• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Louisiana Trust?

Surgeon308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2006
Boyce,LA
www.myspace.com
Anyone have personal experience of going through the process and have a source for the forms that work? Bryon @MM said Louisiana's trust requirements were a little different than most other states. TIA.

Louis

Re: Louisiana Trust?

Off topic, but what SOT are you using? I'm using LRA Gun club and they are currently over 1 year on my transfers because of their screwups. The only other guy I know in N. La is pretty nonresponsive too.

Contact Dag1055, I just transfered a can for him on a trust and it got process w/ no problem.

You can get the Trust already draw up specifically for Louisiana at findlegalforms.com

We have a working version posted in the Class 3 section on a Louisiana based board www.bayoushooter.com

I hope it isn't against rules to post another forum. If it is mods please feel free to delete. I didn't see anything about it in the rules.

Ok, followed the links and got to the trust form. Should I have it looked over by an attorney? BSP212, Bryon said LRA could handle the transfer, we'll see. Thanks to all. Looking up findlegalforms.com right now....

You should def have your attorney look at it. Mine was done by attorney.

I vote for having a attorney write one up. I had a attorney write mine up and haven't had any problems. I figured if I spent the money and had it written properly then I wouldn't end up in a legal fiasco.

I would have an attorney make sure it is legal. Louisiana has some unusual laws governing trusts. Just because the ATF stamped your form 4 for the trust, does not make it legal. There is a case ongoing currently where ATF approved a form 4, but then later it was found that the trust was invalid due to a small technicality. They are currently seeking criminal charges against the owner for unlawful possession of an NFA item. They do not care that they approved the form 4, or ask for a simple amendment to the trust.

Pay a qualified attorney $150 or so to look it over.

Also Morey at 10-8 Tactical in NOLA can help you get squared away if you need any other help. SOT/FFL, Jarhead, good guy.

Sean

Just got off the phone with my attorney. Kind of gave him a run down of what I was trying to do, he said we could do a trust, but he recommended an LLC for Louisiana. That possible?

I got a little lost after "fiduciary duties of trustees", but he did say that a trust isn't for infinity in Louisiana. I'm gonna print out the one from bayoushooter.com and get the procedures straight in my head and go over to his office next Friday. He said I could go either route, depending on what I needed. I'll try to pick his brain a little more tomorrow over the LSU game.

You can pull the LLC forms online from the Secretary of State's website and file it yourself. It will cost you $25 annually and a yearly status report to maintain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Louis Phillips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got off the phone with my attorney. Kind of gave him a run down of what I was trying to do, he said we could do a trust, but he recommended an LLC for Louisiana. That possible?

I got a little lost after "fiduciary duties of trustees", but he did say that a trust isn't for infinity in Louisiana. I'm gonna print out the one from bayoushooter.com and get the procedures straight in my head and go over to his office next Friday. He said I could go either route, depending on what I needed. I'll try to pick his brain a little more tomorrow over the LSU game. </div></div>

The only downside with the LLC is you have to pay the fees every year. With an Trust you only pay them once. An LLC is easier to do in Louisiana. The one on bayoushooter was done by an attorney but I don't know his background on history. There are several attorneys that post on the board and I personally am a third year law student. I'd recommend you have your attorney look at it but I wouldn't pay him any astronomical fees to do so because there are several people in our state that do these on a regular basis.

Talked with him last night (sad evening for LSU huh?), even a "non-profit" has a yearly fee. I've got a meeting next Friday and will get everything in order then. I will post the outcome and hopefully have some insight into this process.

Just an update for the Louisiana boys. He explained the Trust vs. LLC Friday. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going with the LLC. $25 a year? That's a drop in the bucket when looking at the overall cost of this "sport". I'll keep you guys updated, this is a learning experience for me and I appreciate all the help.

Who do I contact with the state for the "permit" as noted on MM's website?

***Louisiana Suppressor Owners***

Need your help. LLC is set up/approved by sec. of state, paperwork is at attorney's office. What is my next step?

Find dealer and order? I found a dealer out of state with a good price, but should I pay retail instate to save hastle? (Out of state dealer is not specifically familiar with Louisiana purchase).

Who do I need to contact with the state for approval of ownership of suppressor?

I'd love to talk with someone instate to discuss. Please PM # and I'll call.

Thanks for any input.

Louis

Decide what you want, check and see if anyone has it in stock, if so pay for it, and submit your Form 4, wait, and wait, and wait some more, and when the call comes in, pick it up and shoot.

If you can't find what you want locally, have it transferred to your Class III, and do the above.