• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lothar Walther CZ 455 results

Tcoddington

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2017
I ordered a 18" threaded barrel for the CZ 455 and it arrived today. I removed the factory barrel and installed the LW barrel torquing it to 38 inch/lbs. Next a quick cleaning and headed out into the very cold Michigan day and shot some groups. The range was 75 yards with light wind and I was shooting Lapua CenterX and Midas+. Both types of ammo exceeded my expectations, pic below is from the Midas + 5 shot group. Will review some other ammo when it warms up a bit. Nice work LW

Attachments

• lw.jpg
    lw.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 364
  • cz.jpg
    cz.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 422
  • 5shot.jpg
    5shot.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 413
Impressive! (Watching this as I’m thinking the same barrel soon....).
Just a FYI, I THINK (don't know for sure) they are doing a run and don't know if this will be a everyday item. I requested info about purchasing and later received an email they were in stock, this was last week.
Quality of the machining looks excellent, fit was tight in the action and it probably helped the barrel was frozen thanks to Michigan temps.

Just a FYI, I THINK (don't know for sure) they are doing a run and don't know if this will be a everyday item. I requested info about purchasing and later received an email they were in stock, this was last week.
Quality of the machining looks excellent, fit was tight in the action and it probably helped the barrel was frozen thanks to Michigan temps.

How consistently accurate is it? How many 5 shot groups did you shoot? Did you shoot a 6x5 and if so what was the aggregate? Did you.shoot it at 100yds?

I've tested a lot of CZ455.22lr and they all shot a group like that at once point during a range session. But only the top performers did it consistently group after group.

Interested in how consistently accurate it was.

All shots were done at 75 yards, because of snow at my farm. All groups with the Midas were extremely close to the pic, all basically one hole groups. The Center X was producing groups around a quarter inch center to center. I shot 4 groups with center X and 7 groups with Midas, all 5 shot groups. Once we warm up a bit, I will shoot a 6x5 with the Midas. The rifle which had okay accuracy with the factory barrel is now out shooting my annie 64 mpr. Needless to say, I am super happy with the barrel.

Reactions: WeeHooker
All shots were done at 75 yards, because of snow at my farm. All groups with the Midas were extremely close to the pic, all basically one hole groups. The Center X was producing groups around a quarter inch center to center. I shot 4 groups with center X and 7 groups with Midas, all 5 shot groups. Once we warm up a bit, I will shoot a 6x5 with the Midas. The rifle which had okay accuracy with the factory barrel is now out shooting my annie 64 mpr. Needless to say, I am super happy with the barrel.

What chamber did they cut in that barrel and what is the headspace set to in your gun??

I believe they use a proprietary match chamber and these barrels are not like the lilja, they are a drop in for the 455. Installed to their torque recommendation and used Lapua which they also suggested for best results. This was not a custom barrel ordered but one they now offer from their website.

They have two chambers listed, the Bentz and their own (unstated spec) “Match Chamber”, which one did you get on your barrel?

sidenote: hmmmm....could be a marketing thing with “Michigan Cryo” application to barrels....?

I believe it is the Match chamber, I talked to them sometime ago as they can be difficult not to catch voicemail. At that time it was suggested these cz barrels would use their match/proprietary chamber. The specs on their website don't say much as this was a 18" threaded 22 and mentions only exterior dimensions.

I believe it is the Match chamber, I talked to them sometime ago as they can be difficult not to catch voicemail. At that time it was suggested these cz barrels would use their match/proprietary chamber. The specs on their website don't say much as this was a 18" threaded 22 and mentions only exterior dimensions.

Bentz is what most of the drop ins are using...so you dont know what chamber you.got?

Also, you dont know your headspace? Did you measure your tenon length to the shoulder and your receiver face to bolt face recess and subtract the two to determine what your actual headspace is??

Again, when I talked to them about the chamber many months ago, they were going to use their proprietary match chamber. When I ordered it I was unable to reach them to discuss the chamber, but left comfortable because of talking to them previously.
I did not headspace the barrel, as there are no shims involved in the installation like the Lilja. I would recommend Lilja if you want to headspace the barrel. They stated their barrel did not need to be headspaced as it a drop in and torque to their specs.

The headspacing Lilja option is the ONE thing holding me back from getting the Lothar Walther. I‘m actually surprised more aftermarket barrel firms don’t set their kits up that way. You’d think it’d be pretty easy to do a shim type setup on the shank(s). (Or am I clueless in how that really works?).

Last edited:
The headspacing Lilja option is the ONE thing holding me back from getting the Lothar Walther. I‘m actually surprised more aftermarket barrel firms don’t set their kits up that way. You’d think it’d be pretty easy to do a shim type setup on the shank(s). (Or am I clueless in how that really works?).
I think the shims are pretty straight forward. I believe they will build a custom barrel that will be head spaced off your measurements but you are building a custom barrel. You can pick your chamber, length and contour but not for 300 bucks.

Reactions: kevad68
Shims be damned. If it shoots then it shoots. Great job and enjoy the journey. I have a LW 17hm2 barrel that shoots straight also. I just mounted it up and torqued it down. Shoots like they said it would. I see they are doing much better with their barrel marking now.

Again, when I talked to them about the chamber many months ago, they were going to use their proprietary match chamber. When I ordered it I was unable to reach them to discuss the chamber, but left comfortable because of talking to them previously.
I did not headspace the barrel, as there are no shims involved in the installation like the Lilja. I would recommend Lilja if you want to headspace the barrel. They stated their barrel did not need to be headspaced as it a drop in and torque to their specs.

