• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Low flash powder for .357 Mag

former naval person

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2003
Mississippi
What powder have the hide members found for that use...low flash, nearly full power, in a short barrel (3") .357, using 125 grain bullets?

Re: Low flash powder for .357 Mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What powder have the hide members found for that use...low flash, nearly full power, in a short barrel (3") .357, using 125 grain bullets?</div></div>

In very general terms, powders on the faster-burning end of the spectrum tend to generate less flash all other things being equal. I get my best .45 ACP ballistic performance from Power Pistol, but the muzzle signature is significantly more pronounced than what W231 produces at a cost of ~ 40 fps. at the same pressure predicted by Quick Load.

I understand that some commercially loaded defense ammo uses powder specially formulated to reduce flash, but I'm not aware of anything available to handloaders that's marketed as a low-flash powder.

Me neither, but I thought I'd ask. I was thinking Blue Dot but don't have any on hand. Before I bought a pound to try out, I figured I might sift through the Hide's brains. Thanks.

Stay with W231 or W540!! We did an extensive test years ago shooting combat out in Colorado Springs. We tested in a gun range that had Star loaders set up in 9mm, 38SPL, 357 mag, 38 Super, 44 mag, 45 ACP, and 45LC. All revolvers were 4" barrels with the exception of the 45Lc which was 6". The auto's were S&W 59, S&W 39 in 9mm, 38 SPL & 357 mag was S&W 10 & S&W 19 & Colt Python, 38 Super & 45 ACP were Colt Gov models. 45 LC was S&W 25 and 44 was S&W 29.

A lot of powders were tried and several factory loads. The absolute worst for flash was Federal 357 mag 158 gr JHP factory loads, they were blinding for 10' around!! Long story short, W 231 in everything but 45LC & 44 Mag. Those 2 won out with UNique for lowest flash and complete burn.

Obviously this was just a sampling of what was avaialble but just thought I would pass on our results.

RIch

Power Pistol and Blue Dot have biggest flash I use.

3N37 is the lowest flash I use.

I loaded several hundred rounds of 125g 357 Mag using VihtaVuori N340 last Spring, and found that not only was there very little flash and almost nothing to clean out of the revolver, I actually got 5-shot groups at 25 yards that were barely larger than 3/4 inch.

N340 is also usable for 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 SIG, and 45acp, and other handgun calibers. And, meters well. Pretty ideal powder.

Jim G