• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - range report, post mods.

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
This update is concerning a range report after the modifications up to this point.

I finally had the oppurtunity to get to the range, the conditions were close to the original "virgin" range report. As I got to the range, the wind which was again sustained @ 12 mph while I was shooting at 50 yards. By the time I got to 100 yards, the wind started to get variable between 8 and 16 mph, and changing direction. I can adjust for sustained, but not to the amount of that variable wind at 100 with a .22, and the groups were all over. I had gone today, 4 degrees, no wind, which is a bit different than the original "virgin" range report, but continued anyway.

I also shot 10 round groups rather than the 5 round groups I had originally shot as the trigger finger started to get numb from the cold, and started to throw some shots. But the good thing is the pulls were able to be called, and was a malfunction of the shooter and not the equipment. I figured the 10 shot groups would give me a better feel for an average.

50 yard - Most of the groups were decent, with the high velocity federal bulk pack ammo with the most open group, which was to be expected. The circled hits were ones that I new I pulled as I lost the feeling of the trigger in the cold.
MKIIF50YDPOSTMOD.jpg

Either before or after the modifications, the rifle seems to be quite a shooter at 50 yards. The lower poundage trigger with less creep allowed be to call my pulls more accurately and gave me a sense of being in control of the shot. The work done on the grip and trigger gaurd in combination with the cheek piece allowed for a heck of alot more comfort and a feeling of "being one with the stock". Once satisfied at 50, I moved to 100 yards.

MKIIF100YDPOSTMODB4CROWN.jpg

OK, it's not a tack driver, nor did I ever expect it to be. However, there was a bit of improvement over the original range report. Again the comfort level was increase substantially, and possibly the lack of wind made the groups less "stringy" with the match type ammo. I didn't have much faith in the remington subsonics, as they always opened up for me past 50 yards, no matter what rifle I used. The Federal bulk was all over also, and I stopped shooting them after 5 rounds.

I have to admit, the results was a bit of a let down as I was expecting more, but then again it is a $127.00 rifle, and the groups were about .25" smaller than the original range report. They were averaging 1.75" to 2", now 1.5" to 1.75" at 100 yards with the match ammos, and the Remington subsonics performed better along with the Federal bulk stuff, swo there was some improvement. I shot another target, with about the same results.

I then figured that's about as good as it's going to get, then thought I'd do something that I have done to other rimfires with decent results, and that's to trim up the crown a little. This isn't for the weak at heart and any gunsmith reading this would probably be cringing about now, but I took a chamfer tool used for reloading, and tried as evenly as I could to uniformly trim the end of the muzzle.

Muzzle before...
MKIIFMUZZLEB4CROWN.jpg

...during...
MKIIFMAKINGCROWN.jpg

...after. It's hard to notice in the photo, but there is a silver ring around the end of the lands and grooves where the metal was removed.
MKIIFAFTERCROWN.jpg

Sounds insane, but it did seem to work, 100 yards after the "crown job".
MKIIF100YDPOSTMODCROWNED.jpg

Interestingly, the POI also changed to the right.

After getting home and measuring all the targets, it seemed that the groups were shrunk slightly more with the Wolf Match Extra ending at just under 1.25", and the Aguila Match at 1.5".

At this point I'm NOT very confident that the rifle will be better than a 1.25" to 1.5" rifle, but considering it is based on a $127.00 rifle with a $69.00 scope on it (bare bones), not too shabby either. Either sized grouping would be "usable" for smallbore silhoutte, as long as I do my part on a solid hold

I went to the 200 yard range, and realized quickly that the scope is going to run out of adjustment, and will probably put a 20 moa base on it if i plan on using it there. I was able to get 63 "up" 1/4" clicks out of it from my 50 yard zero before I couldn't get any more adjustment.

At this point i was running low on ammo, and did not post a target to get a group size. But I was able (to within reason) see the dirt hits on a small area of the snowy bank using my maxed out adjustment and:

1) 2 mildot holdover on 10X using the Fed. Bulk Pack, 4 mils on 14X
2) more consistant was the Wolf, using 7 mildot holdover on 10X, 5 mildot holdover on 14X
3) decent impacts with Aguila, 6 mildot holdover on 10 X, 4 mildot holdover on 14X

Even without having the advantage of a paper target to measure, the impacts where consistant enough to reason that 200 yard shooting can be obtainable. Once finished, I returned to 50 yards, with the 50 yard adjustment back to "0", and shot similar groups. So return to zero with this scope is good.

I also had a chance to do some squirrel hunting with it, and although I couldn't find one to save my life, some feedback:

1) the improved grip is not only comfortable at the bench, but in the field also.
2) the 10 round magazine has to go, it's too cumbersome and tends to get in the way both at the range and in the field.
3) the side carry option is nice, leaving your hands open to use binocs, take a drink, or whatever, while having the rifle easily at the ready.

So that's the results so far. I believe I may bed the action to see what that may produce, and hopefully be able to shoot on a day that the tempurature is less extreme not only with the beddied action, but results at 200 yards.

But if around 1.5" at 100 yards would suit your needs, this little project so far would fit the bill as a Low Budget .22 that serves as a "tactical" trainer, smallbore silhoutte hunter class rifle, and a heck of a small game shooter. The "bare bones" costing less than the originally planned $300.00, with the extras driving it up some. Mix and match to your needs.

RIFLE...............$127.00
BIPOD.................39.97
B. GROUND CHECK........5.00
SCOPE.................69.97
RINGS................. 9.47
ULTRA BLACK KRYLON.... 4.44
STUDS (2 packs)....... 9.98
CHEEKPIECE+RAIL.......42.00
SLING.................16.97
BASES(USED AS RAILS)...6.49
"CHEAP ACCESSORIES
MATERIALS"............15.00
FEELER GUAGE "SHIMS"...3.00
TAX...................20.06

= $369.35

OVERALL TIME = 34.5 HOURS

Re: LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - range report, post mods.

Looks like a good shooter to me! Nice job!!!
smile.gif

Just curious, what size groups were you hoping for at 100y?

do you think when it is warmer you will see better results?
Would trying Eley or Lapua ammo tighten it up?

A 1.5 inch .22 at 100 yards is good to go in my book.

So 15MOA up from 50yards with the Center Point? Would you put a Center Point on a centerfire?

thanks for info, lots of people will benifit from this project.

i was actually hoping for under 2" b4 the mods (which it did), and about 1.25" or less after the mods. however i can't be too let down, it is after all a $130.00 rifle, and an average of 1.5" isn't too bad.

i think the groups may be better in better weather, at least as far as the shooter's performance goes.

i'm also thinking the Centerpoint would be ok on a centerfire, (although i haven't put one on a centerfire to back it up). at least a .223 to about a .308 should be ok, and at least it has a lifetime warrnaty, so you are not really "out of a scope" if it craps out.

they make what appears to be more upgraded models, which i may consider putting on a future centerfire rifle. the customer reviews i've seen on them from walmart and other sources seem to be favorable, even on a .3006. but i don't generally make an opinion on something unless i've tried it myself. but i would consider it for $69.00.

The rifle is a shooter. You have not found the bullets it likes. Go buy 5 or as many different kinds of brands of 22lr ammo that you can get your hands on. The 22lr rife are finicky when it comes to ammo. It will do great with a certain kind at 50 yds but will suck at 100yds and vice versa it may like a certain kind at 100 yds but not at 50. My remington 513T likes remington target at 50 and hates wolf match at 50. Loves winchester subsonics at 100 yds but hates remington target at 100. Continue to experiment with different brands until you find what it likes.

yeah that's the next step, as i have already done that with my mkii bv - with 23 different ammos - match, hv, standard vel., and hyper.

this was just a quicky using only 4 types - wolf (which is usually good in everything) rem subsonics (available just about anywhere and cheap) federeal bulk (550 for 14.97) and the aguila which shoots comparable to the wolf in the BV model (at half the price). i figured that covered a good spectrum of ammo without investing another 200.00 in ammo to see what shoots and doesn't, at least for the immediate purpose of the write up and the silhoutte matches that start next month.

I would agree better weather should make a difference - though 1.5" groups at 100 yards isn't bad IMHO. I know you tested a lot of ammo with your MK II-BV, TP. That Centerpoint scope you have installed seems to be a good one. I think I'll get one as well in the Spring and play around with it after all the good things I've read about them from the folks that have been using these.

First post to say thanks for the information; I am a complete newb and have been reading the stickies and forums here to learn as much as I can before investing in a starter precision rifle. Your thread has made me consider holding off on doing something like the SC entry package and just get out there with a 22 and start plinking. Thanks again, TP - I might give this project a try (sans diy trigger job), possibly with the bv you mentioned. One question - maybe i missed it: which sling did you use for this project and why?

sorry for the long delay in getting back to you on the sling.

the first reason is beacause it was right there on the shelf at walmart, for a low price.

the second is that it is a wider sling than average for a plain nylon webbed sling, which gives a bit more gripping surface and stability.

third, it actually has a nice quick adjust feature that can be utilized between going to different shooting positions.

forth, it seemed to fit the "tacticool look" of the entire platform.