• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lothar Walther pre fit Drop in 22lr barrel

chillywig

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2014
Charleston WV
I have Lothar Walther 22lr pre fit mated up to a Rimx action. So far accuracy has been meh. I have ~600 rounds of various SK though it and seen the same 5/8" plus 50 yard groups since I started. I questioned if the barrel was seated into the action correctly but using the Rimx supplied no go gauge it does not go. I compared the chambering indentions in the SK ammo to my Bergara B14R. The Bergara leaves about a 0.125" imprint on the bullet after chambering. The Lothar just starts to leave mark in the very beginning of the drive band. I pulled the barrel out of the action and pushed a round fully into the Lothar barrel with my thumb and see the same drive band just barley touching the rifling. Anyone have experience with the Lothars? Should I see more rifling engagement with a chambered round?

Its a poor pic but I tried...
Lother on left Bergara on right

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230415_231916_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230415_231916_Gallery.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 132
Try making bullet with a marker, blue red etc. you might be able to see chamber markings better. I have a lothar and will test mine today to let you know. I have test targets if yoy need them . I am getting in the . 300’s sometimes high .200’s with mine.

It's possible that rather than the amount of engraving on the bullet being responsible for unsatisfactory results on target, the SK ammo itself is the problem. At best it's entry-level match ammo and can't be relied on for consistent results.

@grauhanen My plan was to season the bore well with the SK before switching over to my "match" ammo center x since they use the same lube. I have been mopping out the carbon ring about every 150-200 rounds with C4, doing nothing else to the barrel. My concern is usually some the SKs shoot as well as or maybe even a touch better than center x in the bergara. The SK Biathlon has been very good on almost any gun I have tried.

Here is yesterdays target. SK Standard, Rifle, Semi, Biathlon and Long Range. I have used all these in other guns and see very similar choro data and typically better groups. I know every gun is different but had pretty high expectations

Attachments

• 20230416_160519_resized.jpg
    20230416_160519_resized.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
No experience with Lothar, but my B14-R engraves same as yours.

@scotty2hotty what ammo are you using?
I have used center x, midas plus. sk std plus I looked at my Lothar Walther Targets and I am getting similar to yours. I only get into the .200 's once mostly everything else was high .300's or above. I know some guys says LW are great, but I have a Muller and Shilen Ratchet and these beat the LW hands down. They are longer barrels and the LW is on 20", I think.

Wind was pretty light. Mostly it was calm. When it did puff up it was from behind both left and right. Here in WV we never have steady wind. Pretty common to see wing flags 25 yards apart blowing in different directions

Thanks.

I understand the high expectations/hopes thing but I'd say give it some time. Maybe I'm slow but it would take me some more time with a new rifle before I had really figured out.

My game took a real step up when I started using five flags and shooting more sighters. It is an oddity that competitive shooters shooting for score use sighters yet group shooters never seem to. That makes it difficult/impossible to learn wind holds which, for me, has become the best part of shooting.

I use the F Class target, 8 bulls by 5 rounds, so it gives me the best of both ... score and groups. 40 for score and unlimited sighters, 20 minutes to shoot'em. There is nothing more satisfying than shooting a bull with 5Xs, a .3 group that was shot with a half inch wind hold.

I think I might be onto something. This morning I went to the range and tested some SK flat nose match. It had been one of the poorer shooting SKs and wanted to try an experiment. I have a linear compensator on the barrel and thought I should try with and with out.
With thread protector the group averages were 0.45
With linear compensator the group averages were 0.72
With a switchback suppressor the group averages were 0.70

Seems like the barrel does not like these two accessories

Attachments

• 20230420_222021_resized.jpg
    20230420_222021_resized.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
Reactions: Williwaw
Even different weight suppressors will change things. I have 2 proof comp contours, they love a EC tuner brake, but also my .308 can. Without, they shot okish. I'd say groups reduced by 20% with the barrel attachments. My proof carbons don't do well with anything, they are best bare barrel

OK so this Lothar barrel shoots just fine. I bet its biggest weakness is the guy pulling the trigger. But having the linear comp on the barrel was definately hurting my accuracy.

SK Flat nose without thread protector was group 1 AVE 0.490
SK Flat nose with thread protector was group 2 AVE 0.518
Not seeing much difference for the thread protector from looking though the scope I decided to shoot these groups with the thread protector still on the barrel
SK Standard group 3 AVE 0.408
SK Long Range group 4 AVE 0.344
Laupa Center X group 5 AVE 0.462
SK Pistol Special Match group 6 AVE 0.526
SK Rifle Match group 7 AVE 0.522

Conditions were not perfect. Light breeze and almost dark. The bench I am shooting from is probably the wiggliest one at the range. Seeing the average was better from the barrel with no thread protector now I need to try them all again without it. Maybe pick a better bench or prone out. I also need to just work on basics and follow though.

Attachments

• part-0.jpg
    part-0.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 60