• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Low End (Communist) Optics

AlterEgo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2008
Ok guys, we've talked about the high end, what about the low end?

Is the commie stuff any good? I mean the low power stuff up to the "1P21" optics.

For example, I have a VOMZ 4x with a Dragunov reticle I picked up in Perm for $40US. Shot an Appleseed this weekend and ended up using it (backup). Tracked fine, has its issues, but was clear and a functional scope. Adjustments were consistent, etc.

How are the AK scopes, etc.?

Please discuss....

Re: Low End (Communist) Optics

This is not going to be a positive outcome of this thread, this place is pretty hard on crappy optics.

If you wanted something that's repeatable, has a reasonably well addressed feature list, and very affordable look at the Tasco Varmint/Target line.

Target turrets, mil dot, OK glass, but works well enough that I have a couple of them. Probably one of the better kept secrets of the "cheap" glass community.

I am fundamentally challenged by marketing claims of mil-spec quality for 1" tube scopes from a metric nation.

That said, the weaver base versions of the psop series can be good values. The universal 4x24 is tonka tuff and has yellow tint to the view. The higher power/variables are usually notably more clear. The main issue with the weaver base versions is the feet are too close to bridge a bolt gun.

I have enjoyed a 4-8x with a FFP illuminated dragunov reticle for about 7 years. Sure it's not my Bushy 4200 or Loopy VXIII view, but it can survive my FAL recoil. And for racing balls down range on either the M15A4 or 10/22, it was $140 damn well spent.

That's funny, there was a guy at my AS this weekend that shot great with one of those. Shot well with anything he tried, really.

Hi Sespe, was that the AS shoot run by the crazy Postman?

LOL!

I've had a couple of 6x POSPs, and for the money, they were pretty clear. I never really put them through their paces though. I did always think that the 2nd one might have been 1 degree off vertical true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlterEgo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Sespe, was that the AS shoot run by the crazy Postman?

LOL! </div></div>

Maybe we should market it that way, "Learn to shoot like a mailman!"

Scope looked fine to me. Wish we could have tried it at longer ranges.

POSP 8x42 seems a decent scope, bright enough, convenient enough - and worth the money ($189). Quite a good match to SVD or PSL-54C. (I still need to see how it tracks, but one thing at a time.
smile.gif
)

You might want a more sophisticated scope on your TRG, probably.
smile.gif

I bought a 3-9x scope from kalinka around 8 years ago. Made in Bellarus, FFP, dragunov reticle, acceptable glass. My innitial impressions were positive but tube was flimsy and in attempt to torque it down enough keep it from walking in the rings I crimped the tube and the clicks were worthless.

I religated it to duty on my .22 for awhile and finally retired it in favor of a super sniper.

Still I did like Dragunov reticle. I'm dissapointed IOR dosn't offer it as an option anymore.

I have givin up on any of that glass I will sell a few pretty cheap half of what I paid for them