• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Low cantilever mount for bolt action

Ed_

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2006
Hi guys, I put together a small bolt rifle for NRL22 and I have a problem I hope you can help me with.

The optic is a USO 3-12x and the rifle is a Savage Mark II. The issue is that the optic sits 2” further out than I need. The cantilever options I’ve seen are meant for AR’s and they elevate the scope an additional 1/2”, which I could do without.

In the picture you have a 20 MOA EGW mount made for the Savage Mark II (that has had the last 1” cut off so not to interfere with the scope). The rings have a 0.37” base height. The scope takes 30mm rings and the space for them is a bit short of 4” (which rules out some mounts)

Any thoughts on how to make this optic to best work with this rifle?

Thanks!!

578D11ED-6CDC-4C33-833A-9CE0656DE674.jpeg

Taller narrower rings will allow you to move the scope back some.
Thanks! That’s is true, we may gain 0.5” with narrower rings. After that I run out of rail on rear. Would like to move it 2” though :(

Thanks! That’s is true, we may gain 0.5” with narrower rings. After that I run out of rail on rear. Would like to move it 2” though :(

I just looked at the specs and it looks like the LOP is 13.9". If you don't need that much LOP you could shorten the stock which would be the same as moving the scope back.

I just looked at the specs and it looks like the LOP is 13.9". If you don't need that much LOP you could shorten the stock which would be the same as moving the scope back.
That would work! And is the cheapest solution too 👍🏻

I’ll wait a day or two before taking a saw to it… just in case.

I looked at my other scopes and anything that would work better for this setup would break the $1,200 rifle + scope limit and put me in open class, and then there would always be a reason to spend more.

I found one cantilever ring mount where the distance between rings and ring sizes is less than 4” and so it is small enough to fit, but the height would go up 0.59”. I’m gonna go with a rail extension that adds 0.5” and leaves me the option to use shorter rings (with a bit of milling) and maybe reduce extra height to 0.37”.

I've looked all over. It's hard to find low profile offset rings or mount. Even harder if you don't want to break the bank doing it. Seems offset rings/mounts are all designed for use with flat top AR's. Still , you can make them work if you can live with an extra 1/2" of height or so. This is one with a 1.6" rise that I used to back up a difficult to mount 10-40x56 scope on my Vudoo.

Attachments

• 20220903_124411.jpg
    20220903_124411.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Reactions: Ed_
That would work! And is the cheapest solution too 👍🏻

I’ll wait a day or two before taking a saw to it… just in case.
Wouldn't that stock modification disallow your rifle from factory class competitions?

Good question. I do not know. Right now I’m just moving back the scope with a rail extension, perhaps getting lower rings, and adding a kydex bolt-on cheek riser.

i use the ADM mount on my 6.5c RPR. Great mounts, holes zero if removed very well. I have the 0 canted model since the RPR base plates are canted from factory. I run the ADM on my AR as well but catilever of course. They are lil bit cheaper than LaRue mounts. $150ish range.

The LaRue mounts do not fit. They need about 4.1-4.2” of tube to mount. I only have about 3.9”. I sent a question to ADM. Thanks!

This is the solution I went with. That chunk of metal looks like a mess, but it is part of my strategy of being underestimated 🤣

5D0C2284-7997-4EFE-807D-E92DCC21B50E.jpeg

This is the solution I went with. That chunk of metal looks like a mess, but it is part of my strategy of being underestimated 🤣

View attachment 7975085
I just can’t imagine the body type that wouldn’t have your face in the scope with this set-up in prone. What is the eye relief on this scope?

Looks like you found a solution. I'm using the same scope on a 10/22. It's not the best glass I've ever used, but I do think it's perfectly suited to .22LR. The only problem I have with it is that the short body doesn't have much real estate for the rings and I completely understand how you had problems. I ended up having to find an extended rail to get enough eye relief on mine.

Attachments

• 1022.VQ.jpg
    1022.VQ.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 62