You are missing my question. I didnt ask you if you headspaced it. I'm asking if you measured the headspace. Is that drop in headspacing in your action at say .048 or .043 or what. Wondering what they are doing. Or did you measure the tenon length from breach face to shoulder?

No I did not measure. I just treated it as drop in for the Cz 455. I believe my CZ precision trainer is 2 years old if that helps. I asked the same questions about shimming or measuring and they stated that it was not necessary and would work in all 455's. It was just meant to be a good barrel to throw in to reduce the length from 24 to 18, and I am amazed on how it shot. It shoots better than 2 expensive 22lr's sitting in the safe!

It's great you have a nice shooting rifle. I too bought a LW barrel for my 457 project but after receiving the barrel, them telling me it had a match chamber, no markings on the barrel at all AND with a round dropping all the way in, inspired little confidence in the barrel and I sent it back the next day without even mounting it. Maybe it would have shot great but I wasn't willing to take that chance, especially when the bullet doesn't engage the rifling and the barrel is not marked at all. And so my journey continues.

Nice shooting for sure, especially at 75 yards. To be honest though, I'd have to see a lot more groups than just that one to convince me yours really shoots that good all the time.

Here is an example. How misleading would it be for me to only show the 1/8" group? I'm just trying to help.

1579669623858.png

I too bought kne very recently. I was very fortunate that my factory barrel shot extremely well. The bore was the smoothest thing I had ever seen. I did not measure headspace just bolted it up and went. My groups were not like that however. I shot several 3 shot groups like that at 50 and several dime sized groups at 50. It was very very consistent accross several different ammos. But my 22in bartlein just doesn't move in the bags and made tracking and grouping much easier. But that's with bags, not a bipod or rest.

Not enough ammo to finish, but Midwayusa has more coming. Again still cold and wind I think was effecting the last group center bottom. I will get more results up as soon as weather makes it enjoyable in Michigan.
centerx.jpg

Reactions: reubenski
Also Switched scope to Vortex PST2 5-25. Shooting prone with bipod and rear bag in the snow.

You should've shot one more group and submitted to the 6x5 that @jbell runs. Those are some of the better groups I've seen at 100. My Vudoo shoots just a little larger than that but the lot tested SK usually throws a flyer. And that's indoors! Ha!
I wish I could, had one round left after shooting these groups and putting the new scope on the rifle. However, midwayusa had laupa midas+ in stock and I will sitting well with Lapua soon. I will try the 6x5 once the new ammo comes in and slightly warm weather comes around.

Very good shooting. Does your bullet engrave on the rifling? Can you put a bullet in and then turn it upside down and it fall out?

Probably not Olympian accurate but not bad for a drop in.View attachment 7235463

Lolol. At 100yds?? In the snow and wind? ???

I'd believe it when I saw it with my own eyes. Take it how you want. But you my friend have just set world records with your drop in, Bentz chamber, dont know your headspace barrel. Play the lottery and go win every 100yd small bore match across the country.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised that a Lothar Walther barrel will shoot.
They make good barrels.
I have a savage prefit from them that is quite accurate.

Lolol. At 100yds?? In the snow and wind? ???

I'd believe it when I saw it with my own eyes. Take it how you want. But you my friend have just set world records with your drop in, Bentz chamber, dont know your headspace barrel. Play the lottery and go win every 100yd small bore match across the country.
You can come out to my farm anytime, PM me and Ill send you the address. It will get you off the keyboard!

You can come out to my farm anytime, PM me and Ill send you the address. It will get you off the keyboard!

Lol. I'm at the range right now. But seriously I look forward to seeing you at the Olympics those Anschutz hold nothing on you.. the 3 LW 455 barrels I've seen and shot must be duds cause they dont shoot anything like that

Lol. I'm at the range right now. But seriously I look forward to seeing you at the Olympics those Anschutz hold nothing on you.. the 3 LW 455 barrels I've seen and shot must be duds cause they dont shoot anything like that

Search around. I've tested more 22lr 455/457 barrels then you've seen

Invite is always there!

Screw the invite, the response I figured you would say! Have a good day at the range.

@Tcoddington I'd be interested to see what that next lot of Midas + shoots like. I had a CZ455 built by DJ Dillon and a buddy gave me a 500rd box of SK S+ to get started. I didn't know it at the time but that particular lot was phenomenal and I would never see something that would compare to that lot since. I also wish I hadn't sold that gun....?
Very good shooting. Does your bullet engrave on the rifling? Can you put a bullet in and then turn it upside down and it fall out?
Just tried, the bullet sticks in there pretty good.

Reactions: nakoa01
Screw the invite, the response I figured you would say! Have a good day at the range.

I dont need to drive to you to see your zoomed in targets of 100yd record setting, olympic groups prone in the snow on windy days. Those of us that have been doing this a long time with tons of barrels and lot after lot of top of the line ammo can see straight... Enjoy the farm

I dont need to drive to you to see your zoomed in targets of 100yd record setting, olympic groups prone in the snow on windy days. Those of us that have been doing this a long time with tons of barrels and lot after lot of top of the line ammo can see straight... Enjoy the farm
[/QUOTE
I am just on the Hide to share info and keeping things light. You win, you are the shooting guy!