• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lottery question

srtsam

Paul
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    West TN
    I was thinking instead of having a single winner when the jackpot is 700 million why not have 700 one million winners? For most people a million dollars would still do a lot of good. plus more people could potentially benefit from it.
    just a thought

I was thinking instead of having a single winner when the jackpot is 700 million why not have 700 one million winners? For most people a million dollars would still do a lot of good. plus more people could potentially benefit from it.
    just a thought

The point of a lottery is to raise money for the party running the lottery.
    As such, the primary goal is to get people excited and wanting to buy more tickets.

It's been well proven that a lower chance at some astronomically huge number gets the class of folks who "invest" in lottery tickets to buy much more than a higher chance of a lower number.

Much like many stores found out people would actually pay more for something that has a 70% off clearance tag on it, than they would pay for the same item at at every day low price that was actually less than a "sale" price.

Reactions: Jonny_ and srtsam
    The point of a lottery is to raise money for the party running the lottery.
    As such, the primary goal is to get people excited and wanting to buy more tickets.

It's been well proven that a lower chance at some astronomically huge number gets the class of folks who "invest" in lottery tickets to buy much more than a higher chance of a lower number.

Much like many stores found out people would actually pay more for something that has a 70% off clearance tag on it, than they would pay for the same item at at every day low price that was actually less than a "sale" price.
    Here in Virginia it has been put to good use in the school system. If you consider public schools as a 'good'. Personally I consider them indoctrination camps.

Since the number of winners are determined by luck of the draw format, how would you get 700 winners to have the exact same winning numbers?

Since the number of winners are determined by luck of the draw format, how would you get 700 winners to have the exact same winning numbers?

Many lotteries that use a series of random numbers to pick the winner, offer smaller prizes for those that match for example all but 1 number.
    Other lotteries that simply pull entries randomly out of a list of entries often do the same with second and third prize drawings.

If anyone really wanted to split up the main prize, it would be easy enough to setup the rules of the game to make it simple to do.

Virginia ABC just had a lottery for some bottles of Pappy Van Winkle. Does that count?

I'm in and if I win Ill be selling it here for an ungodly scalping rip off price.