• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Low and Left

Harronek

Never stop learning
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2021
Australia
I've been recently shooting a new to me Tikka .223 rifle . I've developed an accurate load for it and overall I'm very happy with it .
I was shooting some groups to fine tune my seating depth and encountered a problem that I haven't had before .
I was shooting 4 shot groups(100yrds) to conserve my components and this test was more of a final conformation rather than a test .
In each group I had a Low Left flyer and I can definitely say that it was something I was doing , not the Rifle/Ammo combo .
The Rifle recoiled/moved up and left at the shot breaking , it was noticeable and I knew the shot was bad even before the scope resettled on the Target .
What in my shooting form should I be looking at to try and track down the source of this problem ?
Everything felt right before the shot in my set up but the rifles reaction tells me somethings not right with my process .Something bad has crept in to my shooting form because I've not encountered this before .
Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

L7jUHwk.jpg

Edit - I should have added that these were shot prone , Harris Bipod , rear bag

Last edited:
was it the same shot number in the group?

do you clean the bore between groups?

need to look at what you do differently shot to shot and group to group. for instance if its always the first shot, maybe youre not building your position correctly and then correcting it for the next 3, if its the last, maybe you are loosing concentration at the last moment before firing- maybe have someone film you whilst you shoot a few groups, and nothe which shots go where during shooting

Reactions: Gee Kay
This standard answer is your fundamentals are off, specifically your trigger press.

Low left is a classic "too much trigger pull" aka your finger is pulling the rifle after you break the shot.

Check if you have the trigger pinned back after the shot. If you here Frank and Mark talk about "Press Break Freeze", it's the freeze part. You only want enough force to release the trigger, anything else goes into the rifle

Ask me how I know.

Reactions: iceng and Baron23
The Flyer's weren't first/cold bore shots .
A couple of the responses have me thinking I will concentrate my attention on the Trigger and Cheek areas to see if that helps .

Cheers

Assuming you're a RH shooter, check your cheek pressure on the stock. If you are "prairie dogging" (picking your head up at the break), that could drop your shot low left.

I've been recently shooting a new to me Tikka .223 rifle . I've developed an accurate load for it and overall I'm very happy with it .
I was shooting some groups to fine tune my seating depth and encountered a problem that I haven't had before .
I was shooting 4 shot groups(100yrds) to conserve my components and this test was more of a final conformation rather than a test .
In each group I had a Low Left flyer and I can definitely say that it was something I was doing , not the Rifle/Ammo combo .
The Rifle recoiled/moved up and left at the shot breaking , it was noticeable and I knew the shot was bad even before the scope resettled on the Target .
What in my shooting form should I be looking at to try and track down the source of this problem ?
Everything felt right before the shot in my set up but the rifles reaction tells me somethings not right with my process .Something bad has crept in to my shooting form because I've not encountered this before .
Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

L7jUHwk.jpg

Edit - I should have added that these were shot prone , Harris Bipod , rear bag
Well, its is a bit low but its well left. In addition to trigger control mentioned above, there is cheek pressure (yeah, also already mentioned).

Do you happen to be a shotgunner by any chance? I ask because I shot competitive skeet for a very long time and had the habit of my head VERY firmly on the comb of the stock and nose turned in just a bit so my eye tooth touched wood. This was very not good for scoped rifle shooting. Maybe look at how hard you are pressing the comb against your right cheek.

Good luck.

Well with a .223 I wouldn't think anticipation would be causing it so like others have said it's like a trigger pull issue.

If you can, video yourself and borrow a triggercam. I learn so much from watching it all back in 4k, 120fps.