• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lothar Walther Palma Match vs. Shilen Select Match - 308 Win

NamHunter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2014
I want to re-barrel my 22-250 to a 308Win to run 155gr SMK at about 2950 - 3000 ft/s.

I have tried to buy a cut barrel (Bartlein or Krieger) however the ONLY two viable choices currently available in the country are:
- Lothar Walter Palma Match (Stainless Steel LW50)
- Shilen Select Match (Stainless Steel 416)

Both have pretty much the same contours, are lapped and have a c. 1:13 twist. My smith knows how to work the harder LW 50 steel.

ACCURACY is my ultimate goal (as a minimum I would like to achieve sub 1/2 MOA)

Which one poses the bigger risk of being a "bad apple"?
What Barrel life can I expect?

The Shilen I had on my 300 wsm was freaky accurate. I've shot several 1/2" groups at 300 yards with it, and have shot a 2.68" group at 1,000 yards with it. But who knows, the Walther might be as accurate.

Have a select on my current 308 and it is very accurate. Have a little over 4000 rounds thru it and still drives them in there. Had a Shilen select match on another 308 with over 7000 on it and continued to shoot darn good.

Got a walthar super match prefit on a savage. Went with the lw50 to help resist erosion from hot 243s. Got 2000 rds on it and still hammers in the .2s. Shot a nice 3" group at 1107 the other day, granted it was only 2 shots but they were right on the bull. I did have a shilen select match prefit in 6.5 cm, it shot really well after being recrowned. I would say that barrel life with 308 will be similar with the lw getting alittle more . My shilen was kinda slow, 42.4 gr of h4350 under a 140 amax was only running 2775 in a 26".

I don't know about Walther but I had a Shilen Select Match that I got 8220 out of a 308.

Can't go wrong with either, Shilen isn't as "Gucci" as some of the big names thrown around here but they get the job done. Three of my partners use Shilens on their rifles and all three are damn good shooters. I have a LW on one of mine and it's a shooter too. Get whichever one you can get the fastest and or cheapest...

LW for the Win. Its a .308 but if you run those 155's hot and do it consistently that will cut down on barrel life so I would definitely go with the Lothar. My buddies LW barrel was very smooth and fast.

Cant go wrong with either. I have a LW on my 223 and it is spooky accurate. I am sure a Shilen would shoot just as good, so I would go for whatever is cheaper or available quicker. I recently got a Hart that is equal in quality to either one of them in 5 weeks.

I have a Shilen Select .260 Rem on my Bolt Gun and a Walther Lother on my SPR .223. Although both are complete different but both are shooters. I believe Accuracy International uses Lother Walther Barrel Blank for all of their Rifles from the AIAE to the AX/AW/AT line if this means anything to you. Get the one you can find.

Good Luck!

Cheers.

HOG.

Thanks for the advice- bought the LW. The shilen only arrives at the end of april. Can't wait for it to be fitted. Feeling like a kid waiting for xmas

I want to re-barrel my 22-250 to a 308Win to run 155gr SMK at about 2950 - 3000 ft/s.

I have tried to buy a cut barrel (Bartlein or Krieger) however the ONLY two viable choices currently available in the country are:
- Lothar Walter Palma Match (Stainless Steel LW50)
- Shilen Select Match (Stainless Steel 416)

Both have pretty much the same contours, are lapped and have a c. 1:13 twist. My smith knows how to work the harder LW 50 steel.

ACCURACY is my ultimate goal (as a minimum I would like to achieve sub 1/2 MOA)

Which one poses the bigger risk of being a "bad apple"?
What Barrel life can I expect?

What barrel life can you expect???? Give more specifics as to what you want/are looking for....

Number of rounds fired in the group?
Min. accuracy requirement?
How many rounds in between cleanings?
Type of bullets being used?
Type of powder being used?

To many variables in such a generalized question.

As an example if you say 10 shot groups and 1/2moa accuracy is your requirement than that starts to lead you down a path of getting that question answered.

or

Are you looking for 3/4moa groups and 5 shot groups?

What country are you in?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

In Namibia - hunting paradise North West of South Africa.

Bullets - probably Amax, Nosler Bt or SMK 150-155gr.
5 round groups at 1/2 inch I would be happy with.
Powder - South African manufactured Somchem Powder (unfortunately we don't get the USA or European powders here)

In Namibia - hunting paradise North West of South Africa.

Bullets - probably Amax, Nosler Bt or SMK 150-155gr.
5 round groups at 1/2 inch I would be happy with.
Powder - South African manufactured Somchem Powder (unfortunately we don't get the USA or European powders here)

Click on the link below:

Bullet Central Africa: World Class Benchrest Rifle and Firearm Supplies

They don't show our barrels as of yet but have orders placed and will be stocking/importing barrels into SA. If they don't have exactly what you want from my understanding you can order it thru them.

For 150-155gr. bullets......and 10 shot groups being your standard and 1/2moa your looking at around 4K+ rounds.

Button barrels about 3500 rounds.

Not just me saying blah, blah, blah either. With the amount of ammunition test barrels we make and feed back we get from ammunition makers, powder makers, bullet makers, gun factories that do testing etc...a cut rifled barrel last longer on average than a button barrel does. The button rifling process work hardens the bore. That's the main reason for the difference.

Cannot comment on your powder. Sorry! Yes I know you are very limited to just a few different types of powders that are available to you for all of your loading needs over there.

If you shoot heavier bullets like 175's on up you will reduce barrel life. The longer bearing surface of your bullets will impact barrel life. Just another variable besides the type of powder, cleaning etc.....

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels