whats the scoop?? Thanks lee

Re: Lothar walther barrels???

Got one on my 308. About 3100 rounds down the pipe and it shoots bugholes.

Had "something" going on at about 1500 rounds -- you could feel something rough about 8 inches into the barrel as you ran a patch through. Ran some final finish thorugh it and we were good to go (again).

Shot the below group at about 1k rounds on the barrel.
DSCN0769.jpg

Good luck.

There are always good and a few bad from every manufacturer. Such is life. Lothar Walther actually is the maker of some fine barrel "names" we all know and love, the names we know massage them a little but made by LW.

They are button rifled. Not Hammer Forged.
I use maybe 80-90% + LW barrels. Only use the lapped, select match grade. ( they have standard production hunting grade too) and they shoot, and shoot and shoot and shoot.. accurate accurate accurate..

They are harder to chamber and thread than the 416 barrels typicaly used by many.

the company has great service, the folks working there and running the place are great, they aim to please, do a good job and produce quality barrels.

and the young lady i deal with there is an absolute honey.. !!

Pete

Nope, no teasing. just a real nice, real pleasant young lady, and if i wasn't married, I'd be movin my workshop a darn site nearer the barrel factory, and its just as well its as far away as it is.. otherwise i'd probably get my self in the shit.

but now we are of subject,. and its late,, at least it is here,, 03.00ish and i'm still working !!

The barrels are top quality..top shooting.

To be honest, I sleep better at night when ive fitted a LW barrel and have a range test day the next day than I do with any other barrel.

and to be more honest, pic any of the Top barrel makers and cou can't go wrong,, and LW deserves to be up there in that list..

Pete

Reactions: GhostFace

I installed a Lothar Walther pre-fit barrel on a Savage some years ago . It broke in easier than my Schneider barrel on my GAP and shot every bit as accurately . You could do far worse than a L-W .

i too have had excellent results from Lothar Walther barrels

only ones i have used are stainless lw-50 match grade

in .308 , both for a savage rifle, and for a ar-15 rifle

both shoot bug holes

the LW for the savage, i sold the rifle/barrel to my best friend; he had it cut down from 24" to 18.5" threaded for a suppressor ; before he had it done, it shot lights out all day long

and after the work , it still shoots lights out , maybe even a tad more accurate (could be the recoil reduction of the suppressor helping too . . ?)

top quality , highly recommend their LW-50 match barrels

I have one on my 0.308 WIN that shoots real great
And one with I believe a progressive twist on my0.338LM that shoots exceptionally good

I had another 308 with their barrel and all are good shooters meaning 0.5 moa at 100 meter

BTW
I had a shilen that out shot all of them including Scneider $ LW and if I could import anything from the states which is impossible then I would go back to them

I've used L-W barrels on many AR builds, and without fail every one of them was a 'shooter'. 1/2 MOA being the norm. I'm now using a few Rock Creek OEM button barrels I have lapped after production, and they've been shooting very well also.

Hammer forged? Sure.

Button rifled? That, too.

Polygonal? Yep.

L-W is simply the world's largest manufacturer of barrels, of all kinds, of all quality levels, to whatever specs the customer chooses, be they military or commercial rifle makers or custom gun builders. Their barrels are precisely to spec, whatever it is, ranging from about $20 per to about $700 per. Their key selling point is their ability to precisely guage and reproduce any barrel spec.

Most of you own more than one, but you don't realize it because they came on your factory rifles.

Only aftermarket brand I've ever paid real money for and the only brand I'd order for my next one.

Period.

Greg

I think that LW makes the best Chrome Moly barrels that money can buy, and yet cost less than some other brands.
The biggest thing is the stress relieving. These barrels are right on target when too hot to touch.

I have bought a few .224", .270", and .284" Lothar Walther barrels, but I have bought allot of the .257" Lothar Walther barrels.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=15610&title=RIFLE%20BARRELS

http://www.sporterexpress.com/index.php?cPath=90_6_23

http://www.lothar-walther.com/

I have been buying through Brownells.
That LW rep for the US down in FL or GA is impossible for me to deal with.

I purchased a LW pre fit barrel in .243, SS, 1 in 8 twist, for my Savage short action, couple of years ago. Upon receipt I bore scoped it and found no machinig, tool marks what so ever. Looked as though it had been lapped. Installed it, dropped in a B&C Medalist stock, mounted a Weaver T-36 scope on it. With handloads, ( Win. brass, Lapua 105gr., Fed. primers, and H10000) it would shoot pretty consistent 1 inch or less groups at 200 yards. Shot it in a F Class match, 600 yards, with the new smaller target and shot a 199, 197, 191( don't know what happened there) came in second place, lost by one point. Would definitely buy another.

I had this shot out .22-250 Ruger VT rebarreled in .308 Win, using a Lothar Walther SS Match bbl. It's actually my most accurate rifle. It averages 5 shots in < .25 MOA and regularly shoots some groups in .10-.15 MOA.
Ruger.jpg

Groupements307.jpg

Since then, I've added 2 more LW bbls : a .222 Rem and a .338 Win Mag